Cristiano Zanetti (5 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Interesting interview with Zanetti in today's Gazetta. Some points:

* Juve never had the intention to renew his contract. Therefore he was (right now) the only player who was unnecessary.
* He never asked for assurances to be a starter. He only wanted to be treated equally to the rest, because he has proved his worth on the pitch.
* He was willing to extend his contract at Juve on a "games played" basis.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
So basically Birindelli had more truth in his posts than everyone thought. Too bad we did so considering that Momo is out for the start of the season. It's really hard for me to understand why we didn't keep the guy if he was willing to accept payment only for games played and sit on the bench. Sure, he is 32, but when Marrone or Marchisio steps on the pitch no one will ask how old they are, and this is the season that counts right know and by selling Cristiano we have reduced our chances to finally win something. Future will tell if this trust in the younger guns will pay back.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
So basically Birindelli had more truth in his posts than everyone thought. Too bad we did so considering that Momo is out for the start of the season. It's really hard for me to understand why we didn't keep the guy if he was willing to accept payment only for games played and sit on the bench. Sure, he is 32, but when Marrone or Marchisio steps on the pitch no one will ask how old they are, and this is the season that counts right know and by selling Cristiano we have reduced our chances to finally win something. Future will tell if this trust in the younger guns will pay back.
Cristiano was probably not gonna be a starter for us anyway...and with all due love and respect to Il Cobra, he isn't as big a match winner that you're making him out to be either...sure he's a pretty good passer of the ball, but we just splashed the cash on Diego, and he's gonna be the creative source now

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

Zanetti: 'Juve lied about me!'
Wednesday 12 August, 2009

Fiorentina signing Cristiano Zanetti blasted Alessio Secco’s “absurd lies. Juventus had no intention of renewing my contract. They lacked respect.”

The midfielder completed a surprise transfer to the Stadio Artemio Franchi and director of sport Alessio Secco suggested yesterday that it was their last chance to cash in on the veteran.

“Let us not say absurd things, this story needs to be explained properly. I took into account Juve’s behaviour towards me and looked around at my options,” Zanetti told the Gazzetta dello Sport.

“They never had any intention of renewing my contract and I was the only player there with a year left to run on his deal.

“They lacked respect. I heard Secco saying some things that I really must rebut. He claimed I had asked for a first team place, but I have never in my life requested such a thing.

“My guarantees are hard work on the pitch. Secco said I demanded a three-year contract, which is another absurd lie.

“How could I request a three-year deal when we never even discussed my contract? I didn’t speak to Secco at all.”

The Bianconeri director also noted that selling Zanetti for £1m was a bargain, considering he had so many injury problems.

“I don’t think I was the only one to be injured at Juventus in the last year,” retaliated the 32-year-old.

“If that was the problem, they could have offered me a one-year pay-as-you-play contract.”

Instead he penned a two-year deal with Fiorentina and the option for a third, returning to the club where he started his career.

“I feel absolutely fine. A year ago people acted as if I was the only one with trouble. Instead as the months went on we all got injured.

“I was very angry, but now I feel better. This matter is over for me. I am happy, very happy, to be at Fiorentina.

“I would never have said no to Fiorentina, as they know how to treat people. That’s enough for me.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zanetti's words hurt so much, they hurt even more because I know he's right. He was really mistreated by Secco and co. It's a darn shame really, by reading the article I felt I was reading about Inter, not Juventus.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
“If that was the problem, they could have offered me a one-year pay-as-you-play contract.
This is what worries me most,if he had a rolling contract then the free agent scenario would never have been an issue.Its sad to see him leave but i just find it hard that some folk will slate the entire mercato over this unfortunate event.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
it sounds like a long running thing then...the mgmt. didn't seem too keen to renewing with him...so we cashed in on him, big fuckin' deal...that being said, should have been handled a lot smoother

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
So Secco lied?

The Moggi worshippers should start loving Secco then, he's doing exactly as his master used to do.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Cristiano was probably not gonna be a starter for us anyway...and with all due love and respect to Il Cobra, he isn't as big a match winner that you're making him out to be either...sure he's a pretty good passer of the ball, but we just splashed the cash on Diego, and he's gonna be the creative source now
Who cares about "starters" and "bench warmers" anyway? Give me one game last season where we started our best possible lineup? I don't know if he's a winner, but Zanetti definetly is a big match player and in order to make us stronger, Diego still needs strong players behind and in front of him. We definetly could have used Cristiano this season or at least get rid of him in more grateful way. I think there is a reason to worry, this definetly didn't make our mercato a complete failure, but i think this deal made our team weaker and our opponents stronger and that's not a good thing. And Secco ain't such a nice guy afterall.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
what difference does it make if Zanetti had gone in a 'nice' way or not? was he a requirement for this season, that is the thing up for debate, and frankly I don't think he was a necessity

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

For fuck's sake, Zanetti was as loyal as it gets. He signed for us while we were in Serie A, then we got relegated and he said, nevermind, I'll play for you in B as well. Never once caused any problems and lets not forget the amazing performances he put in. So yeah, it matters how he left. He definetly didn't deserve this treatment.

Byrone

Peen Meister
Dec 19, 2005
Well treating your players with respect is not a necessity but treating them shamefully will have its kncok on effects.These players spend an absurb amount of time with each other & there are bonds that are formed.It could cause a rift & cuase some morale issues.Not to forget that the last thing this club needs is negative publicity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)