[CL] Bayern München 0-0 Juventus Sept. 30th 2009 (2 Viewers)

Primo

Juventus FC - Philippines
Dec 20, 2002
that is clearly not right...Marchi, Camo and even Diego were running back like animals to stop Bayern's counter-attacks...that is precisely why we did NOT conserve our energy and when our time came to step up the pressure in the 2nd half, nobody had enough energy and there was no movement going in the forward direction
I think you misunderstood me.

What I meant is that our focus was too defensive and if we lost the ball during an attack, we wouldn't put too much pressure to keep the possesion in the opponents area and get it back. What we would do was immediately run back to our area right away to defend.

Building on Ferrara's statement to run more risk, I think we need to conserve our energy for attacking and not run back too much because like you said, Ahmed, when it was time to attack we wouldnt' have enough energy to completely pour the pressure on our opponents.

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
All in all, a good result which could have went either way, a lot more Bayern's way but with the amount of chances they missed, we really should have punished them.

3 capital mistakes by Ciro:
1. Playing Grygera instead of Zebina. Grygera is useless going forward and is not much better defensively. True Ribery is not easy to mark but Zebina would have been much more useful, especially gong forward. There were a number of chances where we could have penetrated from the right back position but Grygera squandered it.
2. Subbing Trez out instead of Iaquinta. The latter yesterday had one of his worse games of the season. Was practically invisible and didn't look sharp at all. If anyone was to score a goal yesterday, that was Trez and not Iaq.
3. Subbing in Amauri instead of DP. I don't care about injuries or fitness, if he was on the bench, DP had at least 30 minutes in him. A completely off-form Amauri instead of DP is inexcusable for Ferrara.
1. I think Grygera was a "safer" bet. True that Zebina would've been able to attack more, but with his temper, I would say it's a 50%-50% chance he could get sent-off guarding "scarface" Ribery.

2. I'd be unsure about who to chose, for me Iaq and Trez are on par. They did deserve to start, however, it's a coin toss to decide who gets replaced.

3. True, we were already being beaten with the long ball game. If DP had played, it could've changed the game to playing the ball to feet.

One question I have over Ferrara was why introduce Poulsen for Diego? I felt this was a step backwards. DP could've replaced Diego in my opinion.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

1. I think Grygera was a "safer" bet. True that Zebina would've been able to attack more, but with his temper, I would say it's a 50%-50% chance he could get sent-off guarding "scarface" Ribery.

2. I'd be unsure about who to chose, for me Iaq and Trez are on par. They did deserve to start, however, it's a coin toss to decide who gets replaced.

3. True, we were already being beaten with the long ball game. If DP had played, it could've changed the game to playing the ball to feet.

One question I have over Ferrara was why introduce Poulsen for Diego? I felt this was a step backwards. DP could've replaced Diego in my opinion.
Poulsen for Diego actually made sense IMO. Diego is still struggling for fitness and Ferrara fielded a pretty attacking lineup, with both Diego and Camo. Replacing Diego with Poulsen gave us more running power which was needed at that time and more freedom to Camo. If he brought on Ale for Diego, that would have been to risky in a game like that. Ale should have been brought on for Iaquinta.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Good result. Pretty decent game by us. Of course, Bayern gave us some troubles at times, but that is inevitable if you ask me.
Still, we're going to have an incredibly difficult time to make it out of this group...

Buffon 6 - Did what he had to do, which was not that much to be honest.
Grygera 6,5 - Difficult start, which is perfectly understandable when you know who he was up against, but he held his own. Got better as the game progressed. Quiet in attack but I'm okay with that.
Legrottaglie 7 - Really good with some nice tackles and interceptions. Showed us that we can still count on him.
Chiellini 7 - Complemented Legro really well yesterday. Good game.
Grosso 6,5 - Comparable performance to Grygera if you ask me. Tries to attack more often, but his decision making is rather poor when doing so.
Camoranesi 6,5 - One of his better games of late. Some nice stuff going forward and he didn't "forget" his defensive duties.
Melo 6,5 - One of the weaker players on the pitch in the first half, excellent in the 2nd.
Marchisio 6 - Very slow start to the game, but he gradually improved. Probably the hardest worker on the pitch (from both sides), the distance he ran is dazzling.
Diego 6 - You can't fault his hard work (that crucial tackle was incredible), but he was mediocre at best when it came to creating & setting up attacks.
Iaquinta 5 - Not his game. Bad touches, unlucky moments, pretty selfish (should have left the ball to Trez at least once). Should have been taken out instead of Trez.
Trezeguet 6 - Hard working, some nice plays. Felt like he could have scored with a little luck / a better Iaquinta.

