don't shoot me! (5 Viewers)

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Rickenbacker never in the life me, have I ever seen a keeper make so many mistakes in one season. For all the money he's paid he shouldn't make all those mistakes.

When Peruzzi was with Juve, I rarely saw him make a mistake, and I expect Buffon to fare the same way.

VDS was undefendable, and his mistakes cost us dearly.
It seems that I've defended him pretty well as you are retreating again.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
Retrating? Where??

I would never choose VDS, not even for a local Sunday league football team ;)
You have no points to counter my points other than that you dislike him! That's no argument!

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Rickenbacker2 ] ++

You have no points to counter my points other than that you dislike him! That's no argument!
Umm yes I did. The ridiculously large amount of mistakes VDS made in his last Juve season were unbelievable and undefendable for a highly paid professional. That's a fact.

I don't mind the occasional mistake that even Buffon did at the start of last season, but not when you make mistakes week in, week out.

The defence line was alays worried when the ball was close to the keeper, and they showed they were not confident in his abilities. On the other hand, Buffon inspires much more confidence to his defence and you can see how much more relaxed the defenders play around him.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
Actually, juve's defense played more comfortably during Van Der sar's couple of years with juve. tudor played excellent though there was no Thuram.

juve's defense isn't too solid now, but that has nothing to do with buffon.

but i agree that The whole team feels comfortable when Buffon is behind them as he rarely makes mistakes.

Maybe juve's defense played 110% a few years ago because they knew VDS wasn't too great behind them ;)

*** waiting for an attack by Ian ;)

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #127
    ++ [ originally posted by JuVe!! ] ++
    Two More world Class Saves From The Great Gigi Buffon On Kulivert. The Voley and the cross.
    volley?you mean the one aimed straight at him?it would have hit his chest if he stood still,nothing to shout about.the cross i don't know anything about,must've been nothing worth mentioning.it wasn't a world class performance simply because there wasn't much for him to do other than routine catches i would have no problems with.the only real save on the night was bonano's from neddy's long shot.if that's not enough,look at toldo's.

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #128
    ++ [ originally posted by bubba ] ++
    yo paranoia, did you happen to see the Barca match..buffon made a very fine save and some great catches that kept us in the match..
    ditto.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++

volley?you mean the one aimed straight at him?it would have hit his chest if he stood still,nothing to shout about.the cross i don't know anything about,must've been nothing worth mentioning.it wasn't a world class performance simply because there wasn't much for him to do other than routine catches i would have no problems with.the only real save on the night was bonano's from neddy's long shot.if that's not enough,look at toldo's.
    The one on Kluivert was good, and also when Luis enrique came one on one with him, Buffon closed the space fast and well, thus preventing him from scoring ;)

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #130
    enrique took a tad too long,should have shot on the turn when he could.i can't see why everyone is raving about the kluivert save tho.

bubba

Apr 6, 2003

volley?you mean the one aimed straight at him?it would have hit his chest if he stood still,nothing to shout about.the cross i don't know anything about,must've been nothing worth mentioning.it wasn't a world class performance simply because there wasn't much for him to do other than routine catches i would have no problems with.
    the reason it was straight at him is becaus of he's positional play...and if it had just hit his chest it would bounce very nicely back to kluivert and he'll score...

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    enrique took a tad too long,should have shot on the turn when he could.i can't see why everyone is raving about the kluivert save tho.
    please please give the guy credit already, the save he made against Kluivert, he had no idea where the ball will be placed but he was right there to snuff the danger and that save put us in the semi final, against Enrique he stood on his feet long enuff to make Enrique hesitate and thereby miss the chance, if he went down early the it will be easy for Enrique to chip and score

The Bonano save if that had beaten any keeper , Id have been disgusted

Your hero Barthez, how many clangers did he drop against Real madrid, he was roundly booed last nite as the 1st goal was his fault and the third goal what was he doing of his line, incredibly he did not make a single save last nite and every clear cut chance Madrid had they scored from and in the football phone in most man u supporters want him out

Toldo , sure he had a gr8 nite in Valencia, still conceded 2 golas though, and has dropped more clangers than Buffon this season

The one fault I find with Buffon is I think he does not move or cannot move his feet fast enuff to change direction and thats why he gets flat footed a lot of the times, apart from that he is gr8

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    Hey paranoia i Ve a great idea why don't we sell Buffon for High some of cash and hire you instead as a better replacment;) and on free transfer too.;)

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    i remember people were talking shit about buffon in WC2002 saying that he wasnt good and stuff, but on tuesday buffon finally proved me that he is worth of being on a team like juve. plus he was very expensive, lol

OP
    Desmond

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
  • Thread Starter #137
    ++ [ originally posted by JuVe!! ] ++
    Hey paranoia i Ve a great idea why don't we sell Buffon for High some of cash and hire you instead as a better replacment;) and on free transfer too.;)
    i take it that you're being sarcastic;)

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
    Actually, juve's defense played more comfortably during Van Der sar's couple of years with juve. tudor played excellent though there was no Thuram.

juve's defense isn't too solid now, but that has nothing to do with buffon.

but i agree that The whole team feels comfortable when Buffon is behind them as he rarely makes mistakes.

Maybe juve's defense played 110% a few years ago because they knew VDS wasn't too great behind them ;)

*** waiting for an attack by Ian ;)
    Continue to wait. Basically, I don't care anymore. Nobody ever listens to me, no matter what I say about Edwin. They always overlook the fact that the whole team played poorly that year, they overlook that he was the best keeper in Serie A, they overlook that Edwin is a better overal keeper than Buffon. They overlook that Buffon cost us way too much money, they overlook that Buffon has wasted Carini, bonnefoi, and Mirante. They overlook that Edwin was a fine servant to the team who never complained or sturck back despite being under constant fire from fans. They overlook that Buffon, just like Edwin, has several significant deficiencies, and they overlook that one day, Buffon will make mistakes.

Nobody listens, they just say, "oh remember when VDS let in that goal, that was terrible.", they never say, "oh remember all the times when Edwin saved our asses," and no one ever remembers that Edwin did much more to help Juve while he was here than he did to hurt them.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    They always overlook the fact that the whole team played poorly that year
    A team that comes second, bagging over 70points, with just 2 points under the champions is not what I'd call a poor team effort. The points lost during the year were more or less mistakes by individual players, there's no denying that. Zidane was one of the main culprits for our early exit from the CL (anyone still remember him on the mobile laughing around while Juve were playing and losing against Panathinaikos?). I adore Zidane, but he surely did not help in that season for the CL campaign.

Same on VDS, he cost us points for the league and that's a fact. He's not the only culprit, but he's the main culprit. Other culprits? Well Inzaghi had a bad season scoring very few goals, and he even missed that penalty in the 43rd minute of the second half against Lecce that cost us 2 important points.

Buffon has always been consistent since his first match against Milan at the age of 17, and has never looked back. Given the choice, I'd choose Buffon over any other keeper.

Patricia

Mar 22, 2003
    I think Buffon is great... :) :cool:If he was expensive or not, it's not a problem now, they already bought him, the thing now are his saves. He is doing great and that is the important thing

PD: I wouldn't change him :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)