Could We Win the Scudetto? (3 Viewers)

RAMI-N

★ ★ ★
Aug 22, 2006
Nice breakdown man, but you missed a point that you are talking about players 10 years ago or so. I mean if we were for example back 96/97 one could easily say that Zidane is coming from the French league and unproven. Same for Trez with Monaco, DP with Padova....etc. By the same token you could have use this argument 10 years down the line in 2017 and say Reychavic and O'connor are coming from the Czech and Irish league but we had Almiron and Tiago back in 07. :p

Juventus creates players, not the other way around.

Forza Juve :pint:
Couldn't agree anymore...Spot on :pint:

adelove

The Very Special One
Sep 29, 2003
something 2 prove in the sense that they are'nt 30sumthing year olds who have given their best elsewhere n r here 2 pick up d paycheck while their contracts subsist..... the players we have bought r motivated 2 succeed at the club

Gill_juve

May 29, 2006
i think we are in a great place, we dont have much pressure on us and people arent expecting too much so we will be dangerous as other teams will see that.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Nice breakdown man, but you missed a point that you are talking about players 10 years ago or so. I mean if we were for example back 96/97 one could easily say that Zidane is coming from the French league and unproven. Same for Trez with Monaco, DP with Padova....etc. By the same token you could have use this argument 10 years down the line in 2017 and say Reychavic and O'connor are coming from the Czech and Irish league but we had Almiron and Tiago back in 07. :p

Juventus creates players, not the other way around.

Forza Juve :pint:
That tired old line has been used here quite too often and seems to get a standing ovation for no reason whatsoever. Every club makes good players into great players even Inter that tend to buy all the time, they made javier zanetti great. Same token we have bought dogs that remained dogs. Trez was not unknown at Monaco, he was already a world cup winner and scored the golden goal that broke Italian hearts in 2000. Dp had such massive potential, it is almost impossible that he would not have fulifilled it anywhere. He is not like so many overrated players like Cassano and Miccoli eg who are nowhere as good as their reputation. How do you know that Dp would not have been better elsewhere with his potential? Do you think he would not have thrived in Spain with the ability he had? Zidane was an up and coming star at Bordeaux, scored 2 wonderful goals on his debut for France and would have been a world beater no matter where he played as he is that good.
Almiron and Tiago with all due respect are not anywhere in that calibre and I will stick my neck out and say they nevwer will achieve the same level of greatness

Knightz

Unstoppable
Apr 14, 2007
Inter, milan and Roma have got a great midfield.

I'm not big name signing freak, football isn't about names its about skills, performances and teamwork.

All of which are variables that can change in different circumstances.

Who was Del Piero before he came to Juventus? Who was Camo and Zambrotta? Or Trezeguet? or even Zidane for that matter.
100% agree, who was Drogba before he went to Chelsea? Who was Deco before he joined Porto? etc, etc.

OP
Rami

Rami

The Linuxologist
Dec 24, 2004
  • Thread Starter #107
    That tired old line has been used here quite too often and seems to get a standing ovation for no reason whatsoever. Every club makes good players into great players even Inter that tend to buy all the time, they made javier zanetti great. Same token we have bought dogs that remained dogs. Trez was not unknown at Monaco, he was already a world cup winner and scored the golden goal that broke Italian hearts in 2000. Dp had such massive potential, it is almost impossible that he would not have fulifilled it anywhere. He is not like so many overrated players like Cassano and Miccoli eg who are nowhere as good as their reputation. How do you know that Dp would not have been better elsewhere with his potential? Do you think he would not have thrived in Spain with the ability he had? Zidane was an up and coming star at Bordeaux, scored 2 wonderful goals on his debut for France and would have been a world beater no matter where he played as he is that good.
    Almiron and Tiago with all due respect are not anywhere in that calibre and I will stick my neck out and say they nevwer will achieve the same level of greatness
    You seem like a guy that only believes in raw talent, and nothing else. You see my friend, I am different, whilst raw talent is absolutely important, every club has a different culture, mentality, discipline, workrate...etc. And to me that has great influence on any player. Juventus is known to be one of the most disciplined teams in Italy, they have a winning mentality, just like (I don't remember who) said that Juve has winning written in it's DNA. I think this is the exact area we don't see eye to eye...correct me if I am wrong.

