Defensive line-up (2 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
In the last few games, our defense looks a bit fragile. So I make a proposal.
I think we should switch Lillian Thuram to the centre of defense, while field Iuliano as a left back, when he comes back from injury. Birindelli should also play as a right back for the time being.

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Jun-hide

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #3
    Why?
    Personally, I think Thuram's best position is at the centre of defense. After all, he played well in that position for Parma and our central paring this year is far from convincing.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Thuram has been superb so far this season,and he has been doing so as a right back. It won't make any sense moving him around.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by [DJ Juve] ] ++
    plus he and camo seam to have a good partnership....
    Yes they do,and plus,Birindelli is doing well at left back,so switching everything around right now will just undo all of the work done so far.

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    Yeah, That's right Keep Everything as it is and just Sign a new Central Defender.This would solve our problems in the back line.

Respaul

Jul 14, 2002
    Thuram as CB.

Definately not!!
    1. hes finally found his feet at right back this season.... no one better to take that role.

2. Hes not a very good CB. Jus look at the games he has played for us as CB (especially 2 weeks ago) ,hes been awful.
    He goes forward too much for a CB and breaks the cardinal rule of being a CB constantly.... He doesnt hold his central partner!!

Luliano as LB

Definately not!!

Hes been tried there several times and it doesnt work..... mark is an old school defender and doesnt go forward well... hes probably the most truely natural CB in our squad.

OP
    Jun-hide

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #10
    I think the problem with our defense is that we lack pace and we can get caught by quick forwards. Montero, in particular, has definitely lost a yard or two and this is worrying. Iuliano is a capable man-marker but for me he is totally brainless. Besides, I think he played really well as a left back when Pessetto got injured. :)
    Personally, I prefer the old school left back who can keep the sideline safe than forward going right backs. That is unless you are Zanetti, Cafu, Carlos, or Contra. The main purpose of defense is not to concede goals.
    Thuram has also in past played very well as a CB. He is a better man marker than Montero or Iuliano. Just look at video tapes when he played for Parma. He gives pace on the back line. Also, he is probably best tackling defender in the team beside Montero.
    After all we conceded in virtually every game against quality team. Depor burned us in early moments, so did Roma, so did Lazio. Inter, Parma, Milan all managed to score against us. Just a coninicidence? I personally think that is not the case.

The best solution is to bring a good young CB but I doubt we have enough money to bring big names in January.

Alessandro

Sep 13, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
    The best solution is to bring a good young CB but I doubt we have enough money to bring big names in January.
    We dont need names. We need player. Ony one, but quality. For example Mexes, Marques, Hofland, Chivu etc. Any of them will cost ~10-15 mln $. Of even 5-10 for someone. ;-) anyway we have that money. And can earn some, for example to sell Salas for Cavenagi.

ps. We still own Zanchi. He was really good player last season (top 11 of championsip), dont know how he's doing now?

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
    Thuram has been solid at right back all season,defensively and offensively,so don't even think of playing him as a CB. Iuliano hasn't seen much play,while Montero was out of the picture during the beginning of the season with an injury. Ferrara has been reasonably good when needed but wont get a starting place when Tudor returns. In the new year I hope to see Tudor playing as a defender and not as a midfielder,but we still need a new centre back. Preferably Mexes or Bonera. The problem at left back has been solved with the return of Pessotto,Birindelli's new form,and Moretti's availability.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    Juventus FC defender Mark Iuliano faces more than a month on the sidelines with a thigh strain suffered in the 2-1 home defeat by S.S. Lazio.

Rest required
    The Italian international defender limped out of Sunday's match and a scan since has confirmed the injury to his left thigh will require several weeks' rest. With Croatian defender Igor Tudor still recovering from a thigh injury himself, Iuliano's injury means a likely starting place for Ciro Ferrara in Sunday's match against Perugia Calcio.

Nedved passed fit
    Better news for Juve coach Marcello Lippi is that Czech international Pavel Nedved, who also picked up an injury against Lazio, will be fit for the Perugia game.

uefa.com

Well our defence was not rock-solid before and with Iuliano out for a month, who knows what's going on with Tudor, Montero's frequent injuries and Ciro not being the youngest anymore, it's about time we start looking for someone. We had a great opportunity in the summer to get one or the other best defender for pocket money, but we left them slide to other clubs (which is not that bad seeing that they are not performing very well), something we cannot let happen again.

Chivu or Mexes seem the best options to me.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    oooh damn! :(
    oh well, at least we got ferrara or fresi, they'll do a job

on Thuram, every time I have seen him at right back this year he has been fantastic! The defeat to brescia, if I am not mistaken Thuram was centre back!

Signor

Jul 13, 2002
    As Iuliano is injured for a month it's time to get into the market and Grap the best defender possible or we will be lost.

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
    Yeah, we should definately buy someone. Now as Thuram is in great form and the left back problem has been solved, we only have the centre to worry about. Buying a quality, and if possible young and fast defender like Mexes or Chivu would be the right thing to do imo. Hopefully he would adapt quickly, as he will would be needed for the rest of the season at least.

Jul 12, 2002
    Chivu and Mexes are both central backs. Why not buy a real left-back. He will be better and cheaper. My suggestion would be John O'brien from Ajax.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
    Because we don't need a left back at the moment. We don't have a "star" to cover that position, but they do the job. What we need is a C defender and nothing more.

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by nina ] ++
    Because we don't need a left back at the moment. We don't have a "star" to cover that position, but they do the job. What we need is a C defender and nothing more.
    Yeah, but O'brien is a really good left back who can cover other positions as well. I wouldn't describe him as a star, but he is really good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)