[CL] Maccabi Haifa 0-1 Juventus, Nov 3rd, 2009 (1 Viewer)

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Cheers for that, Alen. I will assume then, if fit, you would play Zebina in our more important games???? Speaking of whom? when he is set to return???
The others won't like it, but on some matches i'd choose Grygera ahead of Zebina and Caceres.
Not on many matches though. Zebina is indeed my main choice for RB.

I have no idea when he'll be back. You never know with him. Last year we were waiting for him to return any day, and yet he spent 5/6 of the season injured with absolutely no news in the meantime about his return.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
The others won't like it, but on some matches i'd choose Grygera ahead of Zebina and Caceres.

I have no idea when he'll be back. You never know with him. Last year we were waiting for him to return any day, and yet he spent 5/6 of the season injured with absolutely no news in the meantime about his return.
5/6? :lol:

classicalmania

Jun 20, 2009
I only saw the first half...i am interested to know what others thought of Caceres???
I think he was good offensively throughout the match. However, his right flank was not tested much by Maccabi so we will have to see if he can replace Grygera. There were a few times when he was caught going forward too high and left his right flank totally exposed. However, Maccabi's players did not exploit that hole but opted to attack in the centre instead.
I guess we will have to see if he is still weak in defensively positioning or still need time to adapt with the new system in Juve.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Once they'll have to lose.
And draw is no better than defeat (Unless Bayern fail to beat Maccabi in Munich).
Well yeah, you're right that the draw is useless if Bayern beat Maccabi. But we'd obviously have to give much better than anything we've done this season to beat Bordeaux.

So, I think it'll come down to the game with Bayern.

classicalmania

Jun 20, 2009
I would choose Grygera as well when we need to defense against very good wingers. I think Grygera is actually better than Zebina defensively. It is not that Zebina is worse than Grygera in tracing back/marking or tackling, but he usually makes some stupid fouls near the dangerous areas. Grygera is also much stronger physically.

In the last few matches it looked like Grygera was the weakest link. IMO he was not that bad but the lack in width of our system makes him looked like that.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
T
Another thing that we need to sort out is to effectively maintain/distribute our fitness level throughout the match. We took risk by playing the majority of the first half in a very high tempo but then quickly became tired in the end of the first half and let Maccabi fought back strongly. Had we not got the (a bit lucky) goal of Camo, we would have had a much more difficult second half.
that is a very good point. wasting your stamina with a very high tempo in the first half is not the best way of using your power. firstly the opponent will notice the high tempo and adjust to that (and possibly put 10 men behind the ball) to defend until we get tired. then when we take the foot from the gas they will know it is the right time to punish us and will be even more motivated because they know we are tired and punishable.

the best thing would be, that we only increase the speed in small bursts, so the opponent can not really adjust to that, because if he puts 10 men behind the ball we might just play it slow through the defense and they will get no chance to see the ball (without leaving there defensive wall). the thing is, that this is really hard to achieve because there has to be a leader on the pitch that does decide when to increase the speed and even more difficult is, that the other players need to see that and increase they speed of making runs too to further surprise the opponent.

but that is just a theory ... i really did never see such things in perfection by any team, so you can just try to achieve a better distribution of the power/stamina without stupid non-stop running in the first half.

I only saw the first half...i am interested to know what others thought of Caceres???
the problem is, that caceres was not really tested much, so you can not really judge his defensive qualities. given the weak defensive showing of the whole defensive department when he played earlier this season it might have been exaggerated what we said about his bad positioning or the truth will be anywhere between "just good enough" and "disastrous" positioning wise. i do not like to say it, but grygera has better positioning.

let's watch caceres from now on, when we play against other teams that actually have a player that comes over his side.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
I would choose Grygera as well when we need to defense against very good wingers. I think Grygera is actually better than Zebina defensively. It is not that Zebina is worse than Grygera in tracing back/marking or tackling, but he usually makes some stupid fouls near the dangerous areas. Grygera is also much stronger physically.

In the last few matches it looked like Grygera was the weakest link. IMO he was not that bad but the lack in width of our system makes him looked like that.
Actually, Grygera's main advantage over Zebina and Caceres is his discipline. He'll be useless in attack against the better teams because he won't even pass the midfield, but at least you'll know that he'll be always there in defense and he won't do something extremely stupid.

Then again, we'll be missing a lot offensively on the right side if Grygera plays.
No matter how you look at it, the RB position requires a new addition.

Nicholas

MIRKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 30, 2008
Actually, Grygera's main advantage over Zebina and Caceres is his discipline. He'll be useless in attack against the better teams because he won't even pass the midfield, but at least you'll know that he'll be always there in defense and he won't do something extremely stupid.

Then again, we'll be missing a lot offensively on the right side if Grygera plays.
No matter how you look at it, the RB position requires a new addition.
The commentary on the game today said it seems that it will be our priority in the market.

classicalmania

Jun 20, 2009
the best thing would be, that we only increase the speed in small bursts, so the opponent can not really adjust to that, because if he puts 10 men behind the ball we might just play it slow through the defense and they will get no chance to see the ball (without leaving there defensive wall). the thing is, that this is really hard to achieve because there has to be a leader on the pitch that does decide when to increase the speed and even more difficult is, that the other players need to see that and increase they speed of making runs too to further surprise the opponent.
:tup: Yes that would be perfect (I should have rep you for that good point but couldn't because I already repped you for the stream link ;-) ). I remember that our old Juve was able to do that at times in the mid 90s. One example is the CL final against Ajax. We really did surprise them with the type of pressing we played. Oh I miss Deschamps!

:tup: Exactly my point when I said that I would choose Grygera over Zebina at times because Zebina usually makes stupid fouls.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Maybe we should just get rid of Zebina and get a new RB. Who knows, Barca might not ask too much for Caceres and he could become a understudy of the RB we buy. Grygera could be kept as a rotation/backup player.

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Personally i like Zebina, but he is way too often injured. Just way too often. Whats the point of having probably the best RB of those 3, when he is always sidelined.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Lets not get carried away with Caceres just yet. The guy has been poor in the recent past for both Juve and in his internationals, so I'd suspect him to step it up against a weak opponent. The problem is he could have an absolute disaster against a team like Bordeaux, so lets be slow with him.

Zebina is still the man for the spot, IMO.

aah finally i disagree with what you say :D , les girondins will be swiftly defeated everything is pointing to their demise from our lack of form to their now defunct underdog status
The contrarian view. It seems like now 99% of the world are long Bordeaux, so now it's time to add on the shorts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)