Del Piero: Hero thus choker? (12 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
How do you define hero? And what is the criteria for which to be judged for specific definition of hero and are these measurable? Is one definition of hero superior to the other (the question of incommensurability)?

Overall, I am pretty sure that the concept of hero is dependent on how you define it and it is subjective in nature thus what matters is whether you feel one is a hero based on your perspective rather than the transcendental identity of hero if there exists one.
While I am not going to give my definition of hero because I dont have a concrete concept of hero, as far as I am concerned I doubt that choker is a necessary condition for hero. And I am certain that Seven never meant to say that Choker is sufficient condition for hero, even though the manner in which his post written does make such interpretation plausible. I think what Seven tried to imply was that the element of failure or choking seems to be part of a lot heores, and it is these qualities that make us sympathize and eventually love these person for what they are. Which basically means that failure creates Romanticism on the part of heroes because in the end we pity them for their failure and realize that they are human after all. And it is for this reason, I love, hate, praise, curse, Del Piero.:D

Buy on AliExpress.com

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
Del Piero is,to many of us,more of a hero than many other great or even greater football players are to their fans.Something i found interesting when reading you first post,Seven,was how i was immediately reminded of how Diego Armando Maradona is,in a way, revered as a hero more than Pele is to his fans,at least in my opinion.Debating on who is the better player is a completely separate issue,but the similarity here is how del piero and Maradona are plagued in their careers by various problems and also the media and sparked much discussion worldwide on their shortcomings,their gift for the game etc etc. Personally i am familiar with the idea of the Fallen Artist portrayed by many of the so called heroes of our time and past and how they are sympathized and scrutinized.

With regard to this supposed linkage between Del Piero and his hero this choker tag,i must say that while there is a certain similar line many fallen heroes tread we must also remember his good days.When he was touted as one of the world's best and Italy's golden boy.Although he has deservedly lost that mantle to Francesco Totti, he is still well liked and respected and regarded as an untouchable icon of Juve.That must be attributed to his glory years and how he has managed to somehow affiliate himself with the fans and the club as a whole rather than a stepping stone or performance stage in his footballing career.

Undoubtedly,he has been a victim of his own injury-proneness throughout the years.Although it is clear that he has mellowed and faded off all too abruptly, we are still treated to glimpses of his footballing genius once in a while.(Unexplainably,i have only seen two players with the ability to seemingly slow down time around them with the ball at their feet:eek:ne of them is Del Piero.) In a nutshell I am not so sure that he would have maintained this lofty status had he managed to stay clear of injuries;we have seen greats like Zidane,Vialli,Ravanelli etc leave the club in recent times.Hence it is quite possible that the reasons for Del Piero being both a choker and a hero are interlinked.

Len

Feb 13, 2004
Hey, Del Piero didn't suck in 2002-2003...........so its not 4 years of crap performances, BESSY>>>>>>>>:)

Stevie

Mar 30, 2003
Overall i just think that Del Piero cant play good under pressure he needs someone like nedved in the team who can take the spot light off of him.

OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #30
    Not really, but it isn't exactly the same. In this case is said Del Piero is a hero and thus a choker whilst in the other case is asked whether Del Piero is a hero or a choker.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    I think I'll just leave it be. :)

I do see where your argument is coming from, but I don't think Del Piero's problems stem from his being a frustrated genius. He's suffered from a series of injuries which is bound to damage his speed, stamina and his ability to maintain his technique through training. It's no secret that he's at his worst shortly after recovering from an injury. Throw in the confidence problems from years of frustration in terms of personal achievement, and the comfort factor, and Del Piero can't help but struggle to be the player he can be. Or could have been.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #33
    He isn't a real frustrated genius, he's a bit like Nedved and Rui Costa. Rui Costa arguably was the best playmaker on the face of the earth for years, yet he didn't win that much.

And Nedved, well, we all know Nedved is tragic. It's like these players are doomed to tragedy.

MCPIERO

Jul 23, 2002
    I feel what youre saying Seven. Del Piero is very scared. He gets the ball and passes it back or gets tackled. The young DP was one of the most arrogant players ive seen he had the confidence and that star look about him. He just has to snap out of this *****y phase and start playing for real because no one will ever be kind to him if he plays bad or even average.

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
    Del Piero bites back Monday 19 July, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juventus captain Alessandro Del Piero has started the new season by taking a swipe at his many critics.

The No 10 has been heavily criticised by some in the past year and he seems to have had enough.

"I sometimes feel as if I’ve been taken for a ride by the media," he stated on Monday. "I want a bit more balance in the judgements made about me.

"The time has arrived for me to react. From now on, whoever attacks me in the future will receive a response.

"My name is Del Piero, but that is no reason to criticise me for every mistake that I make. I won’t remain silent this season."

The Italian failed to impress at Juventus last term due to injury and poor form. The attacker also struggled at Euro 2004 with his country.

"There is a great desire for revenge inside of me," he added. "We won nothing at Juventus and things went badly for Italy in Portugal. I want to make up for those disappointments."

Del Piero is now back in training with the squad under the leadership of new Bianconeri boss Fabio Capello.

"His signing was a real surprise after his many years at Roma but this change will allow us to be protagonists again," he added.

Alex was also surprised that David Trezeguet, who was linked with a summer exit, is still his teammate at the Stadio Delle Alpi.

"I didn’t expect him to be here even if I also thought that we would have signed two or three more players by now. Emerson? I hope he arrives."

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by NEDVED ] ++

"The time has arrived for me to react. From now on, whoever attacks me in the future will receive a response.

" There is a great desire for revenge inside of me,"

will allow us to be protagonists again,"
    BRAVO ale!!!
    go my boy....GO!!!!
    silence is a bad thing.
    when smg bothers you....you kill yourself by not responding...
    FIGHT for what bothers you!!!!

ok,this was my favourite line.
    revenge is in general one of my fav words.
    revenge is a srong thing.
    desiring revenge,is stronger than having a goal for ex.

AND WE WILL BE.
    IF CAPTAIN DESIDED IT,WE WILL BE ALE!
    :thumb:

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #39
    http://www.lagazzettadellosport.it/primi_piani/calcio/2004/pp_1.0.445810746.shtml

I don't really know whether it's good or not Ale reacted. IMO you can call Del Piero a loser, not that he hasn't won anything, but he isn't there on decisive moments. He's a great player in the semi-final, but not in the final.

I've never seen Del Piero react like that towards the press and though he's absolutely right, it's usually what players tend to do when they're over the hill.

Lilianna

Apr 3, 2003
    no,i think that is good for him.

last year,everone praised him,and this year,everyone nearly killed him.

good for him for reacting to smg unfair

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)