Debunking Dawkins' Central Argument (1 Viewer)

OP
rounder
Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #3
    Dawkins' argument contradicts scienc since there would be an infinite regression. Did you even watch the video?

OP
    rounder
    Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #5
    good for you. 200 years of science don't convince you, but a 5.07 minute long video does?
    I believe in macroeveolution and microevolution, I believe the universe is 14 billion years old, and the earth about 5 billion years old, I believe that the earliest forms of man can be traced back approximately 100 thousand years. Please explain to me how you even came to that conclusion.

Edit: Oh, I see.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    With all the suffering the world goes through, if there is a God, then fuck him right in the ass. He should be ashamed of Himself.

OP
    rounder
    Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #7
    These feelings are understable Andy, but if you wish for God to prohibit all the pain and suffering in the world, wouldn't that take away our freedom? How different are we from sheep, then?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    These feelings are understable Andy, but if you wish for God to prohibit all the pain and suffering in the world, wouldn't that take away our freedom? How different are we from sheep, then?
    How about just making us good in the first place? Rather than make us bad and "allow us" to be bad? Makes no sense whatsoever.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    That doesn't make any sense. We're sheep under a God that we praise relentlessly.

"I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time." - Friedrich Nietzsche

And that's all I have to say about this.

OP
    rounder
    Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #10
    How about just making us good in the first place? Rather than make us bad and "allow us" to be bad? Makes no sense whatsoever.
    Because if God only allowed us to be good, we would not be able to act freely and pesonally accept God out of our own will. If everyone was good, and no one was bad, then everybody by default would accept God, thus free will would not exist.

That doesn't make any sense. We're sheep under a God that we praise relentlessly.

"I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time." - Friedrich Nietzsche

And that's all I have to say about this.
    You don't have to, and that's the whole point. God does not force you to live your life by his rules, He gives you the freedom to act on your own account. We don't have to praise God, we choose to do so, thus we are not sheep since sheep cannot choose to do anything.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Dont think he debunked Dawkins Central argument. Because if you dont need to have an explanation of explanation, to accept the first explanation, like in his eg. Like finding some machinery on the back side of the moon, we dont need an explanation right away for this, because there is a possability of it happening, but in gods case, there isnt, not now not in the future, because god is supposed to be the first, so saying god would have to have a designer is valid argument, because the explanation itself would disprove god as some of you know it.

So god is a floating mind in the universe, eh? cool.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Because if God only allowed us to be good, we would not be able to act freely and pesonally accept God out of our own will. If everyone was good, and no one was bad, then everybody by default would accept God, thus free will would not exist.

You don't have to, and that's the whole point. God does not force you to live your life by his rules, He gives you the freedom to act on your own account. We don't have to praise God, we choose to do so, thus we are not sheep since sheep cannot choose to do anything.
    But we're not free. God made us, he built us. Which means he knows what we'll do. Doesn't make sense at all.

You're saying:

- God created man (so he knows what man is all about)
    - He wants to see what man does (but he already knows that both because he built man and because he is all knowing in the first place)

What kind of retard is this God of yours?

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Can omniscient God, who
    Knows the future, find
    The omnipotence to
    Change His future mind?

Maybe one of you could try to answer?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Being good and accepting god have nothing to do with each other. Religious people are no more good than others.

So if I didn't have the ability to be bad then I wouldn't have free will. But you know what? I don't have free will. I can't fly. I can't breathe under water. I can't read people's minds. So I don't have free will. Why should the ability to be bad be a requirement for free will but not flying?

And most importantly, if I have free will, I should have the power to destroy god. If I want to. THAT's free will. Until then I'm merely a slave of his.

OP
    rounder
    Jun 13, 2007
  • Thread Starter #15
    But we're not free. God made us, he built us. Which means he knows what we'll do. Doesn't make sense at all.

You're saying:

- God created man (so he knows what man is all about)
    - He wants to see what man does (but he already knows that both because he built man and because he is all knowing in the first place)

What kind of retard is this God of yours?
    The two are not logically incompatible. He gave man the free will to choose to either accept or deny him, whether he knows this or not is irrelevant. Even if God knows what I will do next, that does not stop me from having the power of doing it. Thus I still maintain my free will regardless of the fact that an all-knowing being is pre-informed of my actions.

