Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (47 Viewers)

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Ooops. For a moment there I forgot about how every home in Bolivia hosts a cloud data center and bgp backbone...

Yeah, I saw that. Major bummer. But don't feel singled out. The UK banned flights from Portugal too on the basis that we're kinda like Brazil. Or maybe it's because Pepe and Deco on the Portuguese NT used to be Brazilians. :pado:
Yeah I know... It's just extra frustrating because I went through the whole ordeal of getting a visa (one of the perks of being Bolivian) which took a long time and then this happens. I hope it doesn't last more than a month because the time on my visa is running out. I planned on spending 6 months there but now it's looking more like 4, if not less.

PS: We still got cheap internet cafes here. I guess that's where people with no access to PCs or the internet go. The private sector performing the role of the government :baus:

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:
OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9,462
    I don't pay 50 percent for healthcare alone.

I'm pretty sure you pay more for your healthcare than me by the way.

It's as if Americans seem to believe that, besides evidence to the contrary for as long as humans have walked the Earth, they will always be healthy and then suddenly die.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
    We probably do pay more. But I don't buy the premise that if we implement a goverment-based universal healthcare system that those costs will suddenly go down. Economics shows the costs will only go up. We're also a pretty unhealthy nation as well, so we have lots of problems that aren't easily solved.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    Glad to see the lockdown myth is being busted.

While it may be that lockdowns aren’t necessary, and aside from the very first one I don’t think there should have been any more, that study is junk, and compares South Korea, which is basically an island with no neighbours (only shared land border is a DMZ lol), and has a vastly different culture where mask wearing and social distancing is considered perfectly normal.

And Sweden, which is a tiny Scandinavian country with only 10 mil people. And a country with a far more socially responsible populace than say Murica

I’d rather compare Sweden to its neighbours Denmark and Norway. And it’s done far far worse than they have, to the point they have instituted much stricter measures in these new surges.

Anyways, if people in the US, UK, Canada, and other western nations weren’t total retards about masks and social distancing, we wouldn’t be stuck going into lockdown measures repeatedly.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
    Jan 17, 2011
    What are the chances the UK will ban flights from the US in the next 20 days? I'm seriously considering spending 10 days in the US just to get around the South America travel ban.

I can't be that unlucky right... Right???

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    What are the chances the UK will ban flights from the US in the next 20 days? I'm seriously considering spending 10 days in the US just to get around the South America travel ban.

I can't be that unlucky right... Right???
    I doubt they will, as it’s too obvious that they should

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
    Jan 17, 2011
    Yeah, I was aware of most of the things mentioned in the article.

I understand that the SA ban will be in place at least until mid February but they could easily extend that for another month, if not longer. And that kind of sucks because I can only stay in the UK until the 21st of June.

It's a hard decision between waiting for them to lift the ban in (hopefully) a month or trying to get around it by getting out of SA for 10 days and flying to the UK from the US, which is risky too.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Glad to see the lockdown myth is being busted.

It's not about the lockdown though. It's a reflection of the locked down. Some places/cultures have fared quite well with them at certain critical moments. In theory, they all should work if people reduce their circulating exposure. Why they don't work is often a measure of compliance. And that's the tricky part.

That's not so much the lockdown as the people in it. Just like a fiat currency has no value except for the people who believe it has value.

So you can say that many cultures are a complete fail at lockdowns as a measure of effectiveness. But if your culture fails at it where others have succeeded, you really do need some alternative measures unless you want to break the back of your healthcare system and increase the fatality rate of every nose-blow and fall down the stairs.

The US under Trump has followed the typical American model: don't tell me to exercise or eat healthier to fix my obesity, give me a pill. Vaccines and vaccines alone. Except vaccines alone is a vulnerable strategy too. You need more tools in your arsenal, like effective testing and tracing programs. And you also need a public that actually follows some public health guidelines.

Yeah, yeah, here comes the government overreach parade ... telling us we have to wash our hands and wear masks because that's the gateway to The Great Reset and George Soros implanting chips to control our brains. But if you crap in your gutter and never wash your hands, nobody and no government is going to save you or your neighbors. And if you claim the government has no right to tell you what to do, you may as well store explosives in your basement and screw your neighbors. Because voluntary compliance hoping people do the right thing results in the Capitol being stormed.

Even mask stuff is funny. Now out of nowhere we see Germany asking to wear specific masks and those cheaper ones don't count now.
    The market is flooded with bogus masks though. Wearing a flimsy mask made by an opportunist just plays into the narrative that masks don't work.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2021/01/why-arent-we-wearing-better-masks/617656/

JuveJay

Senior Signor
    Mar 6, 2007
    Yeah, I was aware of most of the things mentioned in the article.

I understand that the SA ban will be in place at least until mid February but they could easily extend that for another month, if not longer. And that kind of sucks because I can only stay in the UK until the 21st of June.

It's a hard decision between waiting for them to lift the ban in (hopefully) a month or trying to get around it by getting out of SA for 10 days and flying to the UK from the US, which is risky too.
    Is it worth your while looking at replacing your visa with a BRP?

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
    Apr 12, 2009
    In the time span of 18 days our current crop of politicians went from ''UKovid won't spread in our country'' to ''5-10% of our current infections are UKovid'' to ''We need an evening curfew to stop the potential spread of UKovid''. I can't even keep up with it anymore.

Lockdowns and curfews are being implemented like it's nothing anymore. It makes sense for a national lockdown to stop the actual spread once the numbers are high, but right now over here it's being used as a preventive measure.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 32)