Coppa Italia: Napoli vs Juventus [08-27-2006] (1 Viewer)

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
As predicted, it was actually buffons decision behind the taking of the penalty. He wanted to take the first pen and deschamp agreed simply because of his willing confidence and energy. I wont blame DD here too much as his trying to keep the right spirit and saying no to him may not please buffon and in return turning into a backlash. I think we can learn a hell of a lot out of this match and yes to a certain extent its good it happened now than later.

As for the question regarding Boumsong, he didnt play because there were still a few niggly bits in his transfer to sort out. Im assuming its proberly down to getting the thumbs up for registeration as a coppa italia/serieB player.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

i think people are making too much of this result. this was one of the toughest games we will face this season. napoli are a good team who play at sold out stadiums even at lower leauges, plus we are their sworn rivals and the players and the fans know that. the pressure was on and personally i'm not too surprised with this, it was a tough game which we lost on penalties. yes, the goals we conceded were sloppy and should have been avoided but this a new team and a completelly new back line. give the boys some time, they need to gel with each other.

heads up guys!

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
I've just watched highlights and wtf is with our defence... they really sucks.

I hope Gigi will leave Juve, I can't watch him conceding so many goals because sloppy defence, he deserves better. If our defence continue to play like this then Gigi will turn from world no.1 into a world no.101...

I just can't believe we concede goals like this...

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Vinman said:
I just watched the highlights, and let me say that I could get 3 guys on this forum and myself, and put us in at defense, and we wouldnt have been as bad as Juve's defense today

This all feels like a sick, twisted nightmare...

we dont have Zamby or Canna...we are out of Serie A......we got beat in a preliminary round of the Coppa....we will not be in the CL for the foreseeable future...we cant watch the games because their not televised ANYWHERE......

SOMEONE PLEASE WAKE ME

FROM THIS NIGHTMARE !!!!!:cry:
Hey Vinman can you give me the link for the highlights?
I am terrible doing online reserach. Writing down some forums, and visiting website is just about all the computer skills that I know.:D

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
swag said:
It does suck that we're out. But we couldn't have won this thing anyway, IMO. Not so much sour grapes. Just that I think the team needs to focus on the fact that Serie B isn't going to be a cakewalk and we need to get our act together to get back in A next season.
Excellent post Swag - I cannot agree more.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that winning Coppa is no easy task, especially when it will be the only competition that Inter will win this year.:agree: .
Beside, UEFA is hardly the money spinning machine these days, and unlike mid 90s or before, it virtually has no prestige. IMO Parma was the last team to win a meaningful UEFA Cup.

Lets not forget promotion is our main objective this year - anything other is just a bonus. With 17 point penalty, we have very little margin for error. And if the penalty do get wiped off, we still need to prove that we are the best team.
While I don't think Serie B teams will be great in terms of quality, their players will be motivated given that it is their only chance in the lifetime to play against some of our players. They will use every single dirty tricks; stamping on the toes, kicks on the back of leg, shirt pulling, elboes, trash talks, hugging, you name it, to win a point against us. The pitch won't help us to play in the manner we can. Some teams will deliberately make the condition worse to stop us playing high quality one touch stuff. And lets not forget every Serie B game against us will be a sell-out, willing their team to win against us.

While we should qualify, we are in a situation where it is us against the world. We need tough mentality players who can stand up to the physical challenges ahead and yet stay focused. Mauro Camoranesi should take note.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
The manner in which we lost was terrible. Still, it was always gonna be very difficult to overcome Napoli at their own ground with our current side.. Horrific defending!!

But we managed 2-2 at full time and that wouldn't have been so bad in the league, imo..

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
ZhiXin said:
As I said previously, Birindelli should not be a CB, he should be a RB instead
Let Giannichedda do the job instead, after all he has much more experience in playing that position compared to Birindelli

And please cut come slack on Birindelli, Buffon and other players who didn't have a good day. You think they want to have everything against them? Man, it is like you can't even afford to make a human error these days
I agree on Biri - he has been a long faithful servant to us and shown to be dependable in a number of postion before. I wouldnt mind using Biri as a CB in the case of emergency, but Gianni should still get the nod.
I don't blame DD for using him as CB though. Even Lippi has done that in the past because Biri is so versatille. And in fact, I quite liked Biri playing either as a right sided center back or a man marker on quick center forwards because he was the only defender with recognizable pace in our defence.
The problem is with a leg surgery and age, I am not sure whether he still has the leg or not.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Jun-hide said:
I agree on Biri - he has been a long faithful servant to us and shown to be dependable in a number of postion before. I wouldnt mind using Biri as a CB in the case of emergency, but Gianni should still get the nod.
I don't blame DD for using him as CB though. Even Lippi has done that in the past because Biri is so versatille. And in fact, I quite liked Biri playing either as a right sided center back or a man marker on quick center forwards because he was the only defender with recognizable pace in our defence.
The problem is with a leg surgery and age, I am not sure whether he still has the leg or not.
Of course I know he has played CB before, but then an injury can completely change a player. I rather DD use Piccolo instead

Which is why I still don't get why he is still playing as a CB, especially after such a crucial injury

Guzzler

Apr 14, 2006
Didier Deschamps was unhappy after Juventus were eliminated from the Coppa Italia by Napoli, but he insisted that promotion to Serie A was always their priority.

