Cristiano Ronaldo (139 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
One English guy from my work speaks Japanese. He learned it when he had a jap GF around 20 years ago. He's the only one english person that I've met who can speak another language.
It's that forced environment that tends to be the exception. My workmate knew German for a time as his girlfriend was and they didn't speak a word of each other's language. When I was in sixth form my Spanish (Galician) was better than now as my girlfriend was from A Coruña (plus Italian similarities).

Ultimately you only properly learn when being forced to speak during immersion, whether that is in the country itself, with native speakers, or by creating that environment around you.

May 25, 2019
Yeah, both those countries are pretty isolationist. Until recently you could live your entire life in the US without coming into contact with someone who speaks another language.
Being born and raised in Hawaii there are Illocano, Tagalog and Marshallese speakers as well as Tongan and Spanish speakers. In recent years there have been far more Olelo Hawai'i speakers as well. I would say that it depends more on the part of the US that you are from as to whether you have been exposed to other languages or not.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Being born and raised in Hawaii there are Illocano, Tagalog and Marshallese speakers as well as Tongan and Spanish speakers. In recent years there have been far more Olelo Hawai'i speakers as well. I would say that it depends more on the part of the US that you are from as to whether you have been exposed to other languages or not.
In southern central US and Miami people speak more Spanish than they do English

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 112)