Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (43 Viewers)

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Is it now definitively known for how long the virus survives outside the body aka on a surface?
If anyone else is wondering (scusi if old news), survives on cardboard for up to 24 hours. Up to 3 days on hard surfaces like glass (and I assume plastic and metal too?).

Wear your winter gloves and getting some disposable ones not a bad idea. More important than disposable masks, having which is irresponsible too.

Vinegar, alcohol, and bleach kill it. Not sure why there's a bleach shortage, most offending of the three. Any alcohol solution like sanitizer needs to be at least 60% ethanol or 70% isopropyl alcohol.

What's the latest on theory that it'll die down in warmer weather?

- - - Updated - - -

Beginning to think theres some validity to the idea that the virus doesn't thrive as well in places with higher temperatures
Any details?

- - - Updated - - -

Not at all, I hate them for this

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. The Chinese are so fucked up in what they eat, they really asked for this themselves and now we have to deal with it as well because they have to eat weird shit from obscure markets without any food control.
Also blame the powers that be for not listening to Bill gates all these years.

Last edited:

kappa96

Jun 20, 2018
I'd be interested in actual numbers. Like how many percent do actually buy from those markets?

I'd assume many chinese people are just as disgusted form those markets as we are. Ultimately it's up to the government to take care of the wet markets though. How many viruses does it take for them to close them once and for all?
Some report from vox that one tuzzer posted said that mostly rich people afford to buy those kind of animals and that is one of the reason the Chinese government hasn't cracked down that market, because those people have influence high up.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Some report from vox that one tuzzer posted said that mostly rich people afford to buy those kind of animals and that is one of the reason the Chinese government hasn't cracked down that market, because those people have influence high up.
Goes back to the days of the great famine in China (late 50s, early 60s) and the food shortage led to a national psyche of becoming fearful of starving, which in turn led to eating more and better, and eventually exotic animals or parts of an animal becoming something of prestige and reputation. The idea that once they had nothing, but now can and will eat anything.

It's a cultural thing but it's awful on so many levels, firstly to rare animal populations, along with traditional medicine, now this as a byproduct.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Most people don't know how to use them properly
I wonder if most are even avoiding touching face, washing hands properly for 20 secs, and keeping distance yet.

Doubt they're disinfecting their phones, keys, wallet, gloves, doorknob when they get home. Most aren't that detail oriented. Keep in mind most can't even prepare chicken without getting campylobacter all over their kitchen.

Instead they're fighting over toilet paper.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Few people talk about it but Norway has a lot of issues with the virus. Currently, there are 130 cases per 1 million citizens. Spain has "only" 64 for example.
I would assume countries with crumbling health care systems are where the media alarm bells are going off right now. I would he very surprised if Spain’s healthcare is anywhere as good as the scandinavian one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
So as I stated earlier my wife is a nurse and they have just been told the hospital won't be providing them with masks. So she'll be forced to work around sick people without fucking protection. It's infuriating. Luckily we have some laying around the house but we'll have to figure something out. Fuck them!
I just spent 2 hours at the university of Utah hospital. Their game is on point, you get questioned before your allowed in, then if you have any symptoms you get a yellow sticker mask and gloves and you go to a special waiting area, if like me you have no symptoms you get a green sticker, a hand wash, and a private waiting room. I was impressed

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Donovan Mitchell has it now, as well. Just days after Rudy Gobert, who was sick on Monday, went around and touched everyone else's belongings.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
The best advise regarding washing hands and gloves I heard was this: wear disposable gloves after washing your hands, and disinfect it with alcohol often. If you're worried you're using too much alcohol keep alcohol-soaked cotton balls in a zip lock bag.

- - - Updated - - -

Manolo Gabbiadini now

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I just spent 2 hours at the university of Utah hospital. Their game is on point, you get questioned before your allowed in, then if you have any symptoms you get a yellow sticker mask and gloves and you go to a special waiting area, if like me you have no symptoms you get a green sticker, a hand wash, and a private waiting room. I was impressed

Did you go to get tested? I don't even know where to look here in the armpit of New England known as the State of Rhode Island. Seriously, why couldn't my ancestors just travel 50 miles north to Boston instead.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Well, here in a tiny Caribbean island we've been waiting for it to hit for weeks. Just over two weeks ago was the end of our Carnival festivities where 30,000+ tourists came and we've had two months of large parties all over the island, ending with a two day parade with a hundred thousand in the streets.

We've had no known cases yet, but we've had a few cases of people passing through and returning to their countries to discover that they've got it. Whether it was contracted here or elsewhere isn't known. We probably have had cases of our own here but clearly it hasn't spread far.

There have been cases in other Caribbean countries but they seem to be isolated cases from people returning from abroad. Obviously these countries don't have the most developed public health systems and won't be the best prepared to deal with a pandemic, but the situation seems calm. People are basically still waiting for it to arrive.

When you look at the rest of the world, it seems to be the temperate countries that are worst hit, with a few exceptions like Singapore and Qatar, but even then they don't seem to be getting a lot of new cases, so I guess they are mostly contracting from people entering from other countries ( https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 42)