Dont think he debunked Dawkins Central argument. Because if you dont need to have an explanation of explanation, to accept the first explanation, like in his eg. Like finding some machinery on the back side of the moon, we dont need an explanation right away for this, because there is a possability of it happening, but in gods case, there isnt, not now not in the future, because god is supposed to be the first, so saying god would have to have a designer is valid argument, because the explanation itself would disprove god as some of you know it.

So god is a floating mind in the universe, eh? cool.
    You are postulating that that God is an impossibility. I might also add that it is a highly unintelligible statement as well, you cannot assert something like that unless you have absolute evidence to back you up. What is your evidence for knowing that God is an impossibility.

On the intellectual level, asserting that God does exist or does not exist for sure is equally unintelligible and naive. Thus your hypothesis does not add up.

Being good and accepting god have nothing to do with each other. Religious people are no more good than others.

So if I didn't have the ability to be bad then I wouldn't have free will. But you know what? I don't have free will. I can't fly. I can't breathe under water. I can't read people's minds. So I don't have free will. Why should the ability to be bad be a requirement for free will but not flying?

And most importantly, if I have free will, I should have the power to destroy god. If I want to. THAT's free will. Until then I'm merely a slave of his.
    Because we are human beings and if our bodies would not be able to withstand the pressure of flying at certain altitiudes, we would quite simply die. What you may be talking about is immortality, not free will.

The free will I am talking about is being able to act and think freely without anyone or anything from stopping you. This is exactly the type of world we live in, thus we do have free will. And as I have mentioned earlier, the fact that God is pre-informed of our actions does not all conflict with the nature of our free will.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    The two are not logically incompatible. He gave man the free will to choose to either accept or deny him, whether he knows this or not is irrelevant. Even if God knows what I will do next, that does not stop me from having the power of doing it. Thus I still maintain my free will regardless of the fact that an all-knowing being is pre-informed of my actions.
    What possible purpose would that serve? God telling the Devil "You see, I told you so"? He would have built the entire universe, would have created man, would have created free will, just to demonstrate his power to.. well.. himself. It's not even an experiment FFS.

Let's say I build a chair. Then I say to my best mate (in casu the devil): "I bet that chair is going to fall over in five minutes.". Next thing you know I push the chair down.

What the fuck is that?

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Because we are human beings and if our bodies would not be able to withstand the pressure of flying at certain altitiudes, we would quite simply die. What you may be talking about is immortality, not free will.
    Not at all. Why shouldn't I have the power to fly just the way I have the power to submerge myself in water? In either direction, up or down, if I go too far I die. A perfect example of free will, wouldn't you say?

But no, I can't fly. If I could have I would have. So how can you call that free will? I'm being completely obstructed, I can't choose what I would have chosen.

The free will I am talking about is being able to act and think freely without anyone or anything from stopping you. This is exactly the type of world we live in, thus we do have free will. And as I have mentioned earlier, the fact that God is pre-informed of our actions does not all conflict with the nature of our free will.
    I cannot act freely. I cannot even fly. I cannot see or talk to this supposed god. I cannot do any of the things I want. And god could have given me all these things, but he didn't. How is that free will?

Your free will argument is completely unconvincing.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004

I think you're confusing free will with physical capabilities :shifty:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    I think you're confusing free will with physical capabilities :shifty:
    No. Think about it, JuveRev says my ability to do bad means I have free will. That's a physical ability, right? If I hit someone, that's a physical act. What if I didn't have that ability? I couldn't hit people then, could I? So why do I have this ability and not flying, which I would much rather have? All in the name of "free will".

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    No. Think about it, JuveRev says my ability to do bad means I have free will. That's a physical ability, right? If I hit someone, that's a physical act. What if I didn't have that ability? I couldn't hit people then, could I? So why do I have this ability and not flying, which I would much rather have? All in the name of "free will".
    No, this analogy is totally bizarre. Free will is being able to decide what you WANT to do, not what you CAN do. If you WANT to you fly you're welcome to try it, no one is going to stop you from doing it but CAN you, that's a different question entirely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)