Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (28 Viewers)

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
I don't doubt that. Just this part:

"Many people seem to think it’s the actions of our government that are causing the economy to slow — that’s false. It’s the virus that’s causing the economy to slow, because economies collapsed even in ancient times when plagues happened, even when there was no government saying, ‘Close the schools and close the restaurants.“
I think that he is right about this because the previous variants were dangerous enough to create havoc when the health system collapses due to the many people in critical condition.

I might be wrong though. Probably the data will be examined in the coming years and we'll see the real picture.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Unfortunately, germany hasn't gotten the memo yet.
BC seems to have gotten the memo. All the politicians and health minister and such are saying it’s becoming endemic, everyone is going to get it, omicron is less severe, but then at the very same time they were saying this, they go on to do a month long shutdown of gyms, and place more restrictions on restaurants. Lol

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
BC seems to have gotten the memo. All the politicians and health minister and such are saying it’s becoming endemic, everyone is going to get it, omicron is less severe, but then at the very same time they were saying this, they go on to do a month long shutdown of gyms, and place more restrictions on restaurants. Lol
We getting mandatory vaccination - BECAUSE. Virologists don't think it's necessary, but it's really all about forcing through their will at this point.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
We getting mandatory vaccination - BECAUSE. Virologists don't think it's necessary, but it's really all about forcing through their will at this point.
I ain't saying that's a good thing. But I am saying there's a lot of Neymar-level diving going on trying to compare vaccine mandates to living under Stalin or Hitler.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
I ain't saying that's a good thing. But I am saying there's a lot of Neymar-level diving going on trying to compare vaccine mandates to living under Stalin or Hitler.
If we were talking a virus I'd get my vaccine for and I am protected for life, it would be entirely different.

Corona though is going nowhere and omikron is harmless. Show me the need for mandatory vaccination at this point in the pandemic. Soon every person will have immunity, either through the vaccine or through infection.

I'd have understood mandatory vaccination at the beginning of the pandemic, or as soon as vaccines became available - but not now. Not anymore.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
If we were talking a virus I'd get my vaccine for and I am protected for life, it would be entirely different.

Corona though is going nowhere and omikron is harmless. Show me the need for mandatory vaccination at this point in the pandemic. Soon every person will have immunity, either through the vaccine or through infection.

I'd have understood mandatory vaccination at the beginning of the pandemic, or as soon as vaccines became available - but not now. Not anymore.
I don't see what's different though. We have tons of evidence showing vaccination keeps people out of hospitals, as designed. And hospitals are still getting hit hard with unvaccinated and Omicron.

With so much infection out there, mutation is undoubtedly continuing. It's a crapshoot whether this is a "last wave" as you're presuming or -- just as Delta mutated from weaker and less contagious strains before it ripped through millions -- the fat lady hasn't sung on this yet. We've lost count of how many times we've had "freedom day" celebrated only to be followed by restrictions, or have you already forgotten? And if a new variant crap hits the fan, the time to change our minds about mandatory vaccinations isn't when we're in the middle of it... that's too late. Welcome to preventative medicine.

You could say let's fook over all immunocompromised people and practice eugenics, but then why haven't we done that for MMR vaccines? It's not an accident. Let's not pretend that mandatory vaccinations are unprecedented.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
Vaccines don't protect vs infections (or spread and potential mutations) especially in the long run. Most antibodies are gone within 6 months. They protect vs severe cases and deaths. Your whole argument that mandatory vaccinations will stop mutations is based on air.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Vaccines don't protect vs infections (or spread and potential mutations) especially in the long run. Most antibodies are gone within 6 months. They protect vs severe cases and deaths. Your whole argument that mandatory vaccinations will stop mutations is based on air.
They are never designed to prevent infections. Even the idea that somehow virus DNA strands could get in your nose and be killed and ejected on contact is laughable.

You don't need the vaccination to stop mutations, though it doesn't hurt. You need them to keep unvaccinated people from bending over for the next mutation wave and filling your hospitals.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
They are never designed to prevent infections. Even the idea that somehow virus DNA strands could get in your nose and be killed and ejected on contact is laughable.

You don't need the vaccination to stop mutations, though it doesn't hurt. You need them to keep unvaccinated people from bending over for the next mutation wave and filling your hospitals.
But Omikron is gonna do just that.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014

We'll see. You are assuming worst case scenario and so far Omicron is proving not to be worst case scenario. Where I live the vaccination rate is only 27%, infection rates are record high but hospitalizations are steady, ICU admissions are going down. It looks more like best case scenario so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Also another thing about this BS with "another mutation like Delta"

The only mutations that can be widespread are through the Omicron strain because Omicron is outcompeting all the other strains. And the most important trait for the new mutation will be to be more infectious than the previous. Those mutations are happening and the new strain is not more severe and is wide spread in Denmark where most of the Covid restrictions will be abolished on February 1.

It's impossible a mutation from the previous strains to outcompete Omicron. And Omicron is a far less severe disease to begin with. So the new mutations will only make the virus more infectious but most likely will keep him mild.

This mandatory vaccination BS needs to be reevaluated.

Last edited:

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
We'll see. You are assuming worst case scenario and so far Omicron is proving not to be worst case scenario. Where I live the vaccination rate is only 27%, infection rates are record high but hospitalizations are steady, ICU admissions are going down. It looks more like best case scenario so far.
Am I assuming worst case scenario? If the last two years are any guide, you'd think I was targeting middle-of-the-road.

Also another thing about this BS with "another mutation like Delta"

The only mutations that can be widespread are through the Omicron strain because Omicron is outcompeting all the other strains. And the most important trait for the new mutation will be to be more infectious than the previous. Those mutations are happening and the new strain is not more severe and is wide spread in Denmark where most of the Covid restrictions will be abolished on February 1.

It's impossible a mutation from the previous strains to outcompete Omicron. And Omicron is a far less severe disease to begin with. So the new mutations will only make the virus more infectious but most likely will keep him mild.

This mandatory vaccination BS needs to be reevaluated.
What you're suggesting here is that virus mutations come to a halt when a strain reaches endemic levels, because no new mutation can "outcompete" Omicron in propagation. That is not the only medical opinion out there.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
What you're suggesting here is that virus mutations come to a halt when a strain reaches endemic levels, because no new mutation can "outcompete" Omicron in propagation. That is not the only medical opinion out there.
Are you afraid of the mutations in the four known coronaviruses of the common Cold?

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
How deadly is omikron compared to the yearly/common flu?
It's hard to tell how deadly is the Omicron.

1. I can't find an examination of the clinical path of Omicron cases from infection to death. For example - for Delta the path is infection, clinical features like cough, fever, anosmia, chest pain, tiredness and then as the severity progresses - need of oxygen and ventilation. After that organ failure and death.

There is not a single example of this path for Omicron or at least I can't find one

2. As Tim Spector points out in England deaths are counted in a way where it is impossible to determine if people are dying from and not with Covid at the moment.

3. The easing of ICU strongly suggests that Omicron might be very mild.

4. The UK, Ireland and Denmark already dismissed the green pass and other restrictions accepting that Covid is in an endemic phase. Which is a major sign that Omicron is mild.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)