Does germany deserve a 4th CL spot? (1 Viewer)

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
In recent years, germany's 4th CL spot has been taken away.

Do you think german football is strong enough to have it given back to them?

Whilst Bayern are undoubtedly a cut above everybody else, there are at least 4 more teams in germany (Bayer Leverkusen, Werder Bremen, Stuttgart, Schalke 04)who could compete in europe sucessfully, which is more then England, for example, has to say.

Give the 4th CL spot back to germany? I say yes.

thoughts? Opinions? Meinungs?

Buy on AliExpress.com

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
Austria should get two from Germany. Clubs like Schwarz-Weiß Bregenz or Superfund Pasching would be though clubs to play.
:LOL:

Seriously, I think yes. Everytime I watch Bundesliga, I see a lot of goals, entertaining skillful plays and from year to yearm, better players find there way to Germany (Maakay, D'Alessandro..).
On the other hand, there are just three countries ´who have 4 spots: Italy, Spain and England. To be honest, I all rate them higher.

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
England has just 4 clubs that can really be competitive in Europe (considering the fact that nowadays, only the Champions League qualifies as Europe). I think that England's spots should be reduced to 3, as that will eliminate this ugly trend developing out there where at the beginning of the season, clubs map out their objective for the season: 4th place :yuck:.

Having said that, the said slot shouldn't go directly to Germany, or we would have more of the same.

Personally, I feel that the 4th slot for all countries should be wiped off. That will make the individual leagues more competitive, and will also help resurrect the UEFA Cup.

Then we also have to look at the issue of player fitness levels. With the exception of England (FA Cup), all the local knock out competitions have no value anymore. Why not knock those wastes of time off the fixture list? Let the League be the pure determinant for both the UCL and the UC.

We were able to have the CWC knocked off, so there's nothing preventing us from knocking off the mentioned tournaments. They are becoming more insignificant.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Should Germany have four, should France? Should Holland get three again?

The system works as it works. If you deserve four spots, you will obtain them.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I don't think any league should be given 4 spots. It's called the Champions League ffs

Chxta

Onye kwe, Chi ya ekwe
Nov 1, 2004
++ [ originally posted by chxta ] ++
England has just 4 clubs that can really be competitive in Europe (considering the fact that nowadays, only the Champions League qualifies as Europe). I think that England's spots should be reduced to 3, as that will eliminate this ugly trend developing out there where at the beginning of the season, clubs map out their objective for the season: 4th place :yuck:.

Having said that, the said slot shouldn't go directly to Germany, or we would have more of the same.

Personally, I feel that the 4th slot for all countries should be wiped off. That will make the individual leagues more competitive, and will also help resurrect the UEFA Cup.

Then we also have to look at the issue of player fitness levels. With the exception of England (FA Cup), all the local knock out competitions have no value anymore. Why not knock those wastes of time off the fixture list? Let the League be the pure determinant for both the UCL and the UC.

We were able to have the CWC knocked off, so there's nothing preventing us from knocking off the mentioned tournaments. They are becoming more insignificant.

nedved34

Oct 3, 2002
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
I don't think any league should be given 4 spots. It's called the Champions League ffs
they just have to change the name,I prefer today's CL than the past one

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
Personally... I think it should be champions only, But that wont make the money todays clubs desire and uefa wants.

Jus look at platinis plans if he gets in as uefa president... with his ideas to dispose of the cl and introduce a single competition including 300 clubs across europe... Its all about money.

As for germany getting an extra spot... If anything imo they should be cut to 2 spots rather than raised to 4... Its a joke league these days

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
4 is a joke. CL qualification should not be like the NBA or NHL playoffs, where it's not a question of whther you make the playoffs -- but rather a question of whether you do not.

Before any league gets an automatic 4th berth here, I would rather see that slot added to the pool of chances for clubs from "lesser" leagues.

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Shadowfax ] ++
Personally... I think it should be champions only, But that wont make the money todays clubs desire and uefa wants.

Jus look at platinis plans if he gets in as uefa president... with his ideas to dispose of the cl and introduce a single competition including 300 clubs across europe... Its all about money.

As for germany getting an extra spot... If anything imo they should be cut to 2 spots rather than raised to 4... Its a joke league these days
Do you have more info on the bolded part?

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I so much love the old CL, with one or at most 2 teams from every league, that was the real thing but as Paul said it is the money that changed it

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zambrotta ] ++

Do you have more info on the bolded part?
This is a piece from the guardian a while ago...
If i have time later i'll look for his more recent comments about his ideas

Platini: scrap Champions League

It's a story that will surely make Europe's biggest clubs break out in a cold sweat: Fifa and Uefa executive committee member Michel Platini has declared he will abolish the Champions League if he ever becomes Uefa president.

The former French international, also the French Football Federation's (FFF) vice-president, says the current format of the European competition is too elitist and advocates a return to a system where traditional powers are treated on an equal footing with so-called minnows like Malta or Andorra.

"I want only one competition with 256 teams which will face each other according to the direct elimination system," he told Sunday's edition of German newspaper Welt am Sonntag.

"The European cups the way they are today are just a closed circus. The more matches there are, the more certain it is that big clubs win the competition but Bayern Munich should also play in Malta and in Georgia."

Platini, tipped as a future head of either Uefa or Fifa, also claims he intends to limit the influence of the G-14, made up of the 18 richest European clubs, on the football scene.

"We also have to talk with the G-14, but never should they obtain an official role," he said. "Only Uefa and Fifa have the legitimacy to gather the international federations."

It is the pressure exerted by the G-14 clubs that has been instrumental in moving the competition towards its present format, heavily weighed in favour of the big footballing nations.

During Platini's playing days, the competition ensured every nation was on an equal footing with only the champions of each domestic league admitted.

Guardian Unlimited ©

jaecole

Apr 7, 2005
I don't know, yeah it's the 'champions' league but personally I find the current system alot better.

It's common that the top team are not the best in the league the following season. With this method the best teams are always in it come the end. When it reaches the knockouts that's when we see the champions.

Reducing it to two teams would have a negative effect on the leagues also. This way allows the slightly smaller teams to be much more competitive on the transfer market etc.

Should Germany get 4? No.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Hmm, in this new UEFA "Super League" Platini is proposing, would there be group stages or just knockout rounds? If it's indeed a direct elimination competition the smaller clubs might have a chance, but still the results will mostly be ridiculous with AC Milan playing Malmo or Chelsea against some team from Malta. It would be great exposure for the smaller clubs, however they will not have the UEFA Cup or Intertoto to compete for, both of which give the smaller sides like Alkmaar a great chance of winning a trophy.

And about a G14 League, that would certainly be an interesting proposition, however the domestic leagues would suffer from less exposure and perhaps useless TV deals. The leagues need the big clubs IMO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)