Cristiano Zanetti (3 Viewers)

roberto*baggio

*Roberto Baggio*
Dec 3, 2006
For fuck's sake, Zanetti was as loyal as it gets. He signed for us while we were in Serie A, then we got relegated and he said, nevermind, I'll play for you in B as well. Never once caused any problems and lets not forget the amazing performances he put in. So yeah, it matters how he left. He definetly didn't deserve this treatment.
Couldn't say it better.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Us not offering extension to him I totally get, as I he isnt needed as much anymore and when he is 33 years old to boot, but I concur with Vlatko its not nice reading we mishandled it a little, though Zanetti even though angry, isnt really contradicting Secco much. Had no will offering him extension, and would lost him next summer for free, so selling him when there is a crowded midfield is fine.

But never the less, no reason to disrespect Zanetti if thats indeed the case (not offering him extension IMO isnt disrespect), he has been a fine servant for us and been a model professional who given us enough to not treat him badly, should atleast part amicably with him..

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
Agreed all over about the treatment of zanetti, Secco could have handled it in a better way because this man gave a lot to this team when he should have not motivation to do so ( in some cases you get players, who play for a national team spot. Zanetti did not!).

I understand why Secco did not want to offer him another contract as it makes sense in the long run. He was in a difficult situation but there are other ways to handle these situations instead of simply saying thank you and good bye in this manner.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
For fuck's sake, Zanetti was as loyal as it gets. He signed for us while we were in Serie A, then we got relegated and he said, nevermind, I'll play for you in B as well. Never once caused any problems and lets not forget the amazing performances he put in. So yeah, it matters how he left. He definetly didn't deserve this treatment.
That sums it up quite nicely. I even remember some interview with him before the start our season in Serie B: He didn't even regret having chosen for us.
He was one of our best players both in Serie B & our first season back in Serie A, so the management should have acted differently in this case.

And really, what does a club have to lose when a player is willing to sign a "pay as you play" contract?

Durden

May 11, 2006
Secco still need to improve on many areas, and clearly when it comes to the press. We had a great mercato overall, but I still don't like Secco and the way he handled the Zanetti situation is just sad. He's just not competent enough. He has no press skills, he can't sell players and he fucked up our relations with udine. Sure there has been improvement, but he's still just not good enough for Juve. So that leaves me with just this..

FUCK SUCKO!!!!!

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
So what do you suggest we do? Whine and bash Secco?

Well, be my guest. I know I won't join your ritual.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

So what do you suggest we do? Whine and bash Secco?

Well, be my guest. I know I won't join your ritual.
I'm not anti-Secco at all, it's not about him at all. It's about a good, loyal player that was treated unfairly. We weren't able to offload Poulsen and out of a clear blue sky, we got rid of Zanetti instead. A move which surprised everyone, from players to the fans. I don't know about you but I'm disapointed to see our name slated in the press by a stand-up guy like Zanetti. This is not Miccolli we're talking about.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Where exactly does Secco say that he "Offered a 3 year contract", and "Zanetti asked for a first team place" and "the reason we sold zanetti was because of his age and injuries"

Please, someone, ANYONE show me where he said those things, verbatim, as Zanetti has claimed that he did.

From what I read, Secco sold zanetti because it was his last chance to cash in on a player that was in the last year of his contract, and that there was no way they were going to be able to offer a 3 year deal for him considering that they signed Melo, and by the way if you believe football italia, it was ZANETTI who asked Juventus for a 3 year contract.

And as far as this whole "Secco ruined the relationship with Udinese" bullshit. I see that D'Agostino is STILL with Udinese. So, either Secco is also advising some of the other teams that were interested in D'Agostino, or maybe, just maybe, Udinese's demands were just so ridiculous that Udinese was never going to sell him in the first place.

Geof

May 14, 2004
Where exactly does Secco say that he "Offered a 3 year contract", and "Zanetti asked for a first team place" and "the reason we sold zanetti was because of his age and injuries"

Please, someone, ANYONE show me where he said those things, verbatim, as Zanetti has claimed that he did.

From what I read, Secco sold zanetti because it was his last chance to cash in on a player that was in the last year of his contract, and that there was no way they were going to be able to offer a 3 year deal for him considering that they signed Melo, and by the way if you believe football italia, it was ZANETTI who asked Juventus for a 3 year contract.

And as far as this whole "Secco ruined the relationship with Udinese" bullshit. I see that D'Agostino is STILL with Udinese. So, either Secco is also advising some of the other teams that were interested in D'Agostino, or maybe, just maybe, Udinese's demands were just so ridiculous that Udinese was never going to sell him in the first place.
Exatctly. These are just journalists trying to make a story where there is none. AFAIK, Zanetti agreed to leave no? Poulsen refused a couple of offers, so fine he stays. Zanetti accepted, good luck to him for the rest of his carreer!

