Cristiano Zanetti (3 Viewers)

Apr 16, 2008
Did it baffle you because he did what the player wanted?
I'm astonished that the Juventus officials didn't treat Zanetti with the respect he deserved. As Alessio Secco himself says, the shopping spree for midfielders meant someone had to leave. After unsuccessfully attempting to offload Poulsen, this opportunity arose.

If Secco had managed to do what he intended to do, to sell Poulsen and resolve the situation of Almiron, then I don't think Zanetti would have wanted to leave. There have never been any talk from the midfielder, ever since joining Juve in 2006, that he in any way wanted to leave.

The economical aspect Secco is talking about is nothing but a poor excuse, getting rid of the Dane would bring more money and reduce salarycosts even further.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Ok, can you tell me how did they treat him that he wanted to leave? Buying Melo? Bringing Marchisio from loan? Injuring him all last season?

What did they do?
Jack, if i want to be stubborn, or if i'm both stubborn and stupid, no matter what you say i won't see the logic in it and i'll keep stubbornly repeating my "point".

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
sad to see hom go, if he wanted to leave its all good though, he wasnt getting younger and injuries hurt him. its better to cash in now rather then never.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
Secco reveals Zanetti truth Tuesday 11 August, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sporting director Alessio Secco has defended Juventus’ decision to sell Cristiano Zanetti. “It was a necessity,” he claimed.

The 32-year-old was sold to Fiorentina yesterday for just £1.5m in a move which has left many fans scratching their heads.

But Secco, not immune to questionable decision-making on the transfer market, insists it was a good deal given the numerous factors behind it.

“We need to look at this by taking into account everything that Juventus have done on the market this summer,” Secco told Tuttosport.

“Juve have perhaps worked harder than any other club in Italy, and like few others in Europe, at bringing new players in,” he said.

“At that point there was a need to release a midfielder and when the opportunity to sell Zanetti arrived we took it.

“It was also our last chance to make some money from his sale as he would have been available on a free next summer.

“We had to do something economically as a sale also means one less salary to pay.”

Zanetti signed a three-year deal with the Viola yesterday, terms which he had unsuccessfully asked Juventus for.

“We couldn’t give him a new contract like that,” Secco revealed. “We invested a lot of money on Felipe Melo in that role and, given his age, he is the future.

“We also have Claudio Marchisio. It is significant that on the day that we sold Zanetti, Marchisio experienced his first day with the national side. We believe a lot in him.”

The Bianconeri official also underlined the point that Zanetti’s personal wishes were an important factor in his switch south.

“He asked us to be sold,” added Secco. “And we don’t keep any players who are not 100 per cent sure that they want to stay.”

Following Zanetti’s departure, Christian Poulsen will now stay at the club after refusing a number of clubs this summer.

Source: Football Italia
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know why anyone didn't post this article.

For me Zanettis sale came as a mutual agreement betwen club and player. Plus no matter how I like the player and I'm sad that we sold him, from financial aspect we made a good job. And I don't see why anyone would say that we had bad mercato. I think that we had great mercato, if only we bough fullback it would been perfect mercato.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

For me Zanettis sale came as a mutual agreement betwen club and player. Plus no matter how I like the player and I'm sad that we sold him, from financial aspect we made a good job. And I don't see why anyone would say that we had bad mercato. I think that we had great mercato, if only we bough fullback it would been perfect mercato.

When you say mutual agreement, does it have respect? Or mutual agreements are usually bad treatment of one side to the other?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
I just can't believe we're not going to fix the most problematic positions for us throughout the past year: the fullback positions.

If we do not, and we're stuck once again with Grygera and Molinaro, then I cannot say that this has been a great mercato. It would have nothing to do with Zanetti.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I just can't believe we're not going to fix the most problematic positions for us throughout the past year: the fullback positions.

If we do not, and we're stuck once again with Grygera and Molinaro, then I cannot say that this has been a great mercato. It would have nothing to do with Zanetti.
:agree:
Tottaly agree, everything would be perfect if we only bought at least one fullback.

When you say mutual agreement, does it have respect? Or mutual agreements are usually bad treatment of one side to the other?

I don't really see why you asked me this question?

But "mutual agreement" IMO means respect, deal that is good and fair for both sides, ofcourse not everyone think like this, but that my opinion on "mutual agreement".

About Zanetti's case now, for it seems like I've said before club and Zanetti decided they need to move on, we brought Melo and expect him to start in front Zanetti who is already 32 and injury prone, while Zanetti I think wanted to play and when Fiorentina came up with offer he ofcourse accepted. He will probably be a starter for them and will play in CL, and since he is no youth anymore he accepted pay-cut in order to get longer contract. I'm sure that Viola wouldn't offered him three year deal with wages he had at Juve, or Viola wouldn't sign him at all.

Our managment also made a logical decision, they saw Zanetti as 32 year old, injury prone player in his last year of contract and something needed to be done.

I repear I really like Zanetti but we just can't keep every player we like at our club, and like someone said it before if we keep every player than we will end ep like Milan.

Thank you Zanetti for everything you've done, all the best in Viola shirt!!!

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
Oh, and I wasn't dissing Birindelli; I was merely stating that he was the weakest link in our team at that time, and an average player. That is my opinion, and I stand by it.
Look, there are just some household names that you as a Juve fanatic do not diss, no matter their quality on the field (in this particular case, there isn't even any grounds for calling Birindelli mediocre). If you do so, you can count on being jumped by a sentimental mofo like myself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)