3 (3) Real Madrid 85
4 (4) Porto 64
5 (5) Juventus 52
6 (7) Chelsea 46
7 (6) Cruzeiro 37
8 (-) Barcelona 33
9 (9) Werder Bremen 29
10 (8) Man Utd 27

Arsenal stayed on top of the CNN/World Soccer Top 10 for a third week in a row following a 2-1 Premier League win over London rival Charlton, in voting done Thursday, March 4.

Robert Pires and Thierry Henry both scored inside four minutes for the Gunners, who extended their Premier League lead to nine points.

In an unchanged top five, Arsenal is followed by the leaders of Europe's two other major leagues.

European champion AC Milan, which leads Italy's Serie A by five points, stayed at No. 2 following a 1-0 win over Lazio.

Third-placed Spanish champion Real Madrid also won, coming from one goal down to beat Celta Vigo 4-2 and extend their Liga lead to eight points.

Portuguese champion Porto completed the top five.

Among the bottom five, Barcelona's impressive form in the Liga and the UEFA Cup saw it join the list in eighth place.

Barca won 3-2 at Deportivo Coruna last weekend and then claimed a place in the last 16 of the UEFA Cup with a 2-1 second leg win -- 3-1 on aggregate -- over Brondby of Denmark.

The weekly CNN/World Soccer Top 10 is compiled by staff from SI.com, CNN's World Sport show along with the team at World Soccer magazine.

Dropped: River Plate

Others receiving votes: River Plate, Roma, Boca Juniors, Valencia, Deportivo.

One to watch: The only team with a perfect record after three games of the Argentine season is not Boca or River Plate but Talleres, which has also out-scored its opponents by an impressive 12-4.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It's really dumb how they slide South American clubs in between the European ones. Why is Cruzeiro there? Why aren't there any more SA clubs?

If they want to prove that they know their SA football, they should make two lists, separate from each other.

OP
Elnur_E65

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8
    I think that CNN guys only look at teams' performance in a given time- one week to be precise. Milan slipped to number 2 three weeks ago ONLY because they tied with Sparta in Prague. And that is with the best performance in Seria A history so far in a year, win over Lazio and 4-1 defeat of Sparta at San Sirro.

Look at FIFA's top ten.

1 Brazil 846
    2 France 828
    3 Spain 795
    4 Netherlands 749
    5 Mexico 742
    6 Argentina 741
    7 England 740
    8 Czech Republic 739
    9 Turkey 737
    10 Italy 731
    11 United States 729
    12 Germany 727

Turkey, which lost to Latvia and didn't make it to EURO is at number 9, or the US, which is consistantly ranked in the top 15.

kaizer

Nov 1, 2003
    when i saw this thread, i was earger to see where we are in the ranking. i dont think those guys actually keep track of our performance :howler:

and england higher than czech....? :eek:

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    I think Arsenal may just close out the year on top. Would be nice to see them lift the CL as a surprise team. And considering the way they came back from the dead, it may just happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)