Cristiano Ronaldo (69 Viewers)

May 25, 2019
Striking a voley is harder than double-pump dunk? Most people dont even try because they dont have physical predispositions to succeed in game of basketball. Skill alone wont get you far. While there are plenty of skilled but relatively physically weak football players plying their trade in top clubs. Our own club has a few.. ahm Pjanic ;)
Height is a big advantage in basketball, swimming and other sports. Now let me ask you is it easier to meg someone that's 5'10" tall or someone that's 7' tall? Is it easier to be a 6'6" running back in American football or sub 6'? 6'6" offensive lineman or 5'10"? Each sport has its physical requirements to succeed (and sometimes within indvidual positions in sports) generally speaking. In football, other than in goal and in set pieces, size isn't as big of an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, not many facets there. If in addition these guys can slam dunk, score 3 pointers, dribble and move graciously around the court, run tirelessly 35-38 minutes, then yes I agree. Basketball is as much of game of skill as is physical.
So I'll start this by saying that I watched a ton of basketball from probably the late 80's to the turn of the century so things likely have changed since. Since MJ is brought up so much, can someone tell me how skilled Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, Shawn Bradley and Manute Bol were? Were any of them guys that fit your criteria or just fit big bodies? Guards generally are the most skillful players and they used to run from Mugsy Bogues 5'3"-6'8" or so but most commonly 6'3"-6'6". Point guards used to be common to be in the 5'10"-6'3" range. My point is that in football you have to be able to dribble, pass and shoot with both feet, use your head and every part of your body (outside of the twig and berries) other than your arms and hands to score, trap, volley, etc. In basketball, if you are 6'10" and up you could get away without being a good dribbler, outside shooter and play the full game. What position is the low skill equivalent in football?

Last edited:

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Height is a big advantage in basketball, swimming and other sports. Now let me ask you is it easier to meg someone that's 5'10" tall or someone that's 7' tall? Is it easier to be a 6'6" running back in American football or sub 6'? 6'6" offensive lineman or 5'10"? Each sport has its physical requirements to succeed (and sometimes within indvidual positions in sports) generally speaking. In football, other than in goal and in set pieces, size isn't as big of an issue.

- - - Updated - - -

So I'll start this by saying that I watched a ton of basketball from probably the late 80's to the turn of the century so things likely have changed since. Since MJ is brought up so much, can someone tell me how skilled Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, Shawn Bradley and Manute Bol were? Were any of them guys that fit your criteria or just fit big bodies? Guards generally are the most skillful players and they used to run from Mugsy Bogues 5'3"-6'8" or so but most commonly 6'3"-6'6". Point guards used to be common to be in the 5'10"-6'3" range. My point is that in football you have to be able to dribble, pass and shoot with both feet, use your head and every part of your body (outside of the twig and berries) other than your arms and hands to score, trap, volley, etc. In basketball, if you are 6'10" and up you could get away without being a good dribbler, outside shooter and play the full game. What position is the low skill equivalent in football?
You are cherry picking. No, you dont need to be able to dribble and shoot to suceed in football or to be an all round player or to use both feet. I dont expect either of that from defenders for instance. There are also plenty of forwards that are teribbe with ball at their feet but excelled at football because they have few traits important for the role, Inzaghi for instance, etc. If you are bringing up Longley as less skilled basketball player, football being sport with more specilalists on the field has infinitely more players that lack either technical of physical abilities but regardless they found place among top clubs. Can you tell me that Matuidi is excellent dribbler, can shoot with his right foot, is Chiellini a great passer and so on. Can u imagine top basketball player making 9/10 wrong decisions every game and still getting selected, like Berna, etc? But the point is these guys, except Berna, are good at their positions because they specialized in areas required for them to succeed and they dont need any of that. Ive watched tons of basketball in 90s, less in recent years and its not comparable, the overall requirement for NBA athlete and football player.

Last edited:

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
There is just too much wrong with this, I don't know if I should even respond.

