CL: Club Brugge - Juventus (100 Viewers)

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
Great game tonight.
Notes:
1- We showed that we can dominate the field even while playing away and against a well managed team.
2- All players showed good charechter except Abbiati :down: He was very shaky. I am starting to have doubts on his abilities.
3- The ref was not upto the game. Vieira's red card was very harsh since he did not deserve to get the 1st yellow. Plus whats up with not giving Brugge's players any cards when they were really screwing our players up.
4- The only time we could have seen Del Piero is during the last 12 minutes. The team was performing too good to be interfered with.
5- Substitutions were good.
6- Blasi showed his versitality by playing as a decent RB.
7- Zambrotta is a king
8- Congrats Trezeguet
9- Ibrahimovic needs to work more on his finishing. His moves are great BUT he has to think more about the last touch.
10- Kovac -> good game

This game made me think about a formation:
Buffon
Kovac Thuram Cannavaro
Camoranesi Emerson Vieira Zambrotta
Nedved
Trezeguet Ibrahimovic

Or same with
Mutu
Trezeguet Del Piero

Buy on AliExpress.com

Danifan

Sep 15, 2005
I'm from Belgium and i was live at the match. Bought my tickets two weeks ago.

I was really suprised abouth the way we played at Brugge. You don't see Juventus much playing like this in a away game in the Champions League.

Camoranesi was really impressive , also Zlatan (the day he starts scoring more he's the best player in the world).

Only Abbiati wasn't that good... But lucky for Juve , Brugge didn't play good.

Gino Genesio

Nov 14, 2004
wow guys !!! we played absolutli FANTASTIC!!!
we could have won this game with 0-6 and i am not lying!

many belgiums sayed that juve is boring and chelsea is a very fun team to watch.
but they have changed his mind after the 2 game's chelsea played like crap yesterday and Juventus just blew brugge away! the same team that lost very unlucky againts milan 0-1 kaka and won in san siro via mendoza.

and Gues what de cock tellet belgium tv:
ik heb nog nooit zo een eerste helft meegemaakt we werden weg geblazen, Juventus is de beste ploeg waar ik ooit heb tegen gespeeld en ja ook beter als ac milan.
trans: i have never played a first half like this, we were blowed away by Juventus, juventus is the best team ever i have played againts and yes even better than Ac milan :touched:
i never dream about this happening , i see belgium news and they all talk great about juventus :touched:

Juventus Rules!
nedved back on form , camoranesi is simply class and trez what an attackker if stijn wassent in goal he would be already to his 105goal and zlatan dammmnnn what he does with a ball bud he nex time just shoot the ball in , and yes EVEN BLASI WAS CLASS!
and Kovac! a great back up defender ! finally! what a save on the very last min!
and sorry for abbiati i hope he plays better in the next game's to prove us wrong but he was bad .
emerson and viera is like bodyguards :D
too bad for the red card but he will be ready for bayern ;)
canna zambro they were allll great!

FORZA JUVE!!!!!

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Some points which I wanna say.

Putting Blasi as a RB is indeed dangerous + risky. However he did a decent job as a RB and links beautifully with Camoranesi. I would like to see him play more in this position against smaller teams.

Abbiati still looks shaky as ever, and look at how the goal is conceded. Had we bought Pagliuca, it would make a whole lot of difference.

And Capello's mentality towards his players are still weird, as what Stuart suggested. Sure he is a good coach, but shouldn't Mutu be in the game by now? What is up with putting Mutu on the bench when he is on fire? If that's the way Mutu is treated, I would't be surprised that he would be swopped in the January tranfers.

rokkstar

Feb 2, 2005
wow.... reading the comments makes me wonder if blasi can claim RB as his permanent position... somesort what zamboy did as LB...

just watched the highlights of CL......

we got off on the right track for Champions League glory....

