Cristiano Ronaldo (84 Viewers)

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Unless Ronaldo is convicted, the overwhelming majority of the public opinion will be on Ronaldo's side. I expect very little sympathy for Mayorga.

Her problem is the NDA imo. It looks bad for Ronaldo, but it looks bad for her too. Clearly she didn't care about this guy getting punished for his supposed crime. Instead, she was quick to cash in. That doesn't just make her story weaker (you'd guess most victims of crimes would prefer criminal prosecution), it also means that if it is true she agreed to let a sexual predator off the hook for money. Her post factum prostitution could even be seen as endangering future potential victims.

She doesn't have the sympathy vote in all of this.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
I do agree with that. I'm just expecting a large number of people to rant on about this forever, regardless of the outcome. There's no doubt that his image has been damaged somewhat, and that it will never be exactly the same as before. But to use your phrase, "the overwhelming majority" - yes, I do agree - they will be on Ronaldo's side after this if there is no verdict against him in a criminal or civil trial (which there really shouldn't be based on what has been presented so far). I probably expect more sympathy for her than you do in the aftermath of the "case" (as the stupidity of some people are beyond belief), but I can also definitely see one hell of a backlash hitting Mayorga after all is said and done.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
This is terrible for Ronaldo & the Club. I see the chances of him surviving this as very slim.

Its not a question of whether there is enough evidence that meets the standards of a criminal case in the US. Its almost impossible to have evidence from a night that happened a decade ago and to pass the high standard that would get him to go to prison even if he did do it. Ronaldo is probably not going to prison.

The real question is, is there enough evidence to make a compelling claim that the rape likely happened in the court of public opinion?

An extreme example would have been bill cosby when so many women came out against him. That was enough to get public opinion to believe he did those things and that was before actual evidence and any court hearings happened. Cosby is an extreme case (because of the sheer number of women coming forward) but if these docs are legit, or people widely believe them to be legit, that will be enough for Nike & other sponsors to pull out of the sponsorship deal to protect their own image. I imagine Juve would follow suit. All it takes is for one big sponsor to pull out > the rest will follow > Ronaldo will be finished, regardless of whether the evidence is enough for a court case or not.

Think the case of Bret Kavanaugh. He got the job because of Trump/Republicans powering through despite public opinion and the allegations. They were ready to take the backlash for it in exchange of having a new supreme court judge assigned. Nike and corporate sponsors are unlikely to do something similar. These are companies with a progressive image to maintain.
Lol didnt read

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
This is terrible for Ronaldo & the Club. I see the chances of him surviving this as very slim.

Its not a question of whether there is enough evidence that meets the standards of a criminal case in the US. Its almost impossible to have evidence from a night that happened a decade ago and to pass the high standard that would get him to go to prison even if he did do it. Ronaldo is probably not going to prison.

The real question is, is there enough evidence to make a compelling claim that the rape likely happened in the court of public opinion?

An extreme example would have been bill cosby when so many women came out against him. That was enough to get public opinion to believe he did those things and that was before actual evidence and any court hearings happened. Cosby is an extreme case (because of the sheer number of women coming forward) but if these docs are legit, or people widely believe them to be legit, that will be enough for Nike & other sponsors to pull out of the sponsorship deal to protect their own image. I imagine Juve would follow suit. All it takes is for one big sponsor to pull out > the rest will follow > Ronaldo will be finished, regardless of whether the evidence is enough for a court case or not.

Think the case of Bret Kavanaugh. He got the job because of Trump/Republicans powering through despite public opinion and the allegations. They were ready to take the backlash for it in exchange of having a new supreme court judge assigned. Nike and corporate sponsors are unlikely to do something similar. These are companies with a progressive image to maintain.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2018
For the ones that are worried about the damage in the image of CR7 and Juventus, when he comes out of this innocent, the damage will go.

Think of how the reputation of Kobe Bryant and Los Angeles Lakers was cleared for example.

The ones who hated the player or your team before will continue to do so, but that´s it.

Being the victim of an extortion doesn´t cast a permanent bad light on you.

Having said that, it is truth that while the process is on going, a great amount of stress is put on the player and his affiliates.

But it will pass, you just have to keep it strong. He will surely do.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
For the ones that are worried about the damage in the image of CR7 and Juventus, when he comes out of this innocent, the damage will go.

Think of how the reputation of Kobe Bryant and Los Angeles Lakers was cleared for example.

The ones who hated the player or your team before will continue to do so, but that´s it.

Being the victim of an extortion doesn´t cast a permanent bad light on you.

Having said that, it is truth that while the process is on going, a great amount of stress is put on the player and his affiliates.

But it will pass, you just have to keep it strong. He will surely do.
Benzema had sex with an underage prostitute and was involved in blackmailing his teammate. It had no impact on his club career.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 64)