did del piero ACTUALLY fill baggio's shoes? (At Juve) (41 Viewers)

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
++ [ originally posted by DP #1 Fan ] ++
DP could have easily won the Golden Ball in 1998 had Italy gone further in the WC.
so easy that he wasnt even in the top 10. :groan:
now if this was his best year. and was the highest he could get...

1. Zidane 244
2. Suker 68
3. Ronaldo 66
4. Owen 51
5. Rivaldo 45
6. Batistuta 43
7.Thuram 36
8. Davids/Bergkamp 28
10.Desailly 19
11. F.de Boer 17
12. Petit 16
13. Roberto Carlos 13
14. Blanc/Barthez 11
16.<B>Del Piero/<b>Mijatovic 10

Buy on AliExpress.com

jumbo

Juve all time top scorer
Nov 7, 2004
Well, he did great in Seria A that season and was also the CL top scorer.

If you notice all the players above him finished high in the WC. Zidane and teammates GOLD, Suker BRONZE, Ronaldo and teammates SILVER, etc.

Like I said, had Del Piero led Italy to winning the WC :D, this would have looked a bit different but that's just my opinion. Don't lose sleep over it. :)

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
In terms of popularity and love, DP filled Baggio's shoes and more. However one cannot really compare the players just on the basis of DP winning more Scudetti than Baggio as that was a team achievement.

Anyone who was following Juve from the early 90s know that that team was Baggio dependent (it was even nicknamed that way). Every weekend he would score and lead the team on his shoulders. He was the only player we could rely on cos the rest of the team was average/good.

Every season Baggio would be out injured for a month and during that month Juve would lose the title to Milan cos we fail to score and win games. Sad but true (check the stats for those years if you don't believe me).

That's why he won the Golden Ball cos single handedly he led Juve consistently for 5 years. DP, good as he might have been in 1998, did not single handedly lead the team cos the squad was much better than the one Baggio had at his disposal.

IMO the early 90s Juve side overachieved only thanks to Baggio. With crap players like Zavarov and inconsistent ones like Moeller, the best we could achieve was 4th or 5th, but Baggio always gave that extra more which helped us reach 2nd place in most seasons.

Juve would have still won the Scudetto (bar 98 probably) with or without DP, that's why I believe that Baggio was more important for Juve in footballing terms.

Obviously as I said before, DP has become more popular through the years, even though at his peak Baggio was adored by most fans all over the world, that's why in the case then yes he did fill his shoes. If Baggio was given the opportunity to play in a star studded side like DP was, then also Baggio would have had the same trophies (if not more).
agreed :thumb:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Each time I see the title of this thread, I hope it will provide a great revelation about some Juve locker room prank back in the early 90's. And each time, I am utterly disappointed. :frown:

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
If you wanna hear about pranks ask Di Livio. He was the prankster of the team back in the mid 90s and played jokes on everyone (except Peruzzi cos he said he was huge and easily angered).

DP #1 Fan I agree with what you said. DP would have finished higher in the rankings had he led Italy further, but he didn't and was considered a disapointment in that tournament.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by DP #1 Fan ] ++
DP could have easily won the Golden Ball in 1998 had Italy gone further in the WC.
In 1998 my friend, NO ONE and I mean NO ONE was even close to the magic of Zidane. Not a single player on earth was capable of doing what Zidane used to do when he was lazy on the pitch.

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
If only Del Piero scored in the final Euro 2000.....

I dont think we would be discussing this conversation right now

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
If he had scored you mean he would have won the Golden Ball?
He meant that if he scored in the final of Euro 2000 he would have won the Golden Ball in 1998, don't you understand?

Eddy

The Maestro
Aug 20, 2005
If he had scored you mean he would have won the Golden Ball?
:confused:
No No
Im talking about the final Euro 2000 against france
If he scored that chance he had, he would be a legend in Italy or who knows, everywhere propably..

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Ok I'll say Forza Del Piero in the DP thread for 10 times. That will send me through to fool's paradise.
Say it and sound that you mean it, this is what matters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 40)