don't shoot me! (2 Viewers)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
A team that comes second, bagging over 70points, with just 2 points under the champions is not what I'd call a poor team effort. The points lost during the year were more or less mistakes by individual players, there's no denying that. Zidane was one of the main culprits for our early exit from the CL (anyone still remember him on the mobile laughing around while Juve were playing and losing against Panathinaikos?). I adore Zidane, but he surely did not help in that season for the CL campaign.

Same on VDS, he cost us points for the league and that's a fact. He's not the only culprit, but he's the main culprit. Other culprits? Well Inzaghi had a bad season scoring very few goals, and he even missed that penalty in the 43rd minute of the second half against Lecce that cost us 2 important points.
Well, you caught one. So, Edwin cost the team points in the league. And he was still the least scored on keeper in Serie A. He still won many games for the team too. Every other player on the team cost us points at one point or another too, and there were potentially better and more expencive players out there to be bought. So why didn't it happen to the rest of the team?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Because the other players made 2/3 mistakes in the whole season. for Edwin it was more a case of nearly a mistake every match ;)

Then again even Zidane and Inzaghi were sold :)

Hey mate don't take it against me cos I don't like VDS, it's just my opinion, but I'm enjoying discussing this whole VDS-Buffon issue ;) Now for the next round.... :D

Jul 12, 2002
Because the other players made 2/3 mistakes in the whole season. for Edwin it was more a case of nearly a mistake every match ;)
That ridicolous and you know it. He did not make mistakes in every game.

Then again even Zidane and Inzaghi were sold :)
That makes no difference to me, they were sold for different reasons: Zidane because he wanted to go, and Inzaghi because he was being replaced. Why wasn't Iuliano sold, or Tacchinardi, or Conte for that matter?

Hey mate don't take it against me cos I don't like VDS, it's just my opinion, but I'm enjoying discussing this whole VDS-Buffon issue ;) Now for the next round.... :D
I know that a lot of Juve fans have a dislike for Edwin, and I am one of the few who thinks so little of Gigi, but I shall endevour to present my position, because I think it to be valid.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Yeah Tacchinardi should have been sold after last season. I remember he was being booed out of the matches when he was being substituted since he was playing so bad. Luckily for us, he regained the same form he showed 2 seasons ago.

I don't dislike Edwin as such, I dislike the mistakes he did.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #146
    anyone watched the brescia match?

i will not comment on the first half,for i only watched the final 10 minutes of the first half.however buffon was dreadful in the second half.

he couldn't even hold on to the shot from toni(i think) and it hit even hit his chin.if brescia had been playing igli tare with luca toni instead of just toni alone,juve would have surely let in a horrible goal if tare got onto the rebound.he should really have held onto that one.

and please,don't go raving about that save buffon made from one of the counterattacks,it was aimed straight towards him.

baggio's disallowed goal was surely saveable,it went directly below his body and wasn't exactly a piledriver.and if you're telling me he didn't make an effort to save it because he "knew" it was offside,all the worse.no keeper,or player for that fact, should make assumptions like that and baggio did the right thing by shooting even when he knew very well that he was offside as there was always a chance that the linesmen would have missed it.

and appiah's goal wasn't a bad finish but it would have only taken a good save to save and hold onto it.it was a soft goal to let in for "the world's best keeper".buffon looked as if he didn't know where it was going and relinquished juve's lead all too easily.he could have easily cost us 2 points and if it weren't for ale's super finish we would have missed out on a great chance to capitalize on inter's failure to win.:down:

i am utterly disappointed.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Dreadful? He only had normal administratin yesterday and he performed quite well. The save on Toni was good cos Buffon's best asset is his positioning; another keeper might have not been in that position ;)

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #148
    he was in the centre of goal:you're telling me some other keeper would be standing on the left or right of goal if toni was in the centre?

Jul 12, 2002
    Yeah Tacchinardi should have been sold after last season. I remember he was being booed out of the matches when he was being substituted since he was playing so bad. Luckily for us, he regained the same form he showed 2 seasons ago.

I don't dislike Edwin as such, I dislike the mistakes he did.
    Well, at least you admitt the dualism that occured.

Brunhilde

Apr 29, 2003
    I had those debates enough

They went like:
    All journalists and coaches are stupid bastards...And you are the only one who "technically" know what "exactly" goalie or someone else should do in the field

It would be pleasure to have arguments without comments from self-named "professional" but arrogant "commentators".

