[CL] Champions League 2012/13 (101 Viewers)

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Mourinho never could really implement a hard working 4-2-3-1 because Ronaldo and Ozil don't track back and Xabi Alonso is a fabulously overrated player who has bouts of extreme laziness at the worst times.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
Ancelotti will suit them better imo.

This wasn't a regular Mourinho side anyway. Most of sides are based around perfect balance and structure. They can go full-attack and get a 1-0 but also defend a 1 goal lead for 90 minutes. This RM side never excelled in defending, they are great on counter attacks but the rest is average.

I find their midfielder far from world class too. Alonso is great, but he isn´t mobile and flexible enough like Gundogan and Schweinsteiger were as ball distributors and most teams pressure him and mark him out of the match. Khedira is mediocre at best, he adds energy and physique but that´s about it. Ozil is good with the ball but doesn't help much in defence imo.

Yeah Mourinho's madrid is a fairly unbalanced side. The players dont fit Mourinho's style all the too well. It was very evident against Dortmund, where Madrid basically played without midfield when out of possession. No supporting players, little covering of any space and little pressuring. Alonso had to play the role of ballwinner, where he also is a player who excells when in possession.

- - - Updated - - -

Mourinho never could really implement a hard working 4-2-3-1 because Ronaldo and Ozil don't track back and Xabi Alonso is a fabulously overrated player who has bouts of extreme laziness at the worst times.
Yeah basically. Although I dont think Alonso is overrated, but if you play him he should be used like Pirlo; helped by players who move a lot.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Alonso is old you know.. you cant expect him to perform week in week out like he did at liverpool. Liverpool collapsed after his departure despite having exactly the same squad and coach (with a few signings) the next season. He is over-worked with madrid, just like what we do to Pirlo.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Alonso is old you know.. you cant expect him to perform week in week out like he did at liverpool. Liverpool collapsed after his departure despite having exactly the same squad and coach (with a few signings) the next season. He is over-worked with madrid, just like what we do to Pirlo.
t

Alonso is a quality player, but I think the players like Xabi Alonso and Pirlo with their mobility aren´t going to perform in Europe anymore with teams that are good at pressing or in other high-tempo games. Just look at Dortmund and Bayern and their midfielders Schweinsteiger and Gundogan, they are able to pick the ball from the defence, move across the center of the pitch and excell at vertical running and play different positions when marked and also offer much in defence. Pirlo and Xabi aren´t dynamic as those two. I feel those two are examples of how the modern deep lying playmaker should be, a hybrid of a playmaker and B2B midfielder.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
t

Alonso is a quality player, but I think the players like Xabi Alonso and Pirlo with their mobility aren´t going to perform in Europe anymore with teams that are good at pressing or in other high-tempo games. Just look at Dortmund and Bayern and their midfielders Schweinsteiger and Gundogan, they are able to pick the ball from the defence, move across the center of the pitch and excell at vertical running and play different positions when marked and also offer much in defence. Pirlo and Xabi aren´t dynamic as those two. I feel those two are examples of how the modern deep lying playmaker should be, a hybrid of a playmaker and B2B midfielder.
Exactly. People forget that these ball playing DMs are still playing in front of the defence after all. They are not exempt from defensive duties. And as the pace keeps increasing and the counters keep coming at friggin lightning quick speeds, I'm really starting to wonder if there is a place for these players nowadays in top level European matches.

I think they can play domestically for the most part and in some instances in Europe but IMO they are far from guaranteed starters.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
t

That's why we have Pogba to replace Pirlo - strong DM/B2B who can control the game's tempo while offering a lot of running and high deffensive workrate.

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
Like others have said, The squad doesn't suit Mourinho. At Inter everybody worked together defensively. At Madrid he has a mediocre defense and that is why he hadn't been succesful, Mourinho has always had a good defense at any top team he had at Madrid he doesn't have it.

Bayernstar

Heritage of Kahn
Mar 16, 2013
Real has failed so far, they couldn't pass 3 semifinals in a row, last final was in 2002, for a club like Real and their investment its just a big fail, also the Mourinho era at real was not successful. Same goes for bayern if they fail this year CL final again, 3 Finals and no win?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
The unfortunate thing for Real Madrid is that during Mourinho's spell they largely faced the best Barcelona ever. They obviously should have done better in those years prior, but they were somewhat in transition whilst Barcelona were coming towards their peak.

You can't excuse spending that amount of money, however. Even a shitty final victory like Chelsea's must have been achievable.

Bayernstar

Heritage of Kahn
Mar 16, 2013
Juventino[RUS];4150673 said:
1 year - lost in 1/2 against barcelona
2 year - lost in 1/2 in PK against Bayern
3 year - lost because of being weak in 1st leg and unlucky in 2nd
i really can't blame Mou, especially for the first 2 years
maybe true about first 2 years, but what about the third year? You have to blame Mou for the first leg against dortmund, that was an awkward performance in dortmund, especially he know how dortmund would operate, because of the groupstages.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Dunno.

Mourinho seemed really hacked off with the players after that game, as if he felt he'd prepared them properly and they had just failed to turn up.

Of course, that may just have been Mourinho trying to pass the buck, but that's not the impression I got.

Anyway, I don't think Mourinho has done particularly well at Real. It's still very rare that they play as a cohesive unit and little seems to have been done to address some pretty obvious flaws in their personnel (which may not entirely be Mourinho's fault) and tactics.

I would also like to hear an explanation of why the guys like Reus, Muller and Ribery (and even Robben lately) are able to play a full role in their team's play both in attack and defence, but Ronaldo is basically allowed to switch off as soon as Real don't have the ball.

Quite hard to create a properly balanced team when you have more than one player in the team who contributes almost nothing defensively. Even harder when it's a wide player, rather than a striker, who isn't doing any defensive work.

Ronaldo is a great athlete - at least comparable in that regard, if not better than the players I mentioned - so surely he could manage to track the run of the opposition fullback on a reasonably regular basis.

Teams like BVB and Bayern (and Juve, for that matter) are playing both phases of the game with all their players.

Real are choosing to significantly handicap themselves by not doing the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 99)