Claudio Marchisio (26 Viewers)

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Marchisio has hardly been a utility player. He's not a classic no. 10 I agree, but not even Del Piero and Tevez were classic no. 10's. I care mostly about the player being worthy of carrying the jersey and Marchisio is more than worthy.
Utility might be a stretch, but either way he doesnt deserve #10, as this number is traditionally for us and other Italian clubs closely related to position on the field rather than someone's merits. DP and Tevez, the former especially deserved this number due to position they occupied on the field and the offensive output they provided this team with week in week out. Attaccking mid/TQ or creative SS (DP, Baggio, Tevez) traditionally were given it and I dont see any sense in changing it to accomodate someone only because he has been here long enough, eventhough he has been loyal and had moments of excellence during his spell. In the same way only striker will be handed #9 and we certainly wont consider defender, or mid for this number, no matter their status.
I'm with DP84 on this one. I know to some people it's just a number, but some numbers at certain clubs carry a certain connotation with them, and a huge amount of pressure. It's like the #7 at United; #10 at Juve will undoubtedly cause Marchisio to be held at a higher standard than he's capable of reaching(This coming from someone who rates him), it's the # Tevez, Del Piero, Baggio and Platini wore. Whether you like it or not, that's the standard he will be held against. This is not a good idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)