Del Piero: Hero thus choker? (1 Viewer)

OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #63
    Perhaps, but fact remains: in games like the one against Real we need Alessandro Del Piero, because Del Piero is our star, our hero. Not Nedved, not Zambrotta, not Buffon, but DEL PIERO. And then he chokes in the final. But in the semis he's great.

And though he chokes and some of us pretend to hate him we actually all adore him. There's something special about him and we just need him. I'm not saying Del Piero is Juventus, but Del Piero is this generation of Juventus.

delpiero10

Apr 5, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++

And though he chokes and some of us pretend to hate him we actually all adore him. There's something special about him and we just need him. I'm not saying Del Piero is Juventus, but Del Piero is this generation of Juventus.
    True, i actually adore him too, i have seen him in real life and he is a great person.
    But my patient is getting over, because he isnt good enough at the moment.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #66
    Let's be honest, you don't talk that much about people you really hate. You don't constantly say "I hate Del Piero" when you really hate him. No, you adore him, but you're mad because he always seems to screw up.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #67
    It's all true, he isn't good enough. And I always tell myself not to expect anything of Del Piero. Like in Euro 2004, I kept telling myself Del Piero wouldn't be good, yet when he touched the ball I suddenly hoped he could show his former glory.

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Seven ] ++
    Perhaps, but fact remains: in games like the one against Real we need Alessandro Del Piero, because Del Piero is our star, our hero. Not Nedved, not Zambrotta, not Buffon, but DEL PIERO. And then he chokes in the final. But in the semis he's great.

its normal for fans to adore del piero although he chokes alot, its human beings nature to stand with heroes that declined due to a certain reason, fans of del piero keep faith waiting for him to return back and show the world that he is one of the best ...

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #69
    Indeed. In fact it's one of the biggest sport tragedies I've ever seen. Honestly, Godot won't arrive. But we sure hope so.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Seven, I am surprised you havent created outcry in the forum "yet". With your logic almost everyone in this board is in deep love with Trezeguet.;), which I am pretty sure that most people would disagree.:D. Anyway regarding Del Piero, I do think your logic is right: Del Piero will always be compared to his formerself and his lack of ability to reproduce the high level of standard that he set early in his career. It is shame because bar 99/00 season, and last year, Del Piero did enjoy pretty good season however inconsistent scoring 16 goals in the process. And as you have mentioned correctly Alex still show his outrageous skill every now and then: My favorite moment was his magic feet against Newcastle in CL couple of year back. The problem is IMO, Del Piero had talent to become one of the greatest player Europe ever had as I believe he will turn out to be as good as Robby Baggio in his prime (Better than Zidane IMHO) if not better, and yet he has failed to achieve such standard. Pitty, but that is something Alex will have to leave with rest of his life.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Well we've been through this discussion over and over again ;)

I think that nowadays DP is just a burden for Juventus just like your old granny living in your house which you can't get rid off because of the will :D

DP can't be benched cos of his name though I really hope Capello will have the guts to do so and play Miccoli more as he deserves.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #72
    ++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
    Well we've been through this discussion over and over again ;)

I think that nowadays DP is just a burden for Juventus just like your old granny living in your house which you can't get rid off because of the will :D

DP can't be benched cos of his name though I really hope Capello will have the guts to do so and play Miccoli more as he deserves.
    We've gone over that discussion over and over again yes ;).
    But that's not what my thread is about.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #74
    I know, but that's not what I asked for when I started this thread. The question was "Is it because Del Piero is a hero that he's a choker as well?", not "is Del Piero still of any use for Juventus?"

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    Yes, he is , still, very useful to the team, and the cold numbers can show you that, in the last five years, having Alex on the pitch has made the difference. 72 % of the games he is in, we win....

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #77
    Why do we talk so much about Del Piero? Because we hate him and we all think he's shit? Well, why the hell aren't we constantly talking about Salas then? Why isn't one thread out of two dedicated to Salas?

No, we all love Del Piero but some of us are angry with him because he chokes a lot and try to make that anger look like hate. I don't think too much Juventus fans actually hate Del Piero.
    I even think not too much Italians hate Del Piero. No, we're frustrated and angry because he doesn't live up to his potential.

But what is so intruiging to me is that some fans seem to like that. It makes Del Piero look like the broken hero, the fallen prince. And even the media likes it, they're crazy about this concept.

As for now, I don't think Italian football or Juventus could do without Alessandro Del Piero. Every day thousands of people are discussing about whether or not "the real Del Piero" will ressurect. We like this discussion otherwise we wouldn't be in it...

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Sorry seven I don't think he's a hero, just a choker. I don't think those two can be parallel.

In my eyes a hero who chokes would be someone who is consistently proving his world class qualities but choking during some occasions.

In this case, the only consistent thing about DP is his choking.

I give you that yes we are all frustrated cos he did not live up to his expectations, but that leads to another question: Did DP lose it or was he never really that good and thus has been over rated just because he had two good seasons?

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #79
    I don't think you can look at the Del Piero prior to 98 and say he wasn't world class. He really was world class and for example a lot better than Zidane.

In comparison to the football players around him he seemed to come from a different planet. Del Piero was a lot like Maradona, people came to the stadium just to see him.

"In my eyes a hero who chokes would be someone who is consistently proving his world class qualities but choking during some occasions." And this is exactly what Del Piero in the eyes of some of us is.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #80
    Btw, Zizou, if Del Piero isn't that in your eyes, you're of course absolutely right not to think he's a hero.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)