Crisis in 98/99! (1 Viewer)

Hasuni Boi

Sep 19, 2003
I'm sitting her thinking what Juve should do for next season, and it came to my mind. During the 98/99 year we had the worst crisis that Juve have had since i became a fan. That year everything went up our arses. That year the crisis must have been worse then this year. But what did we do during the summer that year. We changed coach, actually we changed him before the summer but anyway. We bought some player's, nothing major though. What i recall Kovacevic was bought that year, and he was the biggest signing. That was about it, and the year after we were up there with the big boys again. We almost won the title wothout changes. One should keep in mind though that we had nothing to get out in Europe. So what do you think, is this a similar situation or do we need major changes this year..?

Buy on AliExpress.com

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I'm not convinced that this exact team with NO changes couldn't come back next year and accomplish much more than this year.

But to do so would to go stagnant and to sacrifice the future ... and progress. There are also definite areas that could use the help -- calling things "an off year" isn't proactive enough. The January transfer window proved to be a major missed opportunity here.

So I think changes must be underfoot, but nothing radical. A tweak here, a key trade there, and an acquisition here and there. While I don't want to invite complacency with this season, doing too much can be as bad as doing too little. At the core, this is still among the highest quality teams out there.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
I'm not convinced that this exact team with NO changes couldn't come back next year and accomplish much more than this year.

But to do so would to go stagnant and to sacrifice the future ... and progress. There are also definite areas that could use the help -- calling things "an off year" isn't proactive enough. The January transfer window proved to be a major missed opportunity here.

So I think changes must be underfoot, but nothing radical. A tweak here, a key trade there, and an acquisition here and there. While I don't want to invite complacency with this season, doing too much can be as bad as doing too little. At the core, this is still among the highest quality teams out there.

yes,yes,yes, YES........100 % RIGHT

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++
yes but in 98/99 montero and iuliano were not 30+
that goes for Birindelli, and Pessotto too..

++ [ originally posted by Hasuni Boi ] ++
I'm sitting her thinking what Juve should do for next season, and it came to my mind. During the 98/99 year we had the worst crisis that Juve have had since i became a fan. That year everything went up our arses. That year the crisis must have been worse then this year. But what did we do during the summer that year. We changed coach, actually we changed him before the summer but anyway. We bought some player's, nothing major though. What i recall Kovacevic was bought that year, and he was the biggest signing. That was about it, and the year after we were up there with the big boys again. We almost won the title wothout changes. One should keep in mind though that we had nothing to get out in Europe. So what do you think, is this a similar situation or do we need major changes this year..?
The summer of 99 Juve actually did make some major changes, but most of these changes were because of bad form and not because of old age.

For the attack and wings, we did buy Kova and Zambrotta :thumb:. good buys at the time as Juve lacked much firepower upfront. We played many games with Inzaghi as the lone striker that year because Fonseca, Amoruso and Esnaider sucked and Del Piero was injured.

For Midfield, Juve sold Deschamps (i thought they sold him cuz he was getting old :confused: ) and bought Oliseh, Maresca and Bachini.

Juve also replaced Peruzzi with Van Der Sar who wasn't too much younger and we sold Henry because they weren't patient enough to wait for him to bloom. These latter mentioned moves suggest that Juve might have paniced. These moves are obvioiusly short term moves to see immediate results next season (99/00). ..... 2 bad moves IMO

Anyhow, all this is because Juve really sucked in serie A. (strangely the team didn't do too badly in the CL as we reached the CL Q-Finals only to lose to ManU at home. )

besides selling Henry and buying a not much younger VDS, the moves were pretty good to get new blood into the team and try out other players who weren't as known. Juve did do well enough for a team with many new young players. The establioshed players helped the likes of Zambrotta to fit in. Too bad Lotti didn't give Maresca much of a chance and too bad Oliseh and Bachini couldn't fit in as they were promising.

Anyhow, the main difference for this season, as Don Bes implied, is that most of our players have past their primes now. This summer, making changes won't be an option like in 1999... it's a MUST for 2004!!

Back then there was a young core to stay with the new players and help them fit in. Pessotto, Ferrara, and Montero were national regulars and at their best. Birindelli, Mirkovic and Iuliano were decent subs (thought calling the latter decent is arguable :D ) as they were also at a period where they'd be considered young yet experienced. Tudor was developing under these core players and proved to be great in the next couple of seasons.

This season, most of the players who are considered the core of juve are old (They includes Thuram and Nedved), so they won't last long to help the new ones fit in. Legro can't even fit in because the defense is always shuffled around. In other words, the more we delay buying the next generation juve players, the harder the transition will be!! That's why juve must not delay any further to reshape the team. I've been calling for this for 2 years now... too Moggi doesn't agree.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++

that goes for Birindelli, and Pessotto too..
i swear i was gonna write those exact names too. but then i thought that biri and pessoto were not as important to juve as montero and iuliano.

and u are right, iuliano and decent should not be on the same sentence

Majed

Jul 17, 2002

i swear i was gonna write those exact names too. but then i thought that biri and pessoto were not as important to juve as montero and iuliano.

and u are right, iuliano and decent should not be on the same sentence
is that all you got from the whole post?! :stress:

:D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
no man. i read the whole post and i think u said it very well and it does not need any comments by me
.... I guess the Iuliano part does raise an eyebrow... oh well, i'll leave it as it is and keep the word decent. We havn't had a pure Iuliano argument here in a while :D

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
iuliano is like a less agressive less talented version of montero
you were supposed to argue that he's not "great." you didn't fall for my trap. i guess you really dont think he's worth arguing about... aight...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)