[Coppa Italia] Napoli 3-2 JUVENTUS [5th April, 2017] (4 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Two totally different approaches, two totally diff teams, and two totally different competitions. I don't think we'll go through against Barca, but it's got nothing to do with how we played these past few games.
It's just the fact that people keeps alluding to this good form that we're all of a sudden going to hit when playing them. Why not play to that ability now if that's the case? It's just worrisome. I'm not saying that we're going to get relegated and the sky is falling like some around here would imply, but it's just not very reassuring to see.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
It's just the fact that people keeps alluding to this good form that we're all of a sudden going to hit when playing them. Why not play to that ability now if that's the case? It's just worrisome. I'm not saying that we're going to get relegated and the sky is falling like some around here would imply, but it's just not very reassuring to see.
Exactly.

Is not like we are playing like this on purpouse and suddenly we will tiki taka the shid out of barcelona in JS scoring 3 goals because "this is not even my final form".

come on

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
But our defense has been fantastic in CL this season. Our defenders haven't had these constant brainfarts there. They haven't played with this lazy, arrogant attitude that is clearly visible in Serie A and Coppa. We've conceded just 2 goals in 8 matches, and only allowed a few good chances on net total.

It remains to be seen who we do in the CL against a team with an attack like Barca's but it's not unreasonable to suggest we'll perform better there because we understand the difference in quality. You could see it in both the COppa Italia ties against Napoli. We dominated them when we needed to, and then played lazy as fuck and almost allowed them back into it.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
One thing I don't get is why our players get more tired than Barcelona, Real, or Bayern's?
They barely rotate, but our players are pretty dead if they play two 90 mins in a row.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Two totally different approaches, two totally diff teams, and two totally different competitions. I don't think we'll go through against Barca, but it's got nothing to do with how we played these past few games.
You're right. You only think that because you're a little bitch.

GrandeGigi

Sep 18, 2012
One thing I don't get is why our players get more tired than Barcelona, Real, or Bayern's?
They barely rotate, but our players are pretty dead if they play two 90 mins in a row.
Training is supposed to be pretty intense. So intense that it forces us to go into energy conservation mode in 75% of our games.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Chimp boy alludes to it here: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...bale-real-madrid-premier-league-a7615366.html

Bayern are simply much better than the rest of their league, and the Spanish teams for the most part. Let's face it, we ourselves haven't actually had that many injuries this season, but previously there was clearly something wrong with conditioning.

ACL injuries are nothing to do with fitness, although it does happen more with higher tempo games because of the nature of twisting and turning at speed. In England there were something like 9 last season alone.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Chimp boy alludes to it here: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...bale-real-madrid-premier-league-a7615366.html

Bayern are simply much better than the rest of their league, and the Spanish teams for the most part. Let's face it, we ourselves haven't actually had that many injuries this season, but previously there was clearly something wrong with conditioning.

ACL injuries are nothing to do with fitness, although it does happen more with higher tempo games because of the nature of twisting and turning at speed. In England there were something like 9 last season alone.
We're not much better than the rest of our league too?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
We're not much better than the rest of our league too?
Well yes, which is why I mentioned our lack of injuries. But we are still not miles ahead of the other teams. We're consistent and know how to win over a season. In the big head to heads we haven't really stepped up this year.

Notice how we are increasingly putting less into our league performances in terms of tempo as we try to juggle the competitions?

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Well yes, which is why I mentioned our lack of injuries. But we are still not miles ahead of the other teams. We're consistent and know how to win over a season. In the big head to heads we haven't really stepped up this year.

Notice how we are increasingly putting less into our league performances in terms of tempo as we try to juggle the competitions?
Yeah. What I don't understand is that when we try to conserve energy, why do we cede territory and possession. You would think that we would expend less energy (physical and mental) by pinning back our weaker opponents and keeping them on the defensive rather than us trying to shut up shop at 2-0

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Yeah. What I don't understand is that when we try to conserve energy, why do we cede territory and possession. You would think that we would expend less energy (physical and mental) by pinning back our weaker opponents and keeping them on the defensive rather than us trying to shut up shop at 2-0
Italian things.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
We have tons of depth for rotation across our entire defensive line. 5 very good CBs (Bonucci, Chiello, Barza, Rugani, Benatia), and 4 very good fullbacks (Sandro, Licht, Alves, Asa). We have good midfield depth now that we play a midfield 2 (Pjanic, Khedira, Marchisio, Rincon, Lemina, Stu)...

Those are the positions that expend more energy while shutting up shop.

However, our attacking line has no depth at all. We literally have 4 attackers, while our primary formation right now requires 4 attackers. Pressing the other team, and pinning them back like Napoli, Roma, and others would require much more energy expended from our attackers... whereas shutting up shop as soon as we get a lead, allows Higgy and Dybala to really do nothing, aside from half-hearted defensive effort (which is exactly what we see from those 2).

I am sure there are other contributing factors, but I think this is a part of it, especially since when we started with this formation in January and the first 2/3 of February we were attacking far more and taking the game to other teams even in the league. It's only really vanished through the month of March, where we are going into a defensive shell and energy conservation mode as soon as we get a lead, and I'd assume that has something to do with a lack of depth in attack.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
The only way to pin back a team like Napoli is to counter press when you lose the ball in their half. But that takes a shit load of energy and there's no guarantee we could even do it against them. Much easier to just jog around in our box I suppose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)