Del Piero insults his Hero! (2 Viewers)

juventus2

Jul 6, 2004
:eek:

There is a growing swell of opinion that Alex Del Piero’s career is over, but the Juve man is determined to prove them wrong by winning the Champions’ League.

“I am not worried by criticism,” insisted the Italian international, “and just concentrate on playing football. I hardly even read the newspapers anymore. All that counts is that the club, Coach and teammates have faith in me.”

Pinturicchio has long been a controversial figure among Italian supporters, loved by the Bianconeri faithful but often singled out for insults when the Azzurri struggle at major tournaments.

The latest snub came from his childhood hero and former Juve legend Michel Platini, who noted this week that Del Piero “used to have some qualities.”

“Michel has always been my idol,” said the Juventus captain, “but it’s been a fair few years since I took his poster down off my wall.”

“As for the rest, I am well aware that the press manages to amplify everything, so that a mistake is blown up out of all proportion and a goal turns you into a national hero. Everyone needs to look at football in a more balanced fashion, even though I’m used to this song and dance by now.”

Del Piero was the man who replaced Roberto Baggio in the Juventus Number 10 shirt and was meant to fulfil his role with the Azzurri, but as he nears 30 the player is determined to conquer the trophy that has eluded him since 1996.

“We are concentrated,” he said ahead of tonight’s Champions’ League preliminary round tie with Djurgarden.

“Juventus are not underestimating anyone and if there is someone who considers this match a pure formality then they do not belong in this team. We must seek out and expose their frailties without conceding a precious away goal at the Delle Alpi.”

It's odd he dissed his old role model.But i think he'll prove Platini wrong in the next season

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ferrari^M

Sep 3, 2002
Oh cmon, insults his hero...

That is no where near an insult

“Michel has always been my idol,” said the Juventus captain, “but it’s been a fair few years since I took his poster down off my wall."

It's not even a bad thing. It doesn't mean he hates him or something.

OP

juventus2

Jul 6, 2004
  • Thread Starter #4
    That's an insult to me.

Just kidding :D
    I put the word insult in the title to get more attention

Meow

Jun 8, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by juventus2 ] ++
    That's an insult to me.

Just kidding :D
    I put the word insult in the title to get more attention

I think you owe DP an apology.

On second thought ..just forget it. He's used to all these frame-ups.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
    Jul 12, 2002
    Oh common!!! Platini says "Del Piero used to have some qualities" and what do you expect from Del Piero to say? "Oh thank you Mr Platini, I'm so honor to ear that my idol says that I'm trash, thank you, thank you" ???
    I believe that sometimes Platini should keep his opinions to himself, he is not helping the club with that declarations...

Len

Feb 13, 2004
    DP has to prove Platini wrong......I hope he does so..... he needs to earn respect once more.....

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    No-one here is questioning Platini's greatness, Z, especially not Del Piero, and because you're more established or gifted than someone else it doesn't mean you have the right to criticise or insult them. Professionalism is supposed to be a component of a good athlete, and going around dissing people isn't very professional if you ask me. It's not like if DP said he's as good as or better than Platini. The man's his fvcking idol ffs.

Dan

Back & Quack
    Mar 9, 2004
    So, should platini lie and go, yes del piero is exceptional, and i think he can only improve.(espacially after tonites game)
    What the man said was true. And del piero only said that he was his idol but doesnt worship him anymore, therefore isnt affected by his critisim.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
    No-one here is questioning Platini's greatness, Z, especially not Del Piero, and because you're more established or gifted than someone else it doesn't mean you have the right to criticise or insult them. Professionalism is supposed to be a component of a good athlete, and going around dissing people isn't very professional if you ask me. It's not like if DP said he's as good as or better than Platini. The man's his fvcking idol ffs.
    Yeah, but IMO what Platini said wasnt such a big insult. It was the truth, nothing more, nothing less.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Telling someone that they used to have qualities is saying that they're complete sh!te and are no longer capable of doing anything useful, just in a polite way, and that is far from the truth in DP's case. He's no way near as good as he was when he peaked in 96-98, but he's a decent player at worst, and still capable of match-winning performances.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by blackmint ] ++
    So, should platini lie and go, yes del piero is exceptional, and i think he can only improve.(espacially after tonites game)
    What the man said was true. And del piero only said that he was his idol but doesnt worship him anymore, therefore isnt affected by his critisim.
    No, Platini should keep his mouth shut and his opinion to himself if he knows that it's degrading. He can go around telling his friends that DP's a waste if he wants to, but to publicly insult someone isn't necessary. Oh and btw, did you watch tonight's match? :rolleyes:

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    DP never was and never will be the player Platini was, and in this case, Plat has every right to criticize Alex.
    actually, that doesnt mean anything at all. Platini has no right at all even if he is the better player. who is platini right now to criticise del piero who as a player also helped juve win 5 scudetti, a CL, a toyota cup and much more.

the thing i dont understand about platini is why he criticises juve a lot. over the years he has always done so. he is meant to be a club legend i just wish he would put on the juve hat sometimes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)