OP
    Rami

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
  • Thread Starter #108
    100% agree, who was Drogba before he went to Chelsea? Who was Deco before he joined Porto? etc, etc.
    Nothing really, one led his team to win the CL, and the other was top scorer of the CL in previous season.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002
    You seem like a guy that only believes in raw talent, and nothing else. You see my friend, I am different, whilst raw talent is absolutely important, every club has a different culture, mentality, discipline, workrate...etc. And to me that has great influence on any player. Juventus is known to be one of the most disciplined teams in Italy, they have a winning mentality, just like (I don't remember who) said that Juve has winning written in it's DNA. I think this is the exact area we don't see eye to eye...correct me if I am wrong.
    I believe in raw talent but thats not the point here. The thread is asking can we win scudetto? I cannot see us coming close with our current squad. You are talking about having winning mentality in our DNA, well tell that to the fans who waited for 10 years which comprised of Platini's era to Lippi's for us to win the league. We arguably have the same calibre of players that we did back then with the likes of Rui barros, Galia, Alelikov etc just being the same calibre to what we do have now. A huge part fo that winning mentality was Moggi whose motto was win at all costs but he is no more around. We now seem to have a board who it seems from a distance is completely clueless. Another thing that I am unhappy about is that Ranieri spent a number of years in Spain, surely he should know enough about the better playmakers. I mean the guy worked with Aimar for crying out loud. There are so many decent defenders in Spain as well as i do not have faith in Boumsong, Leggrotaglie, Zebina and Birindelli at the highest level. The strikers in serieA are not to be sniffed at

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    I am pleading ignorance here. Where is this quality that you and some others are alluding to in our team? I don't as a rule watch Empoli and the French league is not my forte either but I cannot imagine that Almiron and Tiago have that much quality like people on here keep saying. So please educate me as to their qualities. Salihamidic is injury prone and he is just a good player , nothing more than that. I was reading that Dp was back to his best so we are definitely going to win the scudetto. I am a Dp fan but the guy played 90 minutes against Faroes Island and could not score so I will ease on the, he is back to his best bit. I have to admit the first time I saw Quaglirella, I did like him, he seemed to like us too but we did not bid for him. Are you guys seriously telling me that we can mount a serious challenge with an attack of Zalayeta, Palladino, nedved, Dp, Trez and iaquinta

Let me break it down a bit and make comparisms
    In 94/95 we had Roberto Baggio, Dp, Vialli, Ravanelli
    95/96 we had vialli, dp, ravanelli, padovano
    96/97 zidane, dp, padovano, boksic, vieri, amoruso
    97/98 zz, dp, inzaghi, fonseca, zalayeta, amoruso
    98/99 dp(injured), zz, inzaghi, fonseca, esnaider, henry, amoruso
    99/00 dp, kovacevic, inzaghi, amoruso, zz
    00/01 dp, zz, kovacevic, trez, inzaghi
    01/02 dp, trez, salas, amoruso, zalayeta, nedved
    05/06 dp, trez, zlatan, nedved, mutu, zalayeta

From what I can see out attack line is far inferior to anything we have played with in recent years. Yes seriea is not as good as it used to be but compared to Lippi, Capello and Ancelotti, Ranieri is nowhere as good. I don't know maybe there is something I am missing as i cannot see how we can mount a serious challenge with this squad but you never know.
    I don't even wanna compare past world class midfielders like Davids, Jugovic, Paolo Sousa, Deshamps, Conte, Vieira, Emerson amongst others to this lot we have now.
    I dont think Juve will win the serie a next year..but i certainly think that in terms of quality Juve's current squad + another quality centerback has enough quality to win the scudetto after they gel together of course..I dont see why players like Andrade,Chielleni and Grygera in defence arent as good as Mexes,Juan and Panucci...and why arent Tiago,Camo and Nedved as good as Vieira,Cambiasso Stankovic??Trezeguet,Iaquinta and Del Piero are better than Ronaldo,Gilardino and Olivera for me....so in terms of individual quality..i think that juve arent as far behind the top teams as you make them out to be..

