Dispel The Myths About Your Country (1 Viewer)

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #181
    ++ [ originally posted by G_O_A_T ] ++

Really... I mean, really :rolleyes:

I'm starting to think you dont like me :frown:
    :wth: is wrong with u Zlatan, you've gone soft... there wasn't even a single smiley in that post... i'm starting to think you're taking me seriously :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
    LMAO at goat's interpretation of my two words- "hugs goat" :D

blood on moral the world needs more love certainly *group hug*

btw u never told me where the hell u got that handle from? what does it mean?

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #183
    This so doesn't happen regularly

Woman punches 10-foot croc

A woman has punched and kicked a 10-foot saltwater crocodile on the nose to free her teenage nephew from its jaws during an attack in the Australian Outback.

Manual Gandigorrtij, 19, was loading wild geese into his small boat at the water's edge when a crocodile lunged at his leg and pulled him into the creek, 250 miles east of Darwin.

His aunt and uncle raced to his rescue.

"He dragged me into the water and then my uncle and my aunt jumped on it," Mr Gandigorrtij said from the hospital.

His aunt, Margaret Rinybuma, 53, attacked the crocodile with her fists and feet.

"She punched it, the croc, and she kicked it," Mr Gandigorrtij said.

"I hit him with my fist on the nose and it let him go," Mrs Rinybuma said. After the crocodile let go, his aunt and uncle dragged him from the water. Mr Gandigorrtij was recovering in Royal Darwin Hospital following surgery for three deep cuts in his left leg.

A German tourist died in Kakadu national park last year after being attacked by a saltwater crocodile.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
    We are not the same, and there is no point in saying we are. We are different by race, personality, height, weight, intelligence (we all know I'm on top there :p ;) ) and stuff like that, but the point of equality is that non of are differences can justify being treated differently, in a worse or better way.
    Yeah, just look at the wonderful example provided by the American Armed Forces, who no longer discriminate on the basis of race, religion or talent.

In view of the fact that they are representative of the World's Greatest DemocracyTM, they now elect their officers.

:rolleyes:

Sometimes you have to discriminate on the basis of intelligance. Otherwise, GOAT might wind up as a mod here. ;)

++ [ originally posted by -CSD- ] ++
    then what? they speak german? :D
    A mixture of French and an old dialect of Dutch called Saxon.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Irish Stereotypes Just Won't Die

by Pat Friend

The other day I tripped over my shillelagh as I was watching a leprechaun swing at a fairy because he was drunk and fighting having had too much Guinness on his way to find his pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Stereotypes about the Irish and those of Irish heritage are so pervasive in American society that sometimes they aren't even recognized as generalizations, or considered offensive, as they would be if they were directed at racial minority groups. Living in a world surrounded by those stereotypes poses unexpected challenges even in 21st century America.

Discrimination against the Irish, particularly Irish Catholics, was quite severe in the 19th century. As one of the earliest large immigrant communities the Irish repeatedly faced "Irish Need Not Apply" signs as they sought to enter the American work force. As I discussed in my article Irish Immigrants and Freed African Slaves, the Irish Catholics eventually overcame much of the discrimination through sheer determination and by building a parallel society around the Catholic Church. By the middle of the 20th century it appeared that they were fully integrated into American society. So why am I talking about stereotypes? Am I just being overly sensitive? I don't think so.

During the age of the movie classics some of the biggest stars brought the Irish persona to life in some very stereotypical ways. There was James Cagney, the tough guy, as well as the fabulous Spencer Tracy. Others to add were Bing Crosby, who made it OK to be an Irish priest, and then there was Maureen O'Hara with her flaming red hair and a temper to match. Decades later we can look back at some of those films and see true classics, while others may get a "B" (or "C") grade. We also see them as fiction and recognize the stereotypes so common in that Golden Era of Hollywood.

That the jokes and stereotypes persist today is more damaging. When was the last time you heard an "Irish joke" where the main character wasn't drinking, drunk, fighting, lazy or a fool?

Even modern television, usually so "politically correct", can't contain itself. A sitcom called "The Fighting Fitzgeralds" that first aired on NBC in March 2001 only served to perpetuate the myths. The main character is a retired firefighter. (Gee, not a policeman?) He has one son that's a bartender, another is a professional (stockbroker) that can't seem to hold a job and of course their hobbies are drinking and arguing. The reviews from Mike Duffy and John Levesque differ in some respects but both agree that there's little funny in maintaining stereotypes. Happily the show didn't return for the Fall 2001 Season.

Can anyone honestly say that it doesn't damage a community or ethnic group to be repeated portrayed in such a derogatory style? What of the reputations of the vast majority of Americans of Irish descent who work hard, are well educated and contribute regularly to their communities? Is that all to be lost in a joke about a drunken paddy?
    Irish declare war on Iraq
    Saddam Hussein was sitting in his office, wondering whom to invade next, when his telephone rang. "Hallo! Mr. Hussein," a heavily accented voice rang out.

"This is Paddy, down at the Harp Pub in County Sligo, Ireland. I am ringing to inform you that we are officially declaring war on you!"

"Well, Paddy," Saddam replied, "This is indeed important news! How big is your army?"

"Right now," said Paddy, after a moment's calculation, "there is myself,my cousin Sean, my next door neighbor Seamus, and the entire dart team from the pub. That makes eight!"

Saddam paused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have one million men in my army, waiting to move on my command."

"Bugorrah!" said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back!" Sure enough, the next day, Paddy called again. "Mr. Hussein, the war is still on! We have managed to acquire some infantry equipment!"

"And what equipment would that be, Paddy?" Saddam asked.

"Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm tractor."

Saddam sighed. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 16,000 tanks and 14,000 armored personnel carriers. Also, I've increased my army to 1 1/2 million since we last spoke."

