Do you believe in God (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I recently saw the results of a survey done in the US which indicated that a lot of people who refer to themselves as Catholic, Jewish, Islamic, etc. also said that they didn't believe in God.

I did a forum search, and found no thread on a similar topic, but corret me if I'm wrong!

Are you a theist, monotheist, polytheist, atheist or agnostic?

Are you part of an organised religion? Do you practice it? Do you believe in it?

I've a pretty good idea of the basics of Judaeism, Catholicism (and related Christian religions) and Islam, but if anyone here is from another religion, could they summarise (briefly) their religious beliefs.

Finally, I'd just like to ask that no one take the mick on this, as religion is a pretty touchy topic for some people.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Religion justl ike politics has a sound base and background...unluckily through the years it has been exploited and lost its true meaning!

I do believe in God as I find it hard to beleive that the universe just popped out of nowhere (and what would have been there before anyway?) but sometimes I find it hard to believe in the stuff they try to brainwash me and all other religions with.

Sometimes I look at my mother and see her so brainwashed. You can't say anything and you can't question the church or religion cos she would flip. Luckily I find myself in an era in which I am allowed to think with my own brains and not with someone brainwashing me.

For this I admire gray who his dedication amazes me and attimes I wish I had half the faith he has.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
i believe god exists.

fli every religion has its own concept. theres no one way to answer that question.

my explanations would be this however: to measure time, you need to start from a point- ie a moment in time has to be relevant to a point to be measured. thats like a law of reality, of humanity, and thats got a limit.

but then theres like something that doesnt conform to these limits. that doesnt need to conform. in fact its he who made these limits. and that, imho is god.

he has no beginning or end, no particular form he has to adhere to, no nothing. he makes form, he makes rules. and thats whats so awesome. but im biased so dont take me at face value.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #7
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    where did god come from? he existed when there was nothing else in the middle of nowhere?
    That is the key question of course, but it leads on to others.

Are you satisfied that nothing existed prior to the creation of the universe? And if the answer to that is yes, are you satisfied that the universe could be created from nothing?

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

That is the key question of course, but it leads on to others.

Are you satisfied that nothing existed prior to the creation of the universe? And if the answer to that is yes, are you satisfied that the universe could be created from nothing?
    but this seems more logic than the fact that god came from nowhere and created everything

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #10
    ++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    but this seems more logic than the fact that god came from nowhere and created everything
    No modern religion, to my knowlege, suggests that God was created. On the other hand, it is generally accepted that the Universe had a beginning. Why and /or how was it created? To suggest that nothing existed before the Universe is to say that something can come from nothing. While greter complexity can emerge from lesser complexity (witness a universe created from protons, electrons and neutrons), we know of no example of something spontaneously comming into being. Everything we know has an origin, a source. We know the universe, but we suggest that God exists outside it (and before it), so God doesn't necessarily follow the same rules.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to convert you, but I'm both genuinely interested in your opinions (which I'm more sympathetic to than it might appear) and in how deeply you've thought out your own personal philosophy.

gigi's twin

Mar 5, 2003
    I believe in God. I'm Christian. And I'm Kalvinist ( Reformatic). Beliefe is a very important part of my life. I have Youth Bible Lessons on every Saturday and I go to the church every Sunday. :angel:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I used to think of myself as Catholic, I went through the whole chain of customs and somewhere I realized I didn't really believe in God. I don't regret being a part of that community for many years and I think the religion has a lot to offer on a human level, it encourages you to think about who you want to be as a person. It encourages you to do good, and it doesn't command you. At least that is my experience and it depends a lot on the priest, they tend to have very different interpretations. Some will say that it's your duty to do this and that, others will just encourage you.

I suspect that being in that community is a big part of what attract Graham.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Im a catholic and I believe in God but I just have way too many questions. I guess I gotta be faithful. But God does exist or life is just too perfect

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    I'm also Catholic. My faith went down the drain a couple years ago, but it's getting back on track........lol-I also have a lot of questions......I go to mass every Sunday, and have religious education Sunday nights.. the priest that gives it is excellent, and my faith has strengthened considerably

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    I'm an atheist. I dont believe in God nor do I believe in relgion. I honestly think that religion is the worst thing to happen to mankind.

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
    Religion is something man created because he needed to. An humanist said that I dont remember who did though, and I agree

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Cancer, war, genocide and religion is the worst thing that happened to humanity? No, I see how that is not a controversial statement.

Anders

Dec 13, 2002
    I don't believe in god, and I don't see any reason to do so. There's absolutely no proof of his existens.

I believe the bible was nothing but a good idea taken waaaay too far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)