Dispel The Myths About Your Country (2 Viewers)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Matto ] ++
That's true yeah. I've read some books that were written in real English (the language as it was before 1066 when the French invaded) and it's so completely different. Incredible!
Eddie Izzard made a tv series recently called "Mongrel Nation" in which he showed how many quintesentially British things were actually adopted.

Even the English slang adjective "smashing", which means brilliant or cool, is just a corruption of the Irish "Is maith sin" (pronounced "iss" "moh" (short o, like moth without the t) "shin"), which means "I like it".

He then learned a few basic expressions in Old English, and proceeded to buy a brown cow from a Dutch farmer without knowing a word of Dutch or speaking a word of modern English.

The word "Anglo-Saxon" refers to the invasion/colonisation of England by six Dutch tribes centuries before 1066. Two of the tribes were the "Angles" and the "Saxons".

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
Eddie Izzard made a tv series recently called "Mongrel Nation" in which he showed how many quintesentially British things were actually adopted.

Even the English slang adjective "smashing", which means brilliant or cool, is just a corruption of the Irish "Is maith sin" (pronounced "iss" "moh" (short o, like moth without the t) "shin"), which means "I like it".

He then learned a few basic expressions in Old English, and proceeded to buy a brown cow from a Dutch farmer without knowing a word of Dutch or speaking a word of modern English.
:howler: I would have liked to see that.

Bet you ten euros that the part about smashing being Irish can't be found in an Oxford or Cambridge history book btw ;)

The word "Anglo-Saxon" refers to the invasion/colonisation of England by six Dutch tribes centuries before 1066. Two of the tribes were the "Angles" and the "Saxons".
Really? That's cool. I hadn't looked into it so much and I didn't know that.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

Hehe, no offence taken v-a.

You know, I watched a documentary tonight about cops in Edinburgh, and I couldn't understand most of the bad guys accents myself.:confused:

I have every sympathy for you guys and gals out there.

I'll.........write.........slowly.........from.......now.......on......if....that........helps:D

That's the good idea :D;)

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++

walking in their kilts when temperatue's bellow zero, drinking beer by gallons and repeating "it's ****en freezen".

LOL.... Oh man, you captured that moment perfectly:D....and that's just the women

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
walking in their kilts when temperatue's bellow zero, drinking beer by gallons and repeating "it's ****en freezen".
You know, if it wasnt for the kilts thing, that could be Newcastle. Come to thnk of it, does a mini-skirt count? ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)