"Saints preserve us!" said Paddy. "I'll have to get back to you."

Sure enough, Paddy rang again the next day. "Mr. Hussein, the war is still on! We have managed to get ourselves airborne! We've modified Harrigan's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock Pub have joined us as well!"

Saddam was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 10,000 bombers and 20,000 fighter planes. My military complex is surrounded by Laser-guided, surface-to-air missile sites. And since we last spoke, I've increased my army to TWO MILLION!"

"For goodness sake!" said Paddy, "I'll have to ring you back."

Sure enough, Paddy called again the next day. "Top o' the mornin', Mr.Hussein! I am sorry to tell you that we have had to call off the war."

"I'm sorry to hear that," said Saddam. "Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Well," said Paddy, "we've all had a long chat over a bunch of pints, and there's no way we can feed two million prisoners."
    A guy walks into a bar, orders a beer and says to the bartender, "Hey, I got this great Irish Joke...".

The barkeep glares at him and says in a warning tone of voice: "Before you go telling that joke you better know that I'm Irish, both bouncers are Irish and so are most of my customers"

"Okay" says the customer,"I'll tell it very slowly."
    The Irish Businessmen
    Two Irish men are walking along Kensington High Street when they see a sign.
    Suits £15.00
    shirts £2.00
    trousers £2.50

One said to the other one "Look at that - we could buy a lot of that gear and when we get back to Ireland we could make a fortune,

When we go into the shop don't say anything let me do all the talking cause if they hear our accent they might not serve us so i'll speak in my best English accent."

They go in and he orders, 50 suits at #15.00
    100 shirts at #2.00 and
    50 trousers at #2.50

the owner of the shop says "You're Irish aren't you " he says

"Oh bollocks.....Yes, how de hell did you know that ?",

The owner says, "This is a dry cleaners !!!!!

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #189
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Sometimes you have to discriminate on the basis of intelligance. Otherwise, GOAT might wind up as a mod here. ;)
    BRAVO!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003

That was so uncalled for :sigh:

But it's OK, I understand. I wouldnt want you to get a inferiority issue because of my massive IQ :p

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #191
    I love saying "a pint of Guinness" in an Irish accent :lick::p:D

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

Hehe I think the poor Scottish are the most stereotyped culture in the world

"Ya haggis eatin' kilt wearin' bagpipe playin' caber tossin' Scotsman" :D

But...this is all true/
    What yah mean stereotyped?:confused:

Haggis is magic, especially with cranburry sauce:
    Ma kilts ma favourite item of clothin' which I wear daily with pride;
    my bagpipe playing is...er...coming along;
    an' aint' nothin' better than tossing your caber mon:D

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by vitoria_Ally ] ++
    That's so right :D

I think the most stereotype issue about Scotsmen is their miserliness, there are so many jokes about that.

Jokes? About our miserliness? What jokes? This is the first I have heard of this. Tell me more?

I don't understand this! Miserly?

Just because we are so mean we only breath in is not any reason to call us miserly. :fero:

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002
    I can only be killed by real British accent, as I was some time ago :stress:
    And Scottish.

Why haven't you lot told me you couldn't understand my accent. This may explain many things:eek:

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Roverbhoy ] ++

Jokes? About our miserliness? What jokes? This is the first I have heard of this. Tell me more?

I don't understand this! Miserly?

Just because we are so mean we only breath in is not any reason to call us miserly. :fero:
    Erm... :confused:
    I guess I dont have to tell you more about that, since you know about breath in thing.

vitoria_Ally

Jul 14, 2002

Why haven't you lot told me you couldn't understand my accent. This may explain many things:eek:
    Now I'm triple :confused: but dont worry, it's usual state of my mind.

About that Scottish accent for the first time:: that was a movie, actors were from Scotland, actions had place in Glasgow - I dont remember the title now.
    I knew that that movie was Scottish, and I wanted to watch it without subtitles, and my first impression was: why they speak Swedish here?? :eek:
    Well, after 5 minutes I had to use subtitles :D

No offence, just such story ;)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    That reminds me of when I was in Trois-Rivieres (a small city in Quebec, Canada). I knew they spoke French there so I said I won;t have probs....but their French is an older form of French and it's impossible to understand. To make things worse, few people spoke English there.

Roverbhoy

Jul 31, 2002

Now I'm triple :confused: but dont worry, it's usual state of my mind.

About that Scottish accent for the first time:: that was a movie, actors were from Scotland, actions had place in Glasgow - I dont remember the title now.
    I knew that that movie was Scottish, and I wanted to watch it without subtitles, and my first impression was: why they speak Swedish here?? :eek:
    Well, after 5 minutes I had to use subtitles :D

No offence, just such story ;)
    Hehe, no offence taken v-a.

You know, I watched a documentary tonight about cops in Edinburgh, and I couldn't understand most of the bad guys accents myself.:confused:

I have every sympathy for you guys and gals out there.

I'll.........write.........slowly.........from.......now.......on......if....that........helps:D

Sep 28, 2002

Hehe, no offence taken v-a.

You know, I watched a documentary tonight about cops in Edinburgh, and I couldn't understand most of the bad guys accents myself.:confused:

I have every sympathy for you guys and gals out there.

I'll.........write.........slowly.........from.......now.......on......if....that........helps:D

my stereotype abuot scotsmen.

walking in their kilts when temperatue's bellow zero, drinking beer by gallons and repeating "it's ****en freezen".

but still i miss them back here in lithuania. :touched:

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
    Jul 25, 2001
    A mixture of French and an old dialect of Dutch called Saxon.
    That's true yeah. I've read some books that were written in real English (the language as it was before 1066 when the French invaded) and it's so completely different. Incredible!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)