I'm a fan of the French ligue 1 and i've been following it for the past 2-3 years...Tiago has been one of the top midfielders in the league..and for me..he is at least as good as Cambiasso or David Pizarro.(whom i rate by the way)

I agree with Apropos on this one...players like Tiago and possibly Almiron(admittedly i havent seen much of him) might make a name for themselves in juve..like many players before them

And again i say.. with all the new signings,i dont think the title is a realistic expectation for next season..but i think that the quality is there...and i certainly think that the 2008\2009 season is where Juve have a realistic chance of winning

OP
    Rami

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
  • Thread Starter #113
    I believe in raw talent but thats not the point here. The thread is asking can we win scudetto? I cannot see us coming close with our current squad. You are talking about having winning mentality in our DNA, well tell that to the fans who waited for 10 years which comprised of Platini's era to Lippi's for us to win the league. We arguably have the same calibre of players that we did back then with the likes of Rui barros, Galia, Alelikov etc just being the same calibre to what we do have now. A huge part fo that winning mentality was Moggi whose motto was win at all costs but he is no more around. We now seem to have a board who it seems from a distance is completely clueless. Another thing that I am unhappy about is that Ranieri spent a number of years in Spain, surely he should know enough about the better playmakers. I mean the guy worked with Aimar for crying out loud. There are so many decent defenders in Spain as well as i do not have faith in Boumsong, Leggrotaglie, Zebina and Birindelli at the highest level. The strikers in serieA are not to be sniffed at
    Having a 10 year rough patch doesn't negate the DNA theory, we already have won 20 Scudettos in the 80's which is more than any other team in Italy could claim. We might be facing another 10 year rough patch as well, who knows. All I am saying that this current squad, with an addition of solid CB, could pull it off. I am not saying that anything shy of topping the table is a disappointment, I would be very happy with a CL spot actually.

I tend to agree with you on the Moggi and his management team, not on his off field "antics", the team in 05/06 was a superior team that deserved their wins on the pitch, and not by the alleged "match-fixing". But I agree in a sense that our current management seem lost, I fear with them our fabled "Juve discipline" will be no more.

In any case, I sense that your only qualms with this current squad, is the lack of rock solid defense and a creative AM. This is the general consensus on the board. So in the upcoming month, say we get a solid CB, and a midfield magician, will that convince you we can pull it off?

Anyways, whats wrong with dreaming? isn't that the beauty of football? Throughout history 10's if not of 100's of much lesser of underdogs pulled off upsetting victories. Why is it so hard to comprehend that Juve could do it when our team isn't nearly as handicapped?

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    Having a 10 year rough patch doesn't negate the DNA theory, we already have won 20 Scudettos in the 80's which is more than any other team in Italy could claim. We might be facing another 10 year rough patch as well, who knows. All I am saying that this current squad, with an addition of solid CB, could pull it off. I am not saying that anything shy of topping the table is a disappointment, I would be very happy with a CL spot actually.

I tend to agree with you on the Moggi and his management team, not on his off field "antics", the team in 05/06 was a superior team that deserved their wins on the pitch, and not by the alleged "match-fixing". But I agree in a sense that our current management seem lost, I fear with them our fabled "Juve discipline" will be no more.

In any case, I sense that your only qualms with this current squad, is the lack of rock solid defense and a creative AM. This is the general consensus on the board. So in the upcoming month, say we get a solid CB, and a midfield magician, will that convince you we can pull it off?

Anyways, whats wrong with dreaming? isn't that the beauty of football? Throughout history 10's if not of 100's of much lesser of underdogs pulled off upsetting victories. Why is it so hard to comprehend that Juve could do it when our team isn't nearly as handicapped?
    would you say they're ready to do it as early as next season??

i think that one more quality centerback is enough..but not as early as next season..as the team still needs to gel..after so many signings

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    would you say they're ready to do it as early as next season??

i think that one more quality centerback is enough..but not as early as next season..as the team still needs to gel..after so many signings
    :agree:

Ya I have to agree here, with too many moving parts, new faces and unknown chemistry its gonna be interesting this upcoming few seasons. I don’t think we can legitimately contend for the next 1 maybe even 2 seasons in A. coaches, players and staff have all been jumbled, the only thing that will be the same returning to A from b4 will us the fans.

