Defensive Replacements (1 Viewer)

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Well it's fairly clear that we will need to buy at least two new defenders over the summer, as Montero will probably not sign another contract with the club. Moreover, with the three other CB's we have shipped out in January our backline looks rather thin. Top prospects in my books:

Luis Perea (Atletico Madrid, 26 years old)- Colombian centerback who plays right next to Pablo in defense. A strong, fast, smart defender who reminds me of a more physical version of Thuram. I have seen him play the past two matches against Albacete and Barca respectively, and he absolutely owned Etoo and Ronaldinho today. Right now Perea looks like a world class defender.

Pablo Ibanez (A. Madrid, 24 years old)- Spanish CB who has become one of Spain's best stoppers. Not particulary fast, however he is very strong and good in the air. Both him and Perea look like two of the best CBs in La Liga.

Andrea Barzagli (Palermo, 24)- Italian CB who leads the Guidolin's defense at Palermo, and was very successful at shutting down our Juve on Saturday. He did not give Trezeguet or Zlatan much time at all on the ball, and looked very solid. He is the most promising Italian CB after the Maldini and Nesta era IMO.

Miguel (Benfica, 26)- Portuguese RB who helped Portugal reach the Euro 2004 Final. He is very adept at attacking and not bad in defense. Certainly a better choice at RB than Zebina...

Rodriguez Gonzalo (Villareal, 21)- Argentinian defender who was linked with Juve more than any other defender last year. Gonzalo is a very strong defender who does not have any glarring weaknesses. Looks like a good enough player to replace Montero.

Jorge Andrade (Deportivo, 26)- Class Portuguese CB who led the backline along with Cavarhlo at Euro 2004. Andrade is world class stopper who might leave Deportivo over the summer.

Right now my favorite is Perea, as he looks like an up and coming world class defender.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
We were linked to Pablo this winter market but I think Atletico renewed his contract and doesnt want to sell him

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
lous Perea is solid.. I saw him last night against Barca.. he's amazing..

but, what defenders do we got on loan..??

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
i would go for 3.

barzagli
miguel
rodriguez

i think miguel for right would be a key signing. And barzagli and rodriguez are young and have great futures.

i would also bring back Chiellini as back up to zambrotta.

at least this way will have.

miguel thuram cannavaro zambrotta
(Zebina) (barzagli) (rodriguez) (Chiellini)

and we could sell montero, pessotto, birindelli, tudor, legrottaglie and ciro can retire.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
good defense there, but Chiellini and Rodriguez are not bench-materials.. it unfair to bring them and not play them regulary.. beside they will refuse staying on the bench and we'll have problems..

but, I'll die to have that line..

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I'd keep tabs on Andrade, Depor look to be a sinking ship.. losing Pandiani to birmingham :D . The atletico pair look very exciting but this is la liga.. how they'd cope I don't know.. would they even want to leave is a bigger question.

Dec 26, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Well it's fairly clear that we will need to buy at least two new defenders over the summer, as Montero will probably not sign another contract with the club. Moreover, with the three other CB's we have shipped out in January our backline looks rather thin. Top prospects in my books:

Luis Perea (Atletico Madrid, 26 years old)- Colombian centerback who plays right next to Pablo in defense. A strong, fast, smart defender who reminds me of a more physical version of Thuram. I have seen him play the past two matches against Albacete and Barca respectively, and he absolutely owned Etoo and Ronaldinho today. Right now Perea looks like a world class defender.

Pablo Ibanez (A. Madrid, 24 years old)- Spanish CB who has become one of Spain's best stoppers. Not particulary fast, however he is very strong and good in the air. Both him and Perea look like two of the best CBs in La Liga.

Andrea Barzagli (Palermo, 24)- Italian CB who leads the Guidolin's defense at Palermo, and was very successful at shutting down our Juve on Saturday. He did not give Trezeguet or Zlatan much time at all on the ball, and looked very solid. He is the most promising Italian CB after the Maldini and Nesta era IMO.

Miguel (Benfica, 26)- Portuguese RB who helped Portugal reach the Euro 2004 Final. He is very adept at attacking and not bad in defense. Certainly a better choice at RB than Zebina...

Rodriguez Gonzalo (Villareal, 21)- Argentinian defender who was linked with Juve more than any other defender last year. Gonzalo is a very strong defender who does not have any glarring weaknesses. Looks like a good enough player to replace Montero.

Jorge Andrade (Deportivo, 26)- Class Portuguese CB who led the backline along with Cavarhlo at Euro 2004. Andrade is world class stopper who might leave Deportivo over the summer.

Right now my favorite is Perea, as he looks like an up and coming world class defender.
+ Chivu ...

arc

Mar 11, 2004
im abt to mention chivu !!

IN Chivu Perea Chiellini Barzagli (loan out for 1 season)

OUT legro montero tudor appiah

if ur talking about defensive replacement, i think i can bring the issue of dm here too, seriously, send away appiah n get another world class dm to partner emerson

Sid

Nov 10, 2003
you wanna loan out Barzagli? eerr...that would make us like Inter...destroying young talent...and plus..it would be wasting money to get him from Palermo in the first place

Juventino

Jul 27, 2002
Masiello will probably be brought to the first team next year...
Have heard great things about him from people that have a close
eye on our primavera team...

Many teams have been interested on a loan deal, however it has
been said that JUVE is hoping to see this player become a "Maldini".
Brought in from the youth team and stay in the team till the end,
becoming some sort of an icon...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)