FORZA JUVE!!!!

a deserved victory.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Capello admires Juve fireworks Wednesday 14 September, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fabio Capello admits he thought the Bruges game was going to turn against Juventus despite aiming 23 shots on goal .

“This is football and we should have won by a mile,” said the Juve Coach after the 2-1 victory. “I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many scoring opportunities in a single Champions League game and we played fantastically well against a very determined side that will always cause you problems at home, but we were up to the task.”

Pavel Nedved’s free kick and a Trezeguet lob eventually earned the win, although Brugge goalkeeper Stijnen performed a series of extraordinary saves and a late goal set up a tense finale.

“Trezeguet had several chances in the first half and was kept out by a ‘keeper who was performing miracles, but the 100th goal eventually arrived. It became trickier after Patrick Vieira’s red card, which I think was harsh.”

Capello was without a host of star players, especially in defence, and experimented with Manuele Blasi at right-back instead of the expected Federico Balzaretti.

“Balzaretti became a father today and did not sleep well last night because his wife was in labour. He was very stressed, so it was best to leave him in the stands today. Blasi has been tested in that position a few times in training and it could be a good future role for him, or for other players. I won’t say more than that.”

As expected, Bayern Munich also won their match 1-0 away to Rapid Vienna, so the German giants and Juve lead Group A with three points each. It has been a promising start for the Serie A sides, who all won their opening games.

“This is the beginning of the tournament and there’s a long road to go, but the team is on form. I am glad that all four Italian clubs started with a win, as it’s great for our football.”

There was another good representation of Calcio in the Champions League this evening, as former Juventus star Fabrizio Miccoli scored a wonder goal to ensure Benfica beat Lille in the final minute of their game. The Portuguese side now leads Group D ahead of Manchester United and Villarreal.

“We knew Miccoli was a champion and that he would be able to make his mark,” noted director general Luciano Moggi. “He is still on loan, so if he returns to us then it’ll be as a star and if he stays with Benfica then it’ll be for more than we originally paid.”

source: channel4.com

Vinman

2013 Prediction Cup Champ
Jul 16, 2002
Its nice to see everyone so happy after this "win", but let me remind you guys of a few things....

- We wasted way too many chances in the first half, almost on the point of embarassment

- Brugge is not a better team than Empoli, IMO...and yet we made them look like champions in the second half. This team shouldnt have even been on the same field with us.........

- If we are this wasteful against better teams, we are FVCKED !!!!!!

- Blasi is no RB...did anyone else notice in the second half that Brugge kept attacking down our right side ???Thankfully, Kovac saved Blasi's ass more than once !!!

- No matter how bad Zlatan plays, he will not be subbed....he had some nice tricks with the ball, but couldnt finish for shit !! DP or Mutu should have replaced him.....goals win games, not fancy tricks

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Match report

Juve start in familiar fashion
Wednesday, 14 September 2005
by David Minton
from Jan Breydel Stadion

Italian champions Juventus FC began their UEFA Champions League Group A campaign in fine fashion with a 2-1 win at Club Brugge KV.

Second-half strikes
The visitors created enough opportunities to have won more comfortably, but in the event Pavel Nedvěd's free-kick and David Trezeguet's exquisite lob - his 100th strike for the Bianconeri - proved sufficient. Fabio Capello's side were made to sweat late on though, as Jeanvion Yulu-Matondo pulled a goal back and Patrick Vieira was sent off.

Three changes
The hosts made three changes to the team that overcame K. Sint Truidense VV on Saturday. Joos Valgaeren, Yulu-Matondo and Günther Vanaudenaerde came into the side as coach Jan Ceulemans opted for a 3-4-3 system. Juventus, who brought in Manuele Blasi at full-back in place of the injured Gianluca Pessotto, were intent on getting numbers forward from the off.