The Bianconeri were defeated 8-7 in the third round of the competition after a dramatic penalty shoot-out, in front of a packed Stadio San Paolo with more than 60,000 fans cheering on the home side.

“It was a great game for the spectators, but I can’t criticise my players – their attitude was exactly the one we needed,” said the tactician after the match.

“We knew it was going to be a difficult challenge, San Paolo is always a complicated environment to play in and Napoli are a good side.

“Furthermore, the crowd here really gets behind the team and gives them that extra something.

“Napoli played a good match and we had several problems, but we could have avoided a few mistakes – there is always an error behind every goal,” continued Deschamps.

“We’re obviously disappointed, as the Cup was the fastest way to return to European competitions, but the championship still is, and has always been, our priority. Our season doesn’t end here”.

The Juventus Coach also commented on Gianluigi Buffon’s bizarre decision to take the first spot-kick, which the ‘keeper missed.

“He asked me to kick the penalty, he said he felt like doing so and there weren’t many players on the pitch who still had the energies, so I let him try.”

channel4.com/sport

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
all am going to say is that am really disappointed with the result and DD tbh.
He should've forseen that before hand,fielding biri in the CB position was going to backfire sooner than later.Gianii,or even chiellini should've been given their chance there as they played in that position at some time in their career.

Boumsong better be a freaking hit in that backline, cuz if he wasnt then this team is in big trouble.

In regards to the offence i hope trezi stays, cuz the captain wont bail us out every game.

We lost the possible route to europe, mybe we wouldn't have won it but going through would've been good.

and did camo get a straight red card ?

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
ZhiXin said:
Of course I know he has played CB before, but then an injury can completely change a player. I rather DD use Piccolo instead

Which is why I still don't get why he is still playing as a CB, especially after such a crucial injury
Is Piccolo still with us? I am surprised he hasnt been loaned out yet. But I wish he will stay with us and we need defenders in quantity and quality.

I agree with you in principal that Biri shouldnt play as CB anymore. In fact, I am not sure whether he still has the fitness to last a whole season being a regular.
But if DD wants to experiment, I think the time is now. Being knocked out of Coppa is hard to take, especially the manner in which we lost, but I don't think our chances of winning the competition was that great anyway.

On the flip side, I wish DD has learnt his lesson, and realize Boumsong and Biri won't cut it.:) . I wasnt directing any criticisms towards you by any means - I just wanted to make a point to others who seems to sharpening their knives for DD already.
Lets relax, and give him the time. If he makes mistakes, I wish he makes them now than later. I am sure (Hope!) he won't have to play Biri as CB at a crunch time.:eyebrows:

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Jun-hide said:
Is Piccolo still with us? I am surprised he hasnt been loaned out yet. But I wish he will stay with us and we need defenders in quantity and quality.

I agree with you in principal that Biri shouldnt play as CB anymore. In fact, I am not sure whether he still has the fitness to last a whole season being a regular.
But if DD wants to experiment, I think the time is now. Being knocked out of Coppa is hard to take, especially the manner in which we lost, but I don't think our chances of winning the competition was that great anyway.

On the flip side, I wish DD has learnt his lesson, and realize Boumsong and Biri won't cut it.:) . I wasnt directing any criticisms towards you by any means - I just wanted to make a point to others who seems to sharpening their knives for DD already.
Lets relax, and give him the time. If he makes mistakes, I wish he makes them now than later. I am sure (Hope!) he won't have to play Biri as CB at a crunch time.:eyebrows:
Yes Piccolo is still there, can give us another option as a CB. I still feel that Birindelli has become a bench player again. But what irks me is the attitude to certain players in here. It is like they have to be perfect

About the Coppa Italia, I expected us to go further, but this test against Napoli has yielded positive results. This means that we still have a lot of fixing to do.

About Boumsong, I will give him one season to prove himself, anyway about the Newcastle flop thing, I don't think we should make a judgement so soon, at least give him a season before making a conclusion.

I don't mind about you giving me criticisms though, after all I yearn for improvement. After all building from a young squad is hard, needs to take time.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
On Boumsong, I am not too keen on players who had down season without any particular reasons. I understand when players get injured or he had to go through hard times, but with Boumsong I did not hear either of those.

However, I will give him just one year to prove himself. I'll give him a benefit of doubt that he may not have liked his lifestyle in Newcastle. But what worries me is that Boumsong doesn't seem to be one of those mentally though players.
These players, however inaccurate my conjecture maybe, seems to be more liable for loss of form than most.

As for Piccolo, I have read in the magazine that he was a very promising defender with Masiello in our youth system. I haven't seen him in action yet, but I guess it is worth having him when, you know, Legro is standing on the wings. We all know his loss of form.
BTW, is it possible to loan out players after the transfer deadline? Or is the deal only limited to free-transfer after this period?

OmriK

Jul 23, 2006
Boumsong was a mistake,we should have loand him with a buy option.we need felipe/fati/givet with felipe as first target,as he proved himself in serie a.
our defence need to handle the hole that canna,zambrotta and thuram left in there.we need more defnce players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)