[CL] Juventus - Club Brugge (9 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
RochemBeck said:
For the first ten minutes of this match we actually played rather well, stringing passes around the pitch quicker than usual and creating some pretty nice chances. However, after that we started to struggle and looked just as lackluster as usual…not creating any decent chances for the next 25 minutes of play. The chances for us came about as sparsely as the crowds at the Delle Alpi tonight. You could essentially dress both clubs in different gear and have a problem telling both teams apart…that’s not what you would like to hear when you’re playing BRUGGE at Stadio Delle Alpi.

The next best chance came from a Trezeguet header some 38 minutes into the match in which he struck the crossbar, but apart from this single chance we really looked uninspiring for most of the first half. Passing was particularly poor and again after starting at quick pace for Juventus we slowed down and just chugged along as usual. To be honest Brugge obviously came to Turin looking for a draw, however they still managed to control parts of the match and coped well with our advances.

But as usual we picked up our play in the second half and totally dominated the match from thereafter. Our passing improved throughout the duration of the match and almost every player seemed to have improved since the break at halftime. We still did not create a lot of chances, and when we did have some opportunities to score we squandered them or just missed wide. I do not recall Brugge having one shot the entire second half, as they basically just sat back absorbing our attacks rather nicely. After missing a couple good chances Del Piero finally put one away from a Nedved cross...and personally I believe we improved as the match went on.

But this seems to be status quo for Juventus...having a poor first half and then picking up our play in the second 45. In the matches we have lost this season we played very poorly in the first half and conceded goals before halftime. Then in the second half we tried to pick up our play only to be shut down by our respective opponents because it was just too little too late. This is a frightening trend for me becuse it coincides with my theory that if we always try to win with minimum input we will eventually fail when we need to pull through the most...and once we fall behind on the scoreboard we are not adept enough to pull a comeback against the better sides in Europe. Brugge came here to basically hold out for a draw it seems, however in actuality a team like Juventus should be playing them off the park and scoring more than just one rubbish goal.

Abbiati did not even have to make a decent save if I remember correctly.

Zambrotta was solid and was able to move up the pitch a bit more thn on the weekend.

Thuram was great except for one moment of madness when he gave the ball away with a very sloppy pass.

Cannavaro was very solid as well.

Chiellini I thought had a good game, big improvement since the weekend match against Roma. Still needs to improve his decision making and passing skills.

Camoranesi tried extremely hard to work an opening however was frustrated much of the match. Still played well though and provided us some decent passes when he drifted towards the center of the pitch.

Emerson had a quiet but decent match tonight.

Vieira was below average in the first half however picked up his play in the second.

Nedved could have had his best match thus far this season yesterday. He was very much involved with the match and his passes where finally clicking with his teammates. This is good to see.

Trezeguet really could not do much and did not receive any real service.

Del Piero missed bunch of chances however was involved with the match and saved our asses by scoring the only goal.

Mutu came on and looked very lively...what does this man have to do to get a start? If Capello was not so stubborn he would probably be starting up top by now...give him a start as a forward FFS.

Zalayeta had only a few touches.

And last but not least, our passes and creativity around the box is just etrocious for a Juventus team...I don't remember how many times we took shots while having a defender standing right in front of us. We just don't have enough ideas going forward and that's the obvious reason why we only create a couple good chances per game.
I agree with a lot of things there, but you seem to forget Verheyen's header in the second half, which was very dangerous. Also I don't think Del Piero missed several great chances. He missed one that should have gone in, but he did create that on himself, so I won't blame him for missing it in the end.

I don't agree with Chiellini. What's up with him throwing long balls around that aren't even near Juve players? Not starting Mutu is becoming a disgrace.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
congratulation for the win, a important victory, bu we should have scored more.

have you noticed, that we only scored one goal (against Rapid) in the first half?all the other goals came in the second half.

My Ratings:

Abbiati 5,5: he was not tested, in the closing stages he played a bad ball, that could have troubled us.

Zambrotta: 6,5 he won a lot of balls and had some great runs, his flanks could have been better.

Thuram 6,5: great tackels and intellegent play from him. he made also a mistake in the closing stages, but for luck nothing happend.

Canavarro 6,5 solid as allways.

Chielini 5,5: he missed so many balls, his flanks must get better. good defensive display though

Camoranesi 6: he tried a lot, but was not effective. I don´t like his defensive play in the last time.

Viera 6,5: some very good actions from him.

Emerson 6: solid display

Nedved 6,5: he was allway a threat for brügge and had a great assist for ale.

Del Piero 6,5: Il Capitano equlised the record, he seemed very tired at the end, but he did score, he was involed in almost every dangerous chances of juve. may be he should have scored one more goal.

Trez 6: Trez was unlucky not to score, he had a great header against the post. and a great assist for Del piero.

_-----------------------------------------------
I liked the way Mutu played when he came in, so much power.. Zalayeta had a chance with empty goal, must have scored.

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
still think juve will top the group, bayern will also be frustrated by brugge while juve should be able to win by 1 more goal than bayern do to top the group.

it was a very poor game last night imo most of the juve players tried to play within themselves so i think capello should have started a few finge players like mutu and kovac instead of cannavaro(this man is incredible when is the last time he was rested even last season.)

mutu looked very lively and pacey some of his decision making was poor but that was because he was trying to make an impact for himself.

surly he will start against treviso

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Seven said:
Disagree with Chiellini's rating. Apart from his wonderfully struck cross to Trezeguet he was god awful to watch and lost the ball a countless number of times. I'd give him 5. I'd give Del Piero a 6.5 simply because he was the only Juve player that was actually dangerous.
Chiellini was ok at the back but you're right, apart from the peach of a cross to Trezeguet in the first half his deliveries were very poor. I'd give him 5.5. I don't think that DP deserves a 6.5, I'd stick with 6. He was dangerous and his movement was good but he was also wasteful infront of goal. He had six attempts at goal and only managed to hit the target twice (with the goal and the volley that was saved by the keeper).

