Dear Marty and friends (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
We get a couple of new spam threads everyday. You boys close them up and so when I look for new posts, I see two or three closed threads in the list. Threads that shouldn't be on the list, that shouldn't exist. When a spammer registers on the forum to spam, he knows he has a short window of opportunity to work in. Once you ban him and he can post no more, all that remains is the thread he opened. A thread which is still there, which bugs everyone. Instead of closing the thread, in which the spammer has no intention of posting anyway, and leaving it there for all of us to see and step around, how about say.. hm.. deleting it? That way the spammer's exposure is much reduced and the forum is cleaner? It's also much faster than going into the thread, editing out the links or whatever, to un-spam it.

You know it makes sense.

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Yeah, as it stands, we edit the post, so the spammer gets no benefit, but we should really move the thread to the test room or delete it too.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
:agree: That makes the forum much more tidy and clean...

And it gives newcomers and guests a bad impression if they find many threads with sexual references...

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #8
    mikhail said:
    One of the private sub-forums. Mainly for new mods to try out stuff without pissing off everyone. Doubles as the rubbish bin.
    You know what else doubles as the rubbish bin? Reliable old /dev/null ;) :D

It's never let me down! :eek: :wink:

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    Homer: Ah, not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm!
    Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
    Homer: Thank you, honey.
    Lisa: By your logic, I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away!
    Homer: Uh-huh, and how does it work?
    Lisa: It doesn't work.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
    Homer: Uh-huh.
    Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around here, do you?
    Homer: (Looks around) Lisa, I'd like to buy your rock.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    mikhail said:
    Yeah, as it stands, we edit the post, so the spammer gets no benefit, but we should really move the thread to the test room or delete it too.

Thats what I always did. Keep it for evidence in the test room but take it out of the public eye.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Oh, but it can be so much fun to publicly ridicule them -- changing the URLs, changing their post to comments about cutting off their own fingers, etc.. That's the part that I'll miss. :sad:

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    Zlatan said:
    Thats what I always did. Keep it for evidence in the test room but take it out of the public eye.
    Zlatty Balty?:D You are back??!!!!:eek:

Welcome man, great to have you back....

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    I used to edit posts just for the fun of it, but I can't top Fliakis' "I'm a coffee can". Martin happened to suggest this to me a day after I was out of inspiration to edit a spam thread. I have already deleted two spam threads by the way.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Erik-with-a-k said:
    Elvin racist? He's Winnie the Pooh :undecide:
    You know, I seem to recall some accusations of racist connotations in Winnie the Pooh, though I might be confusing it with something else.

No, really, I'm not kidding!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)