Daniele Rugani (12 Viewers)

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Physically he's fine, which is why he tends to look better when he's man marking someone. When he needs to work with his team mates, we start to see his weaknesses as he lacks a brain.

Buy on AliExpress.com

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
He's quite underrated on these forums, but what he ain't as good as you make him out to be either, not by far.
I don't make him out to be anything he's not. Right now he's a fine backup and he's starting quality on any other team in Serie A. I think we can agree there. He hasn't cost us games and at the same time he has potential. So that's an interesting player to have IMO.

Physically, he's great. In my opinion it's harder to teach physicality and athleticism than it is tactics. I'm not going to say anyone can become great at the mental side of the game because not all players can but it's possible. What's impossible is for someone to grow a couple inches or gain speed out of nowhere.

I don't know if everyone remembers Caceres when we first bought him but he was the epitome of brainless. What he had was athleticism that we all drooled over. As he got older his mental side improved and now he's useful at RB and CB.

For me, I will always take a chance on the players with elite athleticism. I just get annoyed when people don't acknowledge the strengths Ogbonna obviously possesses. Like he's Portanova or something. Some CB that can't run or jump and he was just a sunk cost we bought from Torino to fill the bench.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't Ogbonna almost cost us an equaliser last night with a sleepy pass?
Yes and it was a bad error. But then again I was fearful of that when he had to come on the pitch without even warming up since Caceres hurt his shoulder abruptly. And again, stepping in at RCB in a 3-5-2 which has to be probably his 5th most preferred position.

These are excuses of course and you can't make them for any top CB but I'm not saying that's what he is right now. I'm saying he is, at the present, a capable CB. He is ok right now. And at the same time he has the potential for more. I would be more inclined to give up on him if he had some glaring limitation like the inability to run or to turn his hips (cough Bonucci). Something that is simply impossible to correct.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't have a problem with him physically and technically, he's perhaps even our best defender in that respect, he's just really dozy. It doesn't help that he has little consecutive game time, but for what is now a rotation role for him he needs to be switched on coming into games when he does.

RFSK

Jul 19, 2013
That suggests he will replace Barzagli, and that we are going to give Ogbonna another season.
hm. anything about an option to buy him for a fixed amount?
and i thought co-ownerships will have to be resolved at the end of this season? so we buy back his half and loan him again?
Hmm this can be interesting if empoli move down this season, it could mean that we will send him to Sassuolo well i would actually prefer if we loaned him out to a club whos in EL

Tak!

Jun 23, 2011
I don't make him out to be anything he's not. Right now he's a fine backup and he's starting quality on any other team in Serie A. I think we can agree there. He hasn't cost us games and at the same time he has potential. So that's an interesting player to have IMO.

Physically, he's great. In my opinion it's harder to teach physicality and athleticism than it is tactics. I'm not going to say anyone can become great at the mental side of the game because not all players can but it's possible. What's impossible is for someone to grow a couple inches or gain speed out of nowhere.

I don't know if everyone remembers Caceres when we first bought him but he was the epitome of brainless. What he had was athleticism that we all drooled over. As he got older his mental side improved and now he's useful at RB and CB.

For me, I will always take a chance on the players with elite athleticism. I just get annoyed when people don't acknowledge the strengths Ogbonna obviously possesses. Like he's Portanova or something. Some CB that can't run or jump and he was just a sunk cost we bought from Torino to fill the bench.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes and it was a bad error. But then again I was fearful of that when he had to come on the pitch without even warming up since Caceres hurt his shoulder abruptly. And again, stepping in at RCB in a 3-5-2 which has to be probably his 5th most preferred position.

These are excuses of course and you can't make them for any top CB but I'm not saying that's what he is right now. I'm saying he is, at the present, a capable CB. He is ok right now. And at the same time he has the potential for more. I would be more inclined to give up on him if he had some glaring limitation like the inability to run or to turn his hips (cough Bonucci). Something that is simply impossible to correct.
I can see what his first, second, and third favorite position would be, but what would his fourth be? Got me curious

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
1. LCB in 4 man line
2. LCB in 3 man line
3. RCB in 4 man line
4. Sweeper in 3 man line
5. RCB in 3 man line

If you include LB it could be even lower!

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
1. LCB in 4 man line
2. LCB in 3 man line
3. RCB in 4 man line
4. Sweeper in 3 man line
5. RCB in 3 man line

If you include LB it could be even lower!
i think hes better at LB than far on the right in a 3 man backline. im taking the Real game as example as we havent seen him playing LB anymore since then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)