Abbiati had nothing to do. 6

Zambrotta was solid at the back and got forward well. Skinned the Brugge left back a couple of times and produced that cross for Del Piero in the second half. 6.5

Thuram was also solid. Made one mistake but recovered well. 6.5

Cannavaro was there when needed. Made some good headed clearances to thwart Brugge counter attacks. 6.5

Chiellini was decent at the back but disappointing in attack. 5.5

Camoranesi tried and linked well with Zambrotta down the right at times. Came central to add another dimension to our centre occasionally and knocked some nice passes. 6

Emerson was quiet but did his job as usual. He lacks that cutting edge when going forward but that's ok given his role in the team. 6

Vieira wasn't as good as he usually is but still played some very good passes (I remember one through the middle to Trez in the first half and that lovely one-two with DP in the second). Came close to scoring too. 6

Nedved was probably our best player. Didn't cough up possession easily and was a real threat from deep with his crosses and shooting. Nearly found the net twice, set up DP's goal with a superb cross and nearly assisted Zalayeta in the dying minutes. 7

Trezeguet had a decent first half where he came deep to get some touches, played a nice ball over the top for Alex and hit the post with a header. He wasn't to be found in the second half though. 5.5

Del Piero had some nice touches, looked dangerous and scored the game winning goal. 6

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
i know they must be used to it by now but it must be harder to play well in front of a practically empty stadium.

who do you all think will top the group now, i still expect juve to get enough goals in vienna to top it although it would have been nice if zalayeta could have put the ball into the empty goal instead of wide

Gino Genesio

Nov 14, 2004
not a very good game guys but still we won and that's inportand let the good game's come in the nex round ;)

and We MUST PLAY MUTU MORE!!!
when he came in Juve was more dangerous en mutu looked really fast compared to some other Juve players

we must keep mutu because i have a feeling he will shine if he plays every match he is very very good and fast

FORZA JUVE!!!

Bravo alé ;)

179 goals :touched:

-Tom

Nov 16, 2004
Unbelievable how destructive Brugge played. They actually had a (slight) chance of catching us by winning this game and still they just lined up their players in front of the penalty-area.
That fact made this a quite difficult game, which was won by a more than deserved ADP-goal.

Zalayeta doesn't seem to be in the greatest of shapes since he wasted this penalty for Uruguay, his miss at the end of the game was awful.
Viera was great again, set up some scoring opportunities himself and showed his great passion.
I liked Chiellini, even if the whole defense was not tested in the entire 90 minutes.

Right now i'm looking forward to our last CL-group game in my hometown, with my participation in the Juve-sector. :)

Forza Juve per sempre!

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
edpiero said:
Congrats guys :)
how much more till del piero is all time scorer, 2 more goals now ?
He is joint top-scorer now along with Boniperti I think.

His next goal would make him the all time top-scorer in Juve's history.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Gino Genesio said:
not a very good game guys but still we won and that's inportand let the good game's come in the nex round ;)

and We MUST PLAY MUTU MORE!!!
when he came in Juve was more dangerous en mutu looked really fast compared to some other Juve players

we must keep mutu because i have a feeling he will shine if he plays every match he is very very good and fast

FORZA JUVE!!!

Bravo alé ;)

179 goals :touched:
one more goal, he's tied now.

May 4, 2004
Well we got a win, thanks to a DP goal :weee: against a very defensiv Brugge team... im confident that we will finish top at this grup, as Brugge will atleast draw against bayern in the last game, while we should be able to win away vs vienna (or whatever there name is)....

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Buffon Hails Strongest Juve Ever
11/23/2005 10:16:00 AM
The Biaonconeri’s goalkeeper also spoke about Del Piero and Ibrahimovic.
Gianluigi Buffon is back to train and his return to the playing field should be in early December. For the time being, he is watching his team-mates from the stands, appreciating their hard work, in particular that of Alessandro Del Piero.

“I often see him train, he’s fine, I like him, he’s tonic. He’s also fine in the head; he’s very confident and serene.”

Buffon has his ideas clear on who he would prefer between Luca Toni and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

“I wouldn’t change Zlatan with anyone, he must just improve his coolness in front of goal."

The Italian international would however want to avoid three players in the next round of the Champions League.

“I won’t make team names, but as a goalkeeper I would prefer to avoid Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy.”

One final judgment on this Juventus side.

“Since I’ve been here, this is the strongest Juve ever.”

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Azzurri7 said:
Buffon Hails Strongest Juve Ever
11/23/2005 10:16:00 AM
The Biaonconeri’s goalkeeper also spoke about Del Piero and Ibrahimovic.
Gianluigi Buffon is back to train and his return to the playing field should be in early December. For the time being, he is watching his team-mates from the stands, appreciating their hard work, in particular that of Alessandro Del Piero.

“I often see him train, he’s fine, I like him, he’s tonic. He’s also fine in the head; he’s very confident and serene.”

Buffon has his ideas clear on who he would prefer between Luca Toni and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

“I wouldn’t change Zlatan with anyone, he must just improve his coolness in front of goal."

The Italian international would however want to avoid three players in the next round of the Champions League.

“I won’t make team names, but as a goalkeeper I would prefer to avoid Ronaldinho, Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy.”

One final judgment on this Juventus side.

“Since I’ve been here, this is the strongest Juve ever.”

I really hope he's right. :sigh: I mean, don't you remember the days just a couple of years ago where Juve would destroy first CL group stage teams like Dynamo Kyiv 5-0 ... or even Olympiacos 7-0 in one of our crappier seasons?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 9)