Didier to replace Lippi? (1 Viewer)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Didier to replace Lippi?
Tuesday 9 December, 2003

Didier Deschamps is the number one candidate to become the next Juventus boss, according to reports in France.

The former Bianconeri midfielder is currently excelling at Monaco and is a contender to replace Marcello Lippi (pictured) once he leaves the club.

"It is true that I have had contact with Juventus but we haven’t spoken concretely about the possibility of working together in the future," the former Chelsea midfielder is quoted as saying.

"We’ve met on a number of occasions but our talks have been concerned with the availability of players.

"It would obviously be a dream job to sit on the Juventus bench. But we’ll have to wait and see because there are many factors to consider. The first of which are Lippi’s plans."

The latter is contracted to the Delle Alpi outfit until the summer of 2005. However, there is a possibility that he could leave the club at the end of the season.

The former Napoli tactician has openly admitted that he would love to take charge of the Italian national side and that position may become available after Euro 2004.

Current boss Giovanni Trapattoni is only tied to the Azzurri until the end of those Finals with some predicting that he will leave no matter how the Italians do.

Should he not be offered a new deal then the Italian Football Federation would make a move for Lippi.

Football Italia

------------------------------------------

IMO he would be the best option if Lippi decides to leave.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Character wise Didier is the closest to Lippi. He puts discipline ahead of anything and he might clash with players because of this, just like Lippi did in the past with players.

Didier unlike Vialli, has proven himself abroad so him and Del Neri are ony my wishlist after Marcello leaves.

Sep 28, 2002
but you see, lippi is also like a symbol here. he is respected by newcomers of what he did before. miccoli tried complaining at the beginning that he should play a lot and stuff but i believe it was lippi who calmed him down. now deschamps comes. someone is unhappy of the way he is treated. and deschamps may have lots of troubles inside the team.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Yeah he will have to gain the respect of the players, but seeing how he turned Monaco into a succesful European team I say he has what it takes.

Anyway, no one better than Martin can talk about him and his coaching qualities right now.

Sep 28, 2002
why? is martin his assistant manager? :D

anyway, didier should come either soon, while team still has some players that used to play alongside deschamps or only then when he is really proven as a coach.

cynical

Mar 7, 2003
Deschamps was a charismatic player both in Juve and France NT. however, is heyoung for this kind position?! don't forget that Juve, arguably, made Ancelotti the couch he is now

OP

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    Why is that?

Cynycal, well no, like Didi said hmself, Trapatoni was only like 38 when he took control of Juve.

Jul 12, 2002
    He's a professional coach and aformer professional player. He can handle player relations. I'm more worried that he won't be able to handle the media. He's been a bit shaky at times.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Yeah he will have to gain the respect of the players, but seeing how he turned Monaco into a succesful European team I say he has what it takes.

Anyway, no one better than Martin can talk about him and his coaching qualities right now.
    I love what he's done with Monaco. After Tigana left, Henry, Trez, Barthez, Djetou, Legwinski, Christanaval, Sagnol, Lamouchi, Ikpeba were sold, the club didn't look much like the team that took two straight league titles. Puel achieved nothing and in came Deschamps, completely inexperienced. In his first season they did very poorly, spending most of it around and below the bottom half. I was surprised to see him last more than a year. But the following season, despite a mediocre start they did really really well, the title was lost to Lyon but only by a small margin and Nonda was top scorer. This year they lost Nonda for the full season, they are dominating the league (currently leading by 6 pts!) and already qualified for the 2nd round of the CL.

So in two years he's turned everything around, he did have a bust up with Gallardo who hardly played, he sold Marquez after last season but things are looking pretty glorious at the moment, they just defeated Marseille in an away game. The CL record thus far is also very impressive, considering none of these players have any experience. Descamps has won it twice but as a coach he's new to it and he's capable.

++ [ originally posted by Fliakis ] ++
    why? is martin his assistant manager? :D
    I would LOVE that job! :D

++ [ originally posted by cynical ] ++
    Deschamps was a charismatic player both in Juve and France NT. however, is heyoung for this kind position?! don't forget that Juve, arguably, made Ancelotti the couch he is now
    Is that a deliberate misspelling? :D

Aug 1, 2003
    Lippi once said the only good thing bout him to the team is that he's a constant pain in the arse.

I wonder if Deschamps could be a pain in the arse too? :D anyway, he's been doing a great job at Monaco, but I wouldn't want him exactly after Lippi leaves ... I don't know, isn't he a bit too young and inexperienced and all?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    If the board would give him time, he'd definately make it. The problem is that if he had a poor start (quite possible given his inexperience), he might be sacked prematurely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)