Stijnen confidence
Indeed they started brightly: Nedvěd shooting centimetres over Stijn Stijnen's crossbar and the same player's volley forcing a fine save from a goalkeeper showing no sign of nerves on his Champions League debut. Stijnen barely had time to compose himself before denying Trezeguet from close range. The chances continued to come for the away team, summer signing Vieira having an effort cleared off the line in the 17th minute. Club Brugge's best hope seemed to lie in set-pieces, Olivier De Cock heading wide from a corner as the Belgian champions threatened for the first time.

Portillo opening
That opening helped Club Brugge grow in confidence and after Juventus's Christian Abbiati had failed to claim a 31st-minute corner, they would have taken the lead against the run of play had Javier Portillo been able to control the loose ball at the far post. There were now opportunities at either end, and Trezeguet went close to breaking the deadlock when, after a clever near-post run enabled him to reach Blasi's right-wing delivery, his attempt came back off the upright. Stijnen then produced two more fine stops from the Frenchman to keep the half-time score blank.

Nedvěd brilliance
As the second period began the Jan Breydel Stadion found its voice and the home side enjoyed increasing amounts of possession, Sven Vermant drilling a low shot fractionally wide. Jonathan Blondel, on for Portillo, and Yulu-Matondo assumed more defensive responsibilities as Club Brugge switched to 3-6-1, reverting to their starting template on the break. Just as they started to look more secure, however, they fell behind to a fine Nedvěd set-piece six minutes past the hour. Zlatan Ibrahimovic was fouled by Valgaeren outside the area, and the former Czech international curled a low effort round the wall and just inside Stijnen's left-hand post.

Exquisite finish
The youngster was involved again five minutes later, saving with his feet from Ibrahimovic. There was nothing Stijnen could do, though, as Trezeguet doubled Juve's lead in the 75th minute. Mauro Camoranesi was the architect, producing a perfectly-weighted chip for the striker's diagonal run, which Trezeguet matched with a superb lob. Ibrahimovic, who could have had a hat-trick, then thumped a shot that Stijnen did well to parry at the near post.

Late hope
That save looked crucial five minutes from time when Blondel's mis-kick, after Juventus had failed to deal with a corner, proved to be the perfect cross for Yulu-Matondo to mark his debut with a headed goal that renewed Club Brugge hope. That was further boosted a minute from time as Vieira was sent off for a second bookable offence, but the visitors held firm for a fine win.

source: uefa.com

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
What struck me about this match was the pace of play for the first half...very quick play for a Champions League match involving Juventus. As most of you know we missed a lot of chances in the first half, however we certainly did not have a problem creating chances tonight and that is certainly a plus. The Brugge defense did not look entirely strong, however Camoranesi and Vieira in midfield were causing them a lot of problems with through balls to a very active David Trezeguet...I don't think I have ever seen Trezeguet be so involved with play and work as hard as he is right at the moment. He worked incredibly hard to make himself available for his teammates and his diagnol run into space behind the defense to recieve and finish off the Camo chip was fantastic. In other words his form thus far this season has been some of the best of his career IMO, besides a couple missed chances today.

In the first half we really controlled the game and should have scored three goals, and we only allowed Brugge a couple chances near our goal which is obviously a good thing. Emerson and Vieira looked good in midfield and the passing and movement really helped our cause, just as it did this past weekend against Empoli. Hopefully we will continue playing at a higher tempo and keep the good passing going, but I doubt it will happen.

Blasi playing at right-back surprised me and even though he made some nice runs up the pitch on the right flank, I don't really think he was tested enough on defense. And when I say tested I mean tested in terms of positioning around our box when we are being attacked. In the first half Brugge only really had a couple attacks and they were focused on their right side of the pitch, and I don't recall seeing Blasi having many Brugge players run at him. Therefore, I believe Blasi is still untested at the right-back slot and even though he made some good passes up the pitch dont expect that to continue...and just wait till we play a team that can make us work defensively.

