Corruption, conspiracy (2 Viewers)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
It will be very difficult to bribe an Argentine to lose so that Brazil wins let alone millionaires, at a time where success in the wc means so much to the country by and large.

Lets just say its more to do with FIFA's imcompetence than any conspiracy that controversies dogged this wc more than anyother, i mean why get referees and linesmen from countries who are not popular in football.
I mean if a player from Africa, Asia, North America is good, a European team will buy him and he will improve, now which Eiropean country will hire a linesman or referee from these countries.
So you get an inexperienced referee or linesman with 60,000 Koreans shouting at him. what do you expect, of cos he will bow to pressure and make silly mistakes

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by denco ] ++
It will be very difficult to bribe an Argentine to lose so that Brazil wins let alone millionaires, at a time where success in the wc means so much to the country by and large.

Lets just say its more to do with FIFA's imcompetence than any conspiracy that controversies dogged this wc more than anyother, i mean why get referees and linesmen from countries who are not popular in football.
I mean if a player from Africa, Asia, North America is good, a European team will buy him and he will improve, now which Eiropean country will hire a linesman or referee from these countries.
So you get an inexperienced referee or linesman with 60,000 Koreans shouting at him. what do you expect, of cos he will bow to pressure and make silly mistakes
I generally agree on all points.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
World Cup corruption claims re-emerge Wednesday 21 August, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Referee Byron Moreno, who took charge of Italy-South Korea, has been accused of corruption by Japanese newspapers.

The Ecuadorian official is the subject of a dossier in Japanese weekly ‘Shukan Bunshun’, outlining unusual events following that highly controversial World Cup match.

When asked what he had done following the tournament in Japan and Korea, Moreno listed his activities.

“Nothing particularly special,” said the referee. “I took a cruise to Miami, bought a Chevrolet and paid off all my debts.”

The Oriental magazine dragged back the conspiracy theories that surrounded the Italy squad, and particularly that second round tie against hosts South Korea.

“I would not be surprised,” wrote journalist Seijun Ninomiya, “if in a few months we discovered that there was corruption in the 2002 World Cup. The same has already been proven in February's Winter Olympics.”

Those games in Salt Lake City caused a scandal when it was discovered that the ice skating competition had been rigged by French and Russian judges.

Curiously, the aggrieved party in the US games were also Italian.

However, Moreno maintains that he has nothing to hide despite the media attention he continues to attract.

“I paid for those perks with my wages from the World Cup campaign, nothing more than that.”

The 32-year-old Ecuadorian is also hitting headlines after announcing he would run for public office in the Quito council.

“I was invited to join the party by Presidential candidate Alvaro Noboa and was happy to accept, although I haven’t been interested in politics for very long.”

football italia

Jul 12, 2002
That prooves nothing. Wages from the world cup are pretty substantial for refs, even if they do not take bribes.

Jul 12, 2002
However, that doesn't mean that he wasn't paid off. I would find it hard to believe that if he was paid off, that he would be so irresponsible with such ill-gotten gains.

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
You will work it out as you love sweden but really do love U. S. A, but wait a minute its Holland you really love or could it be Juventus:D:fero:

Jul 12, 2002
Nope, your wrong on all accounts denco. Sweden holds no speciality to me, except for that I am Swedish in ethnicity. The USA is just a temporary home, I can't wait to leave actually. And Holland may be where my heart is, but it is not my true love. Juventus finally is just a team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)