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
For those of you who care:

This was an (the?) initial interview Secco gave about the whole thing, published in Tuttosport 11/08:

Particolari retroscena di mercato sulla cessione di Cristiano Zanetti alla Fiorentinasono venuti fuori in un'intervista di Alessio Secco rilasciata a Tutto Sport:
"La cessione di Zanetti è stata necessaria. Io penso che la Juventus si sia impegnata sul mercato in entrata come forse nessuna altra squadra in Italia e poche in Europa. C'era, a questo punto, un'esigenza numerica di far uscire un centrocampista, è capitata l'opportunità di cedere Zanetti e l'abbiamo colta. Anche perché - ha detto il direttore sportivo bianconero - sarebbe stata l' ultima occasione di incassare qualcosa, visto che a fine stagione si sarebbe liberato a parametro zero. I centrocampisti sono tanti: Felipe Melo, Marchisio, Camoranesi, Poulsen, Tiago e Sissoko quando tornerà. E anche dal punto di vista economico bisognava far qua*drare il bilancio con una cessione e, quindi, con uno stipendio in meno.
Anche perché Zanetti ci aveva chiesto un rinnovo di contratto che non potevamo concedergli. Chiedeva quello che gli ha offerto la Fiorentina? Sì. E non potevamo offrirgli un triennale. Abbiamo investito una cifra im portante su Felipe Melo in quel ruolo e anche per un fattore anagrafico è lui il futuro. E poi abbiamo Marchisio: in fondo è significativo che nel giorno in cui è stato ceduto Zanetti, Marchisio ha vissuto il suo primo giorno in Nazionale. Crediamo molto in lui e lui sta ripagando la nostra fiducia.
Zanetti aveva chiesto anche garanzie tecniche? "Diciamo che è un giocatore che quando sta bene vuole giocare." E' stato Zanetti a chiedere di essere ceduto? "Sì, è stato lui a chiedercelo e noi non tratteniamo nessuno che non sia convinto al cento per cento di rimanere".

Secco does literally say that Zanetti requested a new contract, which Juve wouldn't or couldn't give.

So, one of them is lying but we'll probably never know who, because Secco has never struck me as a liar & neither has Zanetti.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
So let me see if I get this straight. See, I'm not as intellectually sound as a lot of others here on this board in all matters football and the transfer market.

Zanetti is in the last year of his contract. At the age of 32. Coming off of an injury prone season. Making over 2 million dollars a year. Where unless there are a serious rash of injuries on this team, he is not going to see first team football.

So, instead of letting Zanetti rot on the sidelines, Juventus sells him to his childhood team, where he has a chance to play more often, and sign a new 3 year contract, thereby securing his future, to a team by the way that is also in the champions league and could be a direct threat to Juventus.

And somehow, SECCO IS THE BAD GUY IN ALL OF THIS?!?!?!?!?!

Are you guys just retarded, or do you have some sort of hidden agenda?

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
So let me see if I get this straight. See, I'm not as intellectually sound as a lot of others here on this board in all matters football and the transfer market.

Zanetti is in the last year of his contract. At the age of 32. Coming off of an injury prone season. Making over 2 million dollars a year. Where unless there are a serious rash of injuries on this team, he is not going to see first team football.

So, instead of letting Zanetti rot on the sidelines, Juventus sells him to his childhood team, where he has a chance to play more often, and sign a new 3 year contract, thereby securing his future, to a team by the way that is also in the champions league and could be a direct threat to Juventus.

And somehow, SECCO IS THE BAD GUY IN ALL OF THIS?!?!?!?!?!

Are you guys just retarded, or do you have some sort of hidden agenda?
Is this by any means directed to me? I hope not, because I don't see Secco as the bad guy, or even worse a Fiorentina employee who infiltrated our ranks ;)

There's 2 sides to every story.
And the decision of whether or not a player leaves the club is never made by only one party. We, as Juve fans, should know that by now (Tiago & Poulsen being very recent examples).

I am extremely disappointed he left and I feel we could have handled it differently but, once again, both parties somehow agreed to this.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Fuck Sucko brigade is as hidden as Pamela Andersons ta'tata's.

Well then maybe they should fire Secco, bring Moggi back, have the team spend well beyond its means, get caught in another scandal, get sent down to Serie B again, with the only difference being that they won't have Del Piero, Nedved, Trezeguet, and Camoranesi to bail them out this time.

Would everybody like that?? Huh??

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Is this by any means directed to me? I hope not, because I don't see Secco as the bad guy, or even worse a Fiorentina employee who infiltrated our ranks ;)

There's 2 sides to every story.
And the decision of whether or not a player leaves the club is never made by only one party. We, as Juve fans, should know that by now (Tiago & Poulsen being very recent examples).

I am extremely disappointed he left and I feel we could have handled it differently but, once again, both parties somehow agreed to this.
Oh god no. That wasn't directed to you at all

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I'm not anti-Secco at all, it's not about him at all. It's about a good, loyal player that was treated unfairly. We weren't able to offload Poulsen and out of a clear blue sky, we got rid of Zanetti instead. A move which surprised everyone, from players to the fans. I don't know about you but I'm disapointed to see our name slated in the press by a stand-up guy like Zanetti. This is not Miccolli we're talking about.
I was surprised and a bit disappointed when I learned that he left. It's over now, I won't lose sleep over it and it won't affect my feelings towards any of the concerned parts.

Our name slated in the press? PURLEEEEZ!! After what Moggi did, it won't be slated any more than that and it is far far far from being cleared. Zanetti, Miccoli, Di Vaio, whoever, they are all players with sour grapes after they left (or were shown the door).

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Well then maybe they should fire Secco, bring Moggi back, have the team spend well beyond its means, get caught in another scandal, get sent down to Serie B again, with the only difference being that they won't have Del Piero, Nedved, Trezeguet, and Camoranesi to bail them out this time.

Would everybody like that?? Huh??
I know many would like that.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
You know what would have been the worst type of disrespect that Secco could have shown Zanetti?

If he had done nothing for him at all, and let him sit there on the bench, with no clear indication of what his footballing and financial future would have been.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)