Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #62
    ++ [ originally posted by Ian ] ++
    Just something that I was thinking about today:

I was out and about in downtown London and of course, I was smoking a cigarette, just standing on a corner outside the pub where I was meeting a mate to have a few drinks. A guy came up to me and asked if he could bum a smoke, and I quickly handed him one of mine. He asked me what kind it was, as he hadn't seen the like before. I told him and we had a nice little discussion about all kinds of different things, (he's a Liverpool fan :yuck: ), and then we each went our merry ways.

The point of that little story is that smokers, as a social class are remarkably friendly and generous. Among what other group is it acceptable to ask a complete stranger for something without any thought of repayment? Smoking may be bad for your health and some people don't like the smell, but there is a culture of generosity and friendliness that surrounds it...
    So, Ian... :D Are you and your fellow smokers as friendly to everyone else when you're not smoking too or is that strictly confined to smoking?

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
    Unfortunately I am a smoker
    last night I tried to quite using Nicotinel (nicotine chewing gums) but it was a very bad try, first I got some burning sensation in my mouth and then palpitation(awareness of your heart beat) and then it turned to chest tightness just like a heart attack experience, finally I decide to cont smoking till I find something better

*aca*

Jul 15, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Dr-Juve ] ++
    Unfortunately I am a smoker
    last night I tried to quite using Nicotinel (nicotine chewing gums) but it was a very bad try, first I got some burning sensation in my mouth and then palpitation(awareness of your heart beat) and then it turned to chest tightness just like a heart attack experience, finally I decide to cont smoking till I find something better
    It's a matter of will power, not of finding a substitute for cigarettes.

although, granted, withrawal syndroms can be scaryFirst few nights without i was waking up in cold sweat, had problems breading and was a nervous wreck :eek:

Sep 14, 2003
    No, I don't smoke and never have. I want to stay fit and healthy for the sports I love playing and sex (though never at the same time).

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    No, I dont and I hate smokers, cause they dont respect my health and smoke in my presence without asking me about that. Even if they ask: do you mind..., they already have written on their faces: of couse you dont, and when I say: Sorry, I dont agree, they usually say: come on, how can you disagree and they start smoking. It happens often to me, even in my own flat.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    So, Ian... :D Are you and your fellow smokers as friendly to everyone else when you're not smoking too or is that strictly confined to smoking?
    That's not what I was trying to imply. Smokers are very nice and generous to each other, and there is a bond between us (mainly because non-smokers have become so aggressive.) If you're a nice person, you're a nice person, but if you smoke and you're asked for a cigarette, you give one (unless it's your last one and then no one would take it from you anyway).

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    What Ian says is very true. Most people automatically offer one if they are going to smoke one. I take them now and then, to look cool

May 30, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Emma ] ++
    What Ian says is very true. Most people automatically offer one if they are going to smoke one. I take them now and then, to look cool

see thats a waste of good cigarette just keep it on ur mouth and dont inhale to look "Cool" i despise the people who do that ... you enjoy a cigarette ... after all its also knows as a cancer stick ... smoking isnt cool and thinking smoke to look cool is the worse reason i heard for people smoking ... you can do better than that

Emma

Mar 4, 2004
    Lol who said I dont inhale it? I was joking about the look cool part. Sometimes when im drunk i smoke cigs people offer me. Seems like a good idea at the time.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
    No, I dont and I hate smokers, cause they dont respect my health and smoke in my presence without asking me about that. Even if they ask: do you mind..., they already have written on their faces: of couse you dont, and when I say: Sorry, I dont agree, they usually say: come on, how can you disagree and they start smoking. It happens often to me, even in my own flat.
    How can you allow them to smoke in your own apt.

If you don't want them to smoke and they are good friends. Tell them.

My apartmant mate for two years was the same way. As soon as we moved in, we told all our friends, "Sorry, no smokeing allowed." They agreed and no ciggartte has ever been lit there.

It's your apartment. You make the rules.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

How can you allow them to smoke in your own apt.

If you don't want them to smoke and they are good friends. Tell them.

My apartmant mate for two years was the same way. As soon as we moved in, we told all our friends, "Sorry, no smokeing allowed." They agreed and no ciggartte has ever been lit there.

It's your apartment. You make the rules.

That's the problem, cause I do not allowed them to do that, and they still try to do that anyway, like my bf's mum and grandmother. I'm polite saying: sorry, no smoking allowed, but some time ago happened, that they were smoking in another room, trying to hide... They are impossible. I should have opened the door and kicked their butts out... but I need to be polite for them :(

And my mum keeps saying: even if your guest behaves like pig, he still has his rights, cause he is your guest, so she said, that I wasnt right to be so angry at them.... So I replied: my home is my castle... so she said, that I'm an egoist, so I replied that I prefer to be alive egoist than dead altrist.

It's never ending discussion between us, cause she was a smoker too, and I have no idea why, but that type of conversation with her makes me laugh :D

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Sometimes when im drunk ...
    Seems like a good idea at the time.
    Some country has to inscribe this as a motto on their national currency or something. ;)

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++

That's the problem, cause I do not allowed them to do that, and they still try to do that anyway, like my bf's mum and grandmother. I'm polite saying: sorry, no smoking allowed, but some time ago happened, that they were smoking in another room, trying to hide... They are impossible. I should have opened the door and kicked their butts out... but I need to be polite for them :(

And my mum keeps saying: even if your guest behaves like pig, he still has his rights, cause he is your guest, so she said, that I wasnt right to be so angry at them.... So I replied: my home is my castle... so she said, that I'm an egoist, so I replied that I prefer to be alive egoist than dead altrist.

It's never ending discussion between us, cause she was a smoker too, and I have no idea why, but that type of conversation with her makes me laugh :D
    I assumed you meant from friends....

That's pretty shocking actually!! From your BF's family?! and hidding?!

This is different. In this case, your mom may have a point. In the same situation, i'd probably let them smoke, but cultural things come into play here.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    I meant from both: friends and family, but friends are easier to deal, somehow... you just tell him that... sometimes they doesnt listen to that, but then I can be more harsh. But how to be harsh with close family, or my bf's family?

They know, that I cant stand smoking, cause I simple hate it and I'm ill after feeling smoke. They dont respect that, they dont care about cultural things visiting me. They cant count on my "cultural thing" as well.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #80
    That's a fantastic idea, I have to start doing that. Everytime someone's firing up one, I ask if I can have one, then when I get it I toss it in the trash. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)