Claudio Gentile (5 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
As one of Italy's finest, if somewhat ferocious, defenders, Claudio Gentile was simply a rock. Little surprise, then, that one of his descendants should wash up at Dumbarton. Gentile became one of the most decorated players of his generation, if not one of the most lauded.

He was an uncompromising central defender who stockpiled trophies with the same gusto as he stopped opposition forwards in their tracks.

He was not a nimble-footed player like Antonio Cabrini or Gaetano Scirea, nor did he possess a powerful shot like Antonello Cuccureddu, another team-mate. Gentile's job was, simply, defending and he was well rewarded for his endeavours.

As an integral part of the all-conquering Juventus team of the 1970s and early 1980s in which team-mates also included the esteemed Michel Platini and Zbigniew Boniek, Gentile collected medals for his role in the team clinching six Serie A scudettos, two Italian Cups, the UEFA Cup and the Cup-Winners' Cup.

His greatest moment, however, came with country rather than club. Ask any Italian of a certain vintage of their most vivid memory of Gentile and most will point towards his role in the Azzurri's success in lifting the 1982 World Cup.

Having nullified the imposing threat of Diego Maradona in Italy's second-round match with Argentina, Gentile then turned his focus to stopping Zico in the next round against pre-tournament favourites Brazil. Eschewing the traditional protocol of swopping shirts at full-time, Gentile literally tore a strip off Zico during one memorable tussle.

Zico, in fact, was petrified of Gentile. In four games between Udinese and Gentile's Juventus, the Brazilian scored only once in a period where he was otherwise averaging around a goal a game.

Gentile, however, saved his best performance for the World Cup final. Alongside Scirea, he produced an outstanding defensive display as Italy defeated West Germany 3-1.

Gentile, in fact, had been born in Tripoli in Libya, along with his cousin, Luciano. The family would soon move to the north of Italy and settle on the banks of Lake Como, but the sensation of wanderlust never left Luciano Gentile.

While his cousin was busy becoming an international football star, Luciano chose a different path, moving to Scotland and starting a family.

And so, 10 months before Claudio reached the pinnacle of an eventful career with Italy being crowned world champions in Spain, Chris Gentile was born in Glasgow.

Fast forward 26 years and Gentile, now a midfielder with Dumbarton after spells with Dundee United and various junior clubs, will risk the wrath of his father and the famous second cousin he has never met by giving his full backing to Scotland this weekend.

"I'm Scottish-born and bred, so I'll be backing them this weekend. I'll probably go up to my dad's house in Dennistoun for a bit of pasta and watch the match with him. He'll be supporting Italy, so it should make for an interesting evening."

It is to his eternal disappointment that Chris has never met his famous relative despite regular trips to visit family in Italy over the years.

"I wasn't even one year old when Claudio won the World Cup and he hung up his boots when I was around seven, so I never got to see him in action.

"Everyone in the family is really proud of him, especially my dad. We've got the DVDs of him in the house, especially his performances in the 1982 World Cup against Maradona and Zico.

"He's got a reputation as a dirty player, but I think that's unfair. I like to think he was hard but fair.

"I've been back to visit my grandparents in Italy a few times over the years, but Claudio was never around. He was Italy's under-21 coach for many years, so I guess he's a busy man."

The Herald

-------------------------------------------

I know the article was not mainly about Claudio, but I thought some members would like to read some of the info mentioned about Claudio during his career.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
for me he was the greatest defender of the past century ahead of the likes of maldini, cannavaro, nesta, ferrara, Scirea comes close. i only wish he was still around to play for us, i cant think of another defender that can tame the opponent's dangerman as well as and as consistently as gentile did

Dec 31, 2008
An urban myth tells of a story when English striker Kevin Keegan had been named as European Footballer of the Year. At the ceremony, Keegan got up off his chair to walk towards the stage in order to collect his prize but was tripped up by Gentile as he waked through the aisle. Gentile then reputedly whispered into Keegan’s ear: “You wouldn’t have won no award if I had been marking you!”
:lol: read in goal. Is it true?

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
An urban myth tells of a story when English striker Kevin Keegan had been named as European Footballer of the Year. At the ceremony, Keegan got up off his chair to walk towards the stage in order to collect his prize but was tripped up by Gentile as he waked through the aisle. Gentile then reputedly whispered into Keegan’s ear: “You wouldn’t have won no award if I had been marking you!”
:lol: read in goal. Is it true?
Good one :lol:

Gamaro

The Arabian Knight
Aug 6, 2007
I think Gentile,was before called the butcher or something like that because of his toughness,the guy was really one of the best Stoppers in the history of the game.

Kempes,Maradonna,Zico & KHR all were kept in his pocket.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
Former Italy great Claudio
Gentile said he would like to return Libya, the country of his
birth, to coach the national team when Muammar Gaddafi's regime
falls.

Gentile was born in Tripoli and spent his childhood there
as part of the Italian community that lived there until Gaddafi
forced them to leave in the early days of his regime.

''I can't wait to go back to Libya and, if they asked me,
I'd really like to be the coach of the Libyan national team,''
said Gentile, a member of Italy's 1982 World Cup-winning team
who had a successful stint as boss of the Italian under-21
national team between 2000 and 2006.

''Libya is a beautiful country and I'm happy democracy is
returning there''.

--------------------------------------------

Respect Claudio. I hope you do manage the Libyan NT one day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)