Daniele Rugani (41 Viewers)

Jun 16, 2020
I'd have played Benatia every week ahead of Bonucci given their form and previous season's form. But the biggest mistake was selling Benatia and thinking we could replace him with Caceres.
Yeah but somehow Max was playing Bonucci instead of Benatia. He should had rotated at least. I felt he lost faith in Benatia after mistakes vs Napoli (Koulibaly goal) and Real Madrid (Vazquez penalty) the season before that. But ignoring Benatia eventually brought us to playing Rugani in QF so honestly there was some blame for Allegri in that one. And of course we had some bad luck with Chiellini’s injury.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Boksic

May 11, 2005
The only problem was that benatia was injury prone if I'm not mistaken.
So we replaced him with the ever reliable Caceres?

Benatia at the most missed 5 games a season.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but somehow Max was playing Bonucci instead of Benatia. He should had rotated at least. I felt he lost faith in Benatia after mistakes vs Napoli (Koulibaly goal) and Real Madrid (Vazquez penalty) the season before that. But ignoring Benatia eventually brought us to playing Rugani in QF so honestly there was some blame for Allegri in that one. And of course we had some bad luck with Chiellini’s injury.
I agree that he clearly lost faith in him and it seems like they didn't get on. I also would have wanted him to play more.

But it was madness to sell him midway through the season and not replace him properly. That is what truly cost us.

If we kept him to the end of the season we would likely have had him available to play. If we signed someone who could stay fit for more than 1 match we could have used them instead.

Anyway, it is all in the past and no point going over it again in the Rugani thread.

Jun 16, 2020
So we replaced him with the ever reliable Caceres?

Benatia at the most missed 5 games a season.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that he clearly lost faith in him and it seems like they didn't get on. I also would have wanted him to play more.

But it was madness to sell him midway through the season and not replace him properly. That is what truly cost us.

If we kept him to the end of the season we would likely have had him available to play. If we signed someone who could stay fit for more than 1 match we could have used them instead.

Anyway, it is all in the past and no point going over it again in the Rugani thread.
Benatia ended up refusing to play.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
He wasn't.

Rugani fully deserves a lot of the criticism he gets but to say he is at fault for both goals is not true.
You would have been spot on if this was Alex Sandro's thread...
What was Rugani doing on the first goal? Marking the same striker De Ligt was standing next to. Behind him there was nobody...

On the second goal I was surprised to see him go for the ball when he clearly was at disadvantage. I'd have expected him to fall back. In general his positioning was shit so it probably didn't matter what was his decision.

AS is at fault for both goals but at the same time he's asked to cover the whole left flank. Offensively it's nonexistent, there's nobody there most of the time.

tosh_rose

Aug 21, 2010
What was Rugani doing on the first goal? Marking the same striker De Ligt was standing next to. Behind him there was nobody...

On the second goal I was surprised to see him go for the ball when he clearly was at disadvantage. I'd have expected him to fall back. In general his positioning was shit so it probably didn't matter what was his decision.

AS is at fault for both goals but at the same time he's asked to cover the whole left flank. Offensively it's nonexistent, there's nobody there most of the time.
Oh, man, I'm not defending Rugani at all, perhaps the only good thing I've said about him last couple of years is that he is a good option to have as a 5th CB, nothing more. He also made his mistakes, he was poor and all, but there was two Udinese players in our penalty area, unmarked, and Sandro was far, far away from them...

It's easy to point fingers, fact is we defended like amateurs, shit like this happens every single game we play recently, Sandro and Rugani are the usual suspects, along with Bonucci.

We simply suck at defending, pretty much every single fan would like and want to splash the cash on a star midfielder next month cause we suck at midfield too, but I keep feeling that our defence needs a serious upgrade, a massive one, DeLigt and Demiral is a dream center pair, Cuads is okay, but the rest are...

rainhard

May 5, 2004
He has NO potential at all!
If Demiral had played, he wouldn't have paraded.
I dont know why Sarri still play him after all bad result again Milan, Sassuolo and the latest Udinese

Just watch closely in 3 games we losing after lead comfortably there are Rugani in there

The question is why?
Because he dont give strong presence in out defend

As for great defender, they will do everything to stop Fofana, not scared of yellow even red card. At least with minute left it still can be 1-1

Sent from my RMX1921 using Tapatalk

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
He wasn't.

Rugani fully deserves a lot of the criticism he gets but to say he is at fault for both goals is not true.
1st goal is more of Sandro's fault
But 2nd goal, i would say he is the one who make a mistake. His passing to Ronaldo is atrocious. I dont see the reason he decide to pass to Ronaldo when he could pass to Sandro or the CM.
Sandro should made professional foul on Fofana to stop the counter attack

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
But 2nd goal, i would say he is the one who make a mistake. His passing to Ronaldo is atrocious. I dont see the reason he decide to pass to Ronaldo when he could pass to Sandro or the CM.
Defenders who haven't played much can get rusty with their teammate passing. But playing Udinese shouldn't have been a lot to ask for. Turns out it was.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Fofana ran 50 yards past 2 defenders, who had plenty of opportunities to deal with the situation. Rugani made a mistake but is the least to blame out of the 3 defenders.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 39)