Collina To Retire Next Year (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Collina To Retire Next Year

Pierluigi Collina has today announced that he will be retiring in June 2005 when he reaches the age limit of 45 years.

The most famous referee in the world declared: "In June of next year, when I'll be 45 years old, I will retire as the rules state. Surely deciding this just on the basis of an identity card is limitive. Some players give us fantastic examples, like Zoff, Baggio, Mc Callister, who kept on playing at the highest levels even at an older age. However I shall retire; referees follow the rules."

soccerage

===

:eek::eek::eek:

I never knew about this rule :dontcare:

Buy on AliExpress.com

gray

Apr 22, 2003
I didn't know about the rule either. IMO experience is the most useful thing a referee has, more useful than a young, fit referee who's trigger-happy on the yellow cards

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
I knew there was a rule. I just didnt know it was 45. I think the limit should be 50.

Anyway, a great man. The end of a rather absurd reign of a celebrity referee(well, besides that of Moreno, famous for the wrong reasons).

Anyone think there will be other celebrity referees in the future?

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Nah. He was faous because he was scary, with no hair and eyebrows... he's the kind of guy you wouldnt like to meet in a dark alley.

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
Although i like Paparesta better, its a shame to see him leave :down: Hes such a legend in the Refereeing world.

Definitely the most recognizable Football official the world over .

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
It's an arbitrary figure. If you want to base it on something sensible, you just make them take annual fitness checks and retire them when they eventually fail.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Collina To Retire Next Year

Pierluigi Collina has today announced that he will be retiring in June 2005 when he reaches the age limit of 45 years.

The most famous referee in the world declared: "In June of next year, when I'll be 45 years old, I will retire as the rules state. Surely deciding this just on the basis of an identity card is limitive. Some players give us fantastic examples, like Zoff, Baggio, Mc Callister, who kept on playing at the highest levels even at an older age. However I shall retire; referees follow the rules."

soccerage

===

:eek::eek::eek:

I never knew about this rule :dontcare:
Neither did I and it doesn't make much sense imo. I mean, the referee is an authoric figure on the pitch. I would think that age only attributes to that, as well as experience.

It would make more sense to make him subject to tests like Mikhail here suggested.

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
++ [ originally posted by -Z- ] ++
Nah. He was faous because he was scary, with no hair and eyebrows... he's the kind of guy you wouldnt like to meet in a dark alley.
well do you think there might be another famous ref with weird physical features that might make him famous?

like a referee who looks like a pirate with an eyepatch or something?

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
dont think he'd pass the fitness test, mikhail.

although it sounds like a great idea.

anyone got depp's number? im sure we can find a good prosthetic leg for the fellow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)