And Abbiati once again almost made me lose my lunch with a couple mistakes he made...he doesn't give the defense much confidence, that's for sure. He missed two crosses that he should have caught and the ball basically lobbed over his head for the goal...not good enough buddy. As I stated earlier I wish we had bought Pagliuca cuz he actually played a lot last season and looked good, unlike Abbiati who didn't have either going for him. This problem will hurt us again, mark my words.

Ibrahimovic was very active however he did all the hard work only to mess up the final pass, move, or shot. He caused the Brugge defense a hell of a lot of problems but just could not execute the killer blow, and he wasted a lot of chances. He even had the Brugge keeper out and stranded but waited too long to shoot and shot it right at the keeper...not sure what he was thinking there. I guess Zlatan is not very sharp this early in the season...needs to improve.

arc

Mar 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

And Abbiati once again almost made me lose my lunch with a couple mistakes he made...he doesn't give the defense much confidence, that's for sure. He missed two crosses that he should have caught and the ball basically lobbed over his head for the goal...not good enough buddy. As I stated earlier I wish we had bought Pagliuca cuz he actually played a lot last season and looked good, unlike Abbiati who didn't have either going for him. This problem will hurt us again, mark my words.
the only thing im worrying about, btw any comment on cappello's tactical change

Dan

Back & Quack
Mar 9, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Espectro ] ++

Fair enough just tell me one thing... how can Mutu can probe to be better than Zalayeta (in my opinion he is) if he doesnt get a chance to play?

Also, Mutu has been playing incredibly well in his NT, he also played great in Juve's preseason games... why isn't he given a chance?
It will come. Its been 3 games into the season, and he has made a substitute apperance on one. You can start talking about this lets say 5 more games into the season. There are only 14 players that can play (realistically 13 cos of abbiati, including subs) and his chance will come undoubtedly.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by TonyMontana ] ++

I am 95 % sure Mutu wont start the game unless Trez-or Ibra is hurt. Even then i think he would pick Zalayeta over Mutu simply because you cant just bump Zalayeta down to fifth forward without Mutu proving himself over Zala.
And that has yet to happen in Juve jersey.

Im am 90% sure Del piero will get to play in the second hald against Ascoli but i think Trez and Ibra will start.
HOW is Mutu going to prove himself when Capello is not giving him adequate playing time? And HOW is Zalayeta more skilled than Adrian Mutu???

OP
Maher

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #916
    Club Brugge 1 - 2 Juventus
    Nedved 66 (J), Trezeguet 75 (J), Yulu Matondo 84 (B)
    Jan Breydel Stadium, Bruges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juve struggled to victory in Bruges despite laying siege to the Belgian side and seeing Patrick Vieira sent off.

Juventus began their Champions League challenge in Belgium, but were forced to do without a host of top stars. Long-term absentees Gigi Buffon and Alessandro Birindelli were joined on the sidelines by Lilian Thuram, Jonathan Zebina and Gianluca Pessotto, while Alessandro Del Piero recovered from a muscular problem but could only start from the bench.

This forced Fabio Capello into a tactical gamble, fielding midfielder Manuele Blasi in the right-back role instead of expected starter Federico Balzaretti in a totally renovated defence.

Club Brugge won the Belgian title last season and could now count on former Real Madrid and Fiorentina hitman Javier Portillo in their attack.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic had the first real chance after 90 seconds, his angled drive going wide of the far post. The Swede was unlucky to see his move stopped by the referee when he was one-on-one with the goalkeeper, as his challenge on Valgaeren was harshly considered to be a foul.

Brugge could barely leave their own half in the opening minutes, as Pavel Nedved blazed over and on eight minutes the Czech brought a fantastic reaction save out of the goalkeeper by volleying an Ibrahimovic cross. The move continued and moments later David Trezeguet fired straight at the 'keeper after springing the offside trap from eight yards.

Even Gianluca Zambrotta had a go from 20 metres, forcing Stinjen to dive to his right and palm the shot wide with one hand. The Brugge shot-stopper was under siege and pushed a Nedved cross-cum-shot out from the near post.