About Ronaldo and Mandzu, I was just giving you an example but if you insist then how about Cavani or Tevez? Before you start writing what they all lack compared to CR, I was just asking a simple question, is there room for Ronaldo year in year out on a hypothetical all Defensive team? 1st? 2nd? 3rd? 4th? 19th? In the end, he's still GOAT (or one of them, whatever) of football, but stuff like that does matter when you want to put him above athletes of other sports
No, there's no room for anyone who scores 50 in a season as far it comes to your so called hypothetical defensive team of the year, even it's that 19th. I don't know how hard it is to understand really, since we're talking about football and it should be the game we know, instead of asking the questions how it works.

Getting back to Mandzu, Tevez or Cavani; for example Mandzu averaged 57mins per game here in Juventus and that means it's still far away from full 90mins to do all the coverage on the field. Basically he played 2/3 of the game and that's what he managed to do, nothing less or more.

It's up to you, do you want CR fresh on the next CL game or do you want him tracking back against SPAL, when there's already players who are doing that. CR does come down to defend all the corners and doing pretty good job there and we could go ahead and speculate how many players other team needs to leave down there if CR stays up there, so he kind of makes them to have less people attacking, which could be considered somewhat some sort of defending.

sgjuveboy

Oct 31, 2012
Ronaldo has the right to stay upfront and not track back if he wants to. His number speaks for themselves.

Ronaldo will score 1 in every 2 chances on average in his career.

Llorente will score -1 in every 2 chances in his career. The negative is due to him losing the ball and opponent creating a counter attack resulting in goal against us. And he was allowed to stay upfront all his life.

tassard

Jul 30, 2004
Having a Europa League level squad just to keep Ronaldo in the team is absurd.

The last 2 years were the most uninteresting squad wise since the Del Neri days.
Ronaldo is great but he is not getting any younger.It becomes boring to have him in the squad and be accompanied by Khediras, Maduidis and De Sciglios, just to have acces in his millions of Insta fanboys.

SELL

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Having a Europa League level squad just to keep Ronaldo in the team is absurd.

The last 2 years were the most uninteresting squad wise since the Del Neri days.
Ronaldo is great but he is not getting any younger.It becomes boring to have him in the squad and be accompanied by Khediras, Maduidis and De Sciglios, just to have acces in his millions of Insta fanboys.

SELL
You think we dont have better squad because of Ronaldo? I feel you missed the thread...

Oct 23, 2011
Ignoring other factors, just the presence of Ronaldo puts us in the "CL contender" conversation. Without him we'd drop at least a level or two. We'd be incredibly stupid to sell him and not capitalize on the opportunity we have this summer to strengthen our midfield and hopefully push for the CL next year.

tassard

Jul 30, 2004
Ignoring other factors, just the presence of Ronaldo puts us in the "CL contender" conversation. Without him we'd drop at least a level or two. We'd be incredibly stupid to sell him and not capitalize on the opportunity we have this summer to strengthen our midfield and hopefully push for the CL next year.

Ronaldo alone puts us in the "Cl contender" conversation only if the conversation is held by ignorants or fanboys(in most of the cases it's actually both).

Put Khedira, Berna, Matuidi,De Sciglio, an aging Chiello, an uninterested Alex Sandro behind him and see if he can win the CL alone.

I don't care if he is the second coming of Pele or whatever, just send him to Paris to break records and bang goals against French teams, and let's focus in rebuilding our team.

Oct 23, 2011
Ronaldo alone puts us in the "Cl contender" conversation only if the conversation is held by ignorants or fanboys(in most of the cases it's actually both).

Put Khedira, Berna, Matuidi,De Sciglio, an aging Chiello, an uninterested Alex Sandro behind him and see if he can win the CL alone.

I don't care if he is the second coming of Pele or whatever, just send him to Paris to break records and bang goals against French teams, and let's focus in rebuilding our team.
Sorry to break it to you, but there will be no rebuilding this summer. As always, we will find our opportunities on the market and go for them. Get a quality midfielder (maybe 2 if Pjanic leaves), and a back-up striker and this team has the potential to win the CL. Worse teams won the competition over the years. Sell Ronaldo and we won't start spending left and right all of a sudden and we will only weaken the squad as there is no direct replacement for him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 45)