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #151
    firstly,welcome to juventuz.

secondly,
    i've never said anyone else was stupid whatsoever....my point is,he is so vastly overrated,because of his reputation at parma and his statistics alone while he has played for juve.if people can for a second put aside all earlier perceptions of him and re-evaluate him i'm sore he wouldn't fare as well.i do not dismiss someone else's opinion merely because i think otherwise,i am open to constructive criticism of my statements from anyone,including you.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++
    firstly,welcome to juventuz.

secondly,
    i've never said anyone else was stupid whatsoever....my point is,he is so vastly overrated,because of his reputation at parma and his statistics alone while he has played for juve.if people can for a second put aside all earlier perceptions of him and re-evaluate him i'm sore he wouldn't fare as well.i do not dismiss someone else's opinion merely because i think otherwise,i am open to constructive criticism of my statements from anyone,including you.
    Well this may be true but for u to have a constructive criticism , you have to give credit and then issue out blame but you have rubbished all Buffon's saves and highlighted his errors, you have blamed him for every goal he has conceded and ridiculed his saves.

Being at the right place at the right time is part and parcel of a keepers job and anticipation is a big plus for a keeper but that obviously means nothing to you as you are more impressed with all those camera saves that your faves make

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
    Dec 20, 2002
    I totally have to disagree that Buffon is not too good.

He is too good for me. Consistent even at a young age. He will mature in time, which is good. And hang on to this:

He will be the world's No.1

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #154
    ++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
    Well this may be true but for u to have a constructive criticism , you have to give credit and then issue out blame but you have rubbished all Buffon's saves and highlighted his errors, you have blamed him for every goal he has conceded and ridiculed his saves.
    i have given him credit for his saves before.that save a couple of weeks back from a freekick was great,and i said so.however he has a couple of saves to his name which many exaggerate,eg. the save from kluivert.i have never rubbished his saves which do not deserve to be rubbished in any way,for instance i didn't say that that kluivert save was a bad one but that it didn't take anything world class to pull it off eg. many others could have done it.however many overrated the save which i cannot understand why.as for blaming him for conceding goals,i think they are justified as lately there have been a couple of goals which could have been prevented.i do not expect buffon to save ones like those against depor at the SDA,for they are beyond any human's reach.however you cannot blame me for placing my expectations high if many here are to place him among the world's best,or as THE best.
    Being at the right place at the right time is part and parcel of a keepers job and anticipation is a big plus for a keeper but that obviously means nothing to you as you are more impressed with all those camera saves that your faves make
    before i say anything please tell me which of his saves have been due to his immaculate positioning,eg.he was standing somewhere no ordinary keeper would have been standing and saved the resulting shot as a result.

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #155
    i have given him credit for his saves before.that save a couple of weeks back from a freekick was great,and i said so.however he has a couple of saves to his name which many exaggerate,eg. the save from kluivert.i have never rubbished his saves which do not deserve to be rubbished in any way,for instance i didn't say that that kluivert save was a bad one but that it didn't take anything world class to

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #156
    i have given him credit for his saves before.that save a couple of weeks back from a freekick was great,and i said so.however he has a couple of saves to his name which many exaggerate,eg. the save from kluivert.i have never rubbished his saves which do not deserve to be rubbished in any way,for instance i didn't say that that kluivert save was a bad one but that it didn't take anything world class to pull it off eg. many others could have done it.however many overrated the save which i cannot understand why.as for blaming him for conceding goals,i think they are justified as lately there have been a couple of goals which could have been prevented.i do not expect buffon to save ones like those against depor at the SDA,for they are beyond any human's reach.however you cannot blame me for placing my expectations high if many here are to place him among the world's best,or as THE best.
    before i say anything please tell me which of his saves have been due to his immaculate positioning,eg.he was standing somewhere no ordinary keeper would have been standing and saved the resulting shot as a result.

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
    Dec 20, 2002
    buffon is indispensible. we paid good money for him. and he's more than worth it, if not worth every cent.

he always performs above par.

he has so much confidence between the posts.

he has so much passion to play.

he's conceded not so many goals.

the stats and his reputation speaks out loud,

he is above average if not always impressive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)