A free kick was deflected into the path of Patrick Vieira and his finish cleared off the line by a defender, as for once Stijnen was beaten.

Christian Abbiati barely touched the ball, especially as on a Brugge corner he completely missed the sphere and only recaptured it after Fabio Cannavaro's intervention.

On 32 minutes, Nedved sidefooted an Ibrahimovic cutback and placed it just past the near post from six yards, as it became increasingly incredible that Brugge were holding on to their clean sheet.

The goalkeeper was again left stranded when Trezeguet met Blasi's cross, somehow sending it on to the frame of the goal and saving the Belgians.

Patrick Vieira earned the first yellow card of the night for a late challenge in midfield, but on the stroke of half-time Stijnen was called into two fantastic flying saves on Trezeguet. The first was on his volley, the second on a looping header from the resulting corner kick.

Juventus went into the break with the scoreline still 0-0 despite creating at least a dozen chances.

The second half started along similar lines, as Ibrahimovic disposessed a defender only to fire over the bar from a tight angle. Brugge gained in confidence and Vermant drove well wide from distance.

The seemingly endless pressure finally paid off on 66 minutes, when Pavel Nedved thumped in a perfect free kick. The Czech bent the ball round the defensive wall and it was struck with such power that the 'keeper couldn't reach it.

Stijnen proved he hadn't lost his magic touch yet, parrying an Ibrahimovic daisy-cutter with an outstretched foot to further frustrate Juventus. The Swede was brought down in an identical position to that of Nedved's set-piece, but this time Ibrahimovic took it and saw his shot accidentally charged down by teammate Trezeguet.

Trezeguet made up for the error soon after, as he scored Juve's second of the match to ensure the points were safe. The Frenchman latched on to Mauro Camoranesi's assist with the outside of his foot, sending the finish looping over a helpless Stijnen. It was an important moment for Trezeguet, who scored the 100th official goal of his Juventus career.

It should've been 3-0 when Zambrotta fought his way past three challenges, but Ibrahimovic miscalculated the flight of the cross and scuffed his shot.

Moments later, the Swede had dribbled round the goalkeeper and a defender, but hesitated and allowed Stijnen to save the shot at the near post, Trezeguet also missing the loose ball on the rebound.

Brugge did threaten when Victor Yulu Matondo skipped over a challenge, but Blasi got back in time to pluck it off his foot as he prepared to pull the trigger.

Emerson was left stunned when he was struck in the face by a fierce Balaban free kick and was able to continue after treatment.

Brugge made it a tense finale, as they grabbed a late goal to give them hope. A wayward shot from a corner kick was redirected into the goal by 19-year-old Yulu Matondo on his Champions League debut, but Abbiati had to take some of the blame, as he was way off his line and saw the header loop over him.

There was panic moments later, as Blondel's header at the far post was only kept out by Blasi's leg, although the Brugge substitute was flagged offside.

To make matters worse, Vieira was shown his second yellow card for a late challenge, sealing his first Juventus dismissal after 10 for Arsenal. Nonetheless, the Bianconeri held on for the victory at the end of a far more difficult match than they had anticipated.

OP
    Maher

Maher

Juventuz addict
    Dec 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #917
    it was the best performance for juve especially in the first half since a long time , we played the short passes like barca , not the long ones like we always do , which made us dominate all the game , we should have ended the first half with 5 goals but the gk was exceptional .

zlatan was good in movement but poor in finishing
    trez had bad luck not to score 5 goals
    blasi impressed me when he played as a RB
    zambrota was impressive as usual
    veira and emerson done their job
    kovac and canna were solid
    camo good and dynamic espially the assist for trez goal was very nice
    nedved was king as he was always
    Forza juve

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

HOW is Mutu going to prove himself when Capello is not giving him adequate playing time? And HOW is Zalayeta more skilled than Adrian Mutu???
    I dont know, maybe it will dawn on Capello sometime in the distant future. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 100)