denco

Superior Being
    Jul 12, 2002

Yes it does negate DNA theory. You are making sound like it does not matter who we buy, we would win the scudetto. The scudetto winning sides have had fantastic individual players, got nothing to do with DNA. When we struggled in the 80s and 90s, it wa sbecause Milan and naploi had superior individuals. How do you compete with a Maradona inspired team or a Milan side with Van Basten, Gullit, Rikjard, Baresi and Donadoni to name a few. When we won it we had the incomparable Zidane, davids, boksic, vieri, jugovic, deschamps, baggio, vialli, montero, ferrara, zambrotta, sousa, vieira, Emerson, Zlatan, Mutu and the lesser lights were not bad either like Conte, Di Livio, Torricelli, Pessotto, Iuliano etc
    I do not see it in this squad at all. It is not just a matter of gelling. If you do not have the quality then it aint gonna happen. Compare what we have to the other serieA sides and you will see the gulf in class. Yes our spirit might pull through in some games but over the course of the season, aint gonna happen. Our key man is still Del Piero and thats not good enough, after him its Nedved. I do not wanna be prophet of doom but in this day and age we need more than those 2 to be key players. Not because of quality but because they are too old to carry a team. They are not too old to be effective but to carry a team you need to be younger. At this stage of their careers, they need to be icing on the cake not the main ingredient. Imagine if Ronaldo had to carry Milan, they would be in serious trouble, or Raul to carry Real Madrid, not gonna happen. But as you say its nice to dream, i just wish I could dream with better calibre of players thna we just purchased. I personally would not have minded if we stuck with the young players that got us thru in serieB with little addition. But if you are gonna dump them, at least do so with exciting players not players i regard as run of the mill

OP
    Rami

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
  • Thread Starter #119
    Yes it does negate DNA theory. You are making sound like it does not matter who we buy, we would win the scudetto. The scudetto winning sides have had fantastic individual players, got nothing to do with DNA. When we struggled in the 80s and 90s, it wa sbecause Milan and naploi had superior individuals. How do you compete with a Maradona inspired team or a Milan side with Van Basten, Gullit, Rikjard, Baresi and Donadoni to name a few. When we won it we had the incomparable Zidane, davids, boksic, vieri, jugovic, deschamps, baggio, vialli, montero, ferrara, zambrotta, sousa, vieira, Emerson, Zlatan, Mutu and the lesser lights were not bad either like Conte, Di Livio, Torricelli, Pessotto, Iuliano etc
    I do not see it in this squad at all. It is not just a matter of gelling. If you do not have the quality then it aint gonna happen. Compare what we have to the other serieA sides and you will see the gulf in class. Yes our spirit might pull through in some games but over the course of the season, aint gonna happen. Our key man is still Del Piero and thats not good enough, after him its Nedved. I do not wanna be prophet of doom but in this day and age we need more than those 2 to be key players. Not because of quality but because they are too old to carry a team. They are not too old to be effective but to carry a team you need to be younger. At this stage of their careers, they need to be icing on the cake not the main ingredient. Imagine if Ronaldo had to carry Milan, they would be in serious trouble, or Raul to carry Real Madrid, not gonna happen. But as you say its nice to dream, i just wish I could dream with better calibre of players thna we just purchased. I personally would not have minded if we stuck with the young players that got us thru in serieB with little addition. But if you are gonna dump them, at least do so with exciting players not players i regard as run of the mill
    2002/2003: A Scudetto winning squad, and a CL finalist:

GK: Buffon, nothing changed in this department.

Defence:
    Thuram or Andrade? Comparable I assume
    36 year old Ferrara/Montero or Boum/Legro? The former I would say, but not by a far stretch.
    Biri or Gryegera? I would say Grygera.
    Zambro or Chiellini? Def Zambro.

Both defences are comparable.

Midfield:
    Davids or Tiago/Marchisio? Davids. But still the current seem solid.
    Camo or Camo? :p
    Tacchi or Almiron. Don't know but comparable.
    Nedved is still there but older.

I would say the Midfield of 03, is stronger.

Attack:

Trez is Trez, I don't think age would play much of a factor here.
    Del Piero older
    Di Vaio or Iaquinta? Iaquinta
    Zala or Palladino? Def Palladino.

I would say our current is stronger.

Durden

May 11, 2006
    After securing Nedved another season I would say yes we have a chance, his presence and determination will affect the new players in a very positive way. We and Roma are the underdogs but we have a fair chance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)