[Coppa Italia] Juventus 4-0 SPAL [January 27th, 2021] (1 Viewer)

vote

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
lol what? That was the clearest penalty we've received this season. I actually felt bad for the ref needing VAR to confirm it, it was embarrassing.
and as i said in the live bread, without the yellow card to rabiot, var couldn't have intervened. ref was lucky, his own mistake saved him from an even bigger embarrassment.

JuventinMalti

Apr 5, 2006
and as i said in the live bread, without the yellow card to rabiot, var couldn't have intervened. ref was lucky, his own mistake saved him from an even bigger embarrassment.
Why not? VAR can be used in case of a penalty. It's happened a countless times, ref doesn't see anything wrong and he's called back to check. He sees footage and awards penalty. Most penalties awarded by VAR work that way.

Whether he is actually called back is another matter, and not relevant here, because the point is whether it is possible for VAR official to call ref back to check.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Why not? VAR can be used in case of a penalty. It's happened a countless times, ref doesn't see anything wrong and he's called back to check. He sees footage and awards penalty. Most penalties awarded by VAR work that way.

Whether he is actually called back is another matter, and not relevant here, because the point is whether it is possible for VAR official to call ref back to check.
there's a new rule implemented for this season. i couldn't find too much about it, especially not in english, but a bit similarly to the premier league, var can be called when there's an obvious error or an unseen event.

there are 4 cases of obvious errors and unseen events: goal given/not given (it's not only the goal line technology; includes cases when there's a foul in the build-up or there's an offside to be reviewed, etc), penalty or not, direct red card, wrong player given a card. and here's the twist: these cases can be reviewed if the ref couldn't see the case properly. now, in this case, the ref could see the case, he awarded a free kick to spal, and gave a yellow to rabiot for simulation. the latter is important: if there's no yellow to rabiot, var couldn't intervene, because the ref saw what happened, period. but since he gave the yellow to rabiot, and var suggested that the ref sanctioned the wrong player, var ref could call for the review.

it's kinda stupid rule, i know.

JuventinMalti

Apr 5, 2006
there's a new rule implemented for this season. i couldn't find too much about it, especially not in english, but a bit similarly to the premier league, var can be called when there's an obvious error or an unseen event.

there are 4 cases of obvious errors and unseen events: goal given/not given (it's not only the goal line technology; includes cases when there's a foul in the build-up or there's an offside to be reviewed, etc), penalty or not, direct red card, wrong player given a card. and here's the twist: these cases can be reviewed if the ref couldn't see the case properly. now, in this case, the ref could see the case, he awarded a free kick to spal, and gave a yellow to rabiot for simulation. the latter is important: if there's no yellow to rabiot, var couldn't intervene, because the ref saw what happened, period. but since he gave the yellow to rabiot, and var suggested that the ref sanctioned the wrong player, var ref could call for the review.

it's kinda stupid rule, i know.
Kinda hard for the VAR referee to be on top of what the main referee could or couldn't see properly. Any event, even if seen by the ref, can be a case of cannot be seen properly. At times a foul is only evident from a particular angle. Yesterday's case is an example. I'm sure that from some angles, possibly the ref's, it could look like not being a foul, or a simulation. But yeah, if that's the rule, stupid rule. The VAR ref cannot make a judgement on what the ref thought he saw without stopping the game.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Kinda hard for the VAR referee to be on top of what the main referee could or couldn't see properly. Any event, even if seen by the ref, can be a case of cannot be seen properly. At times a foul is only evident from a particular angle. Yesterday's case is an example. I'm sure that from some angles, possibly the ref's, it could look like not being a foul, or a simulation. But yeah, if that's the rule, stupid rule. The VAR ref cannot make a judgement on what the ref thought he saw without stopping the game.
he actually can: if the main ref stopped the play, awarded a freekick and gave a yellow to rabiot, it means that it's fair to suppose he saw the incident. (same case without yellow.)

remember the penalty decision from the milan derby? valeri couldn't properly see leao's attempted tackle, he didn't whistle anything, so var could call for an on-field review.

anyway, i agree with you, events that could influence the score should be reviewed either way. it's worth to follow marelli, in a youtube vid the other day he mentioned two cases from this current league season when var intervened in similar cases. it should be much more than that.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Where are you getting that from? Lol

Every potential penalty is VAR reviewable.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
Where are you getting that from? Lol

Every potential penalty is VAR reviewable.
well, not really

the same is written by gazzetta, see alex's post and ref's rating above. both antonio corsa and gazzetta are saying that "probably" that's the rule, but marelli explained the conditions in a video for an obvious mistake, and being wrong on a foul apparently isn't one. i don't like this at all, but as @il brutto explained in the milan match thread, the same rule applies for the premier league too, so there's that.

no need to lol buddy, especially not before you do your homework

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
well, not really

the same is written by gazzetta, see alex's post and ref's rating above. both antonio corsa and gazzetta are saying that "probably" that's the rule, but marelli explained the conditions in a video for an obvious mistake, and being wrong on a foul apparently isn't one. i don't like this at all, but as @il brutto explained in the milan match thread, the same rule applies for the premier league too, so there's that.

no need to lol buddy, especially not before you do your homework
Ok but you said the carding of Rabiot was what made it reviewable, which is what really made me lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)