Claudio Marchisio (68 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
No not really rare, it's pretty common for footballers when you consider that it comes from twisting and turning impact on the knee, which you will always see on a football pitch. You have high profile players such as Owen, Pires, van Nistelrooij, Baggio, Del Piero, Heinze, Shearer, Arteta, Walcott, Ramsey, Falcao, Lahm, I'm sure I'm missing many more examples with the same injury. In the PL alone six players suffered the injury just this season - Ings, C. Wilson, J. Gomez, Krul, Mings and Gradel.

Have a read of this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-boots-experts-claim-unhappy-coincidence.html

Guess what boots Marchisio wears?

Salvo

J
Dec 17, 2007
No not really rare, it's pretty common for footballers when you consider that it comes from twisting and turning impact on the knee, which you will always see on a football pitch. You have high profile players such as Owen, Pires, van Nistelrooij, Baggio, Del Piero, Heinze, Shearer, Arteta, Walcott, Ramsey, Falcao, Lahm, I'm sure I'm missing many more examples with the same injury. In the PL alone six players suffered the injury just this season - Ings, C. Wilson, J. Gomez, Krul, Mings and Gradel.

Have a read of this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-boots-experts-claim-unhappy-coincidence.html

Adidas always had superior boots :stuckup:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

I know I see a lot of this injury nowadays. But I thought they weren't a thing like 10-20 years ago. But you might be right.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

I am unconvinced. There is simply no mechanism that would explain it. Both Nike and Adidas use blades for traction on some models and round studs on others. Instinctively one might think blades cause more ACL injuries, but truth is a link has not yet been found and blades have been used for decades now.

I think the biggest risk factor is simply the speed of the game. As the game is ever faster, the pressures on ligaments have become higher and higher. Unfortunately this makes ACL tears more common. Important to note however is also that most players play just as well after an ACL tear these days (which was most definitely not the case in the 90's or even 00's).

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
I am unconvinced. There is simply no mechanism that would explain it. Both Nike and Adidas use blades for traction on some models and round studs on others. Instinctively one might think blades cause more ACL injuries, but truth is a link has not yet been found and blades have been used for decades now.

I think the biggest risk factor is simply the speed of the game. As the game is ever faster, the pressures on ligaments have become higher and higher. Unfortunately this makes ACL tears more common. Important to note however is also that most players play just as well after an ACL tear these days (which was most definitely not the case in the 90's or even 00's).
:agree:

The shoes don't make a difference. I've torn my ACL wearing an adipure pair.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Whats up with Nistelrooys name? He had v. Nistelrooy on his shirt while in United but i remember when he arrived at Real wore v. Nistelrooij for some time (later changed it to v. Nistelrooy again)

piotrr

Мodеrator
Sep 13, 2011
Whats up with Nistelrooys name? He had v. Nistelrooy on his shirt while in United but i remember when he arrived at Real wore v. Nistelrooij for some time (later changed it to v. Nistelrooy again)
Don't know what's up with his name, but United crowd doing 'Ruuuuuuuuuuud' after his goals always sounded so badass to me. :D

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
'rooy' is an English/international spelling because we are dumb dumbs, 'rooij' is the original Dutch. Same for Cruyff/Cruijff, etc.

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Is it just me or does Nistelrooy's face resembled that of a horse?

I always remember that I used to make horse noises when I saw him run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 63)