Poulsen 6 - Did well.
Amauri - Not on the pitch long enough to say something.
Tiago -

Brixity

Feb 8, 2006
I watched the match delayed but only managed to catch the 2nd half (which from what I read here was better than the first so I guess I saved myself). But I must say, when I was reading yesterday, I thought we got trampled but I didnt think so when I was watching it.
It was a good result with an average performance coz that was a really winable game given the situation that arose in the 2nd half with the tempo dropping and Bayerns dangermen not really creating much.
The guys that impressed me were definately Camo and Melo. You hardly see Camo put in such a heavy shift of work but he did that yestreday and also tried his best going foward when the opportunity arose

This might sound like a shit question but would a team as "big" as Juve rather finish 3rd or 4th in the group in the event of failure to qualify. Ive met some folk that feel that its too embarassing playing in the Europa League via this method. what you guys think? Hopefully, this remains just hypothetical

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Ribery was very frightening
We have to strengthen our defensive area altough they did pretty well clearing all Bayern`s attacks at the final ball I think our team should act better as a unit in terms of defence as I don`t think Bayern could trouble Inter in the same way they troubled us
Bayern played better than us for the entire game and altough they are on home turf I didn`t expect it to be that way

our attacking aspect is quite good altough our strikers finishing could be better Iaquinta did well in shooting while he turned to send it near the post but beside that his amount of chances is five times the amount he scores (not this game specificly)
I was very satisfied from Trez`s contribution in the 1st half but he dissapeared in the 2nd even if he probably would have scored should Iaquinta left the ball to him when he robbed Van Buyten in the Bayern area (Iaquinta pushed him actually...)
I think this match was lacking DP and DP could have made a difference with his dribbling and shots outside the area.

Ciro wasn`t wrong in replacing Diego as Diego wasn`t 100% and couldn`t play the whole match+ he saw that Bayern trouble us too much and a defensive midfielder like Poulsen did help out to calmer the attacks.

as for the table we must win our next 2 matches against Haifa and hope Bordeaux and Bayern don`t win a game each (I rather see Bayern beat Bordeaux twice)
If Bayern beat Bordeaux twice it will look like this (considering we win twice)
Bayern 10
Juve 8
Bordeaux 4
Haifa 0
which means anything but a Bodeaux win against us means we qualify+ Bayern already qualifies which mean even if we lose to Bordeaux the table would look like this
Bayern qualified 10 11 or 13 pts
Juve 8
Bordeaux 7
Haifa 0 1 3 pts
and then we face a relaxed Bayern that already qualified and if they get the 13 points then they qualify with 1st place and maybe even field 2nd team against us
so we should concentrate on beating Haifa twice and hope that the best case Bayern double win happen

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Hmmm, I wouldn't say that Poulsen did well; he was rather ineffective .
He was brought on for 1 thing only: to kill the game so we could finish it without creating much, but also without giving away much. That is what he did, so I think he did well.

Is it just me or was Ribery's scar a lot longer and scarier than before
It sure is a sight to behold, even more so in glorious high definition ...

Personally I have only 1 big regret. Around halfway through the 2nd half Iaquinta pressured Van Buyten & managed to win the ball from him. Trez came storming at the ball and ended up in a great position to take this chance, yet Iaquinta (from a much worse position) decided to go for it himself. That moment really could have changed the game...

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
Aside from Ribery's scar, his plays were frightening as well!

He was cutting inside so easily, this is a right back's nightmare. He was simply giving Grygera and Camo a lot of problems.

I was scared Camo would get sent-off.

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • V

V

That solo run, where we walked through Grygera and Chiellini, should have ended in a goal. That was spectacular.

Primo

Dec 20, 2002
Personally I have only 1 big regret. Around halfway through the 2nd half Iaquinta pressured Van Buyten & managed to win the ball from him. Trez came storming at the ball and ended up in a great position to take this chance, yet Iaquinta (from a much worse position) decided to go for it himself. That moment really could have changed the game...
I agree, I was scracthing my head when this happened...

:disagree:

NitK

Jul 22, 2008
I know its good to be confident in our team and all, but I wouldn't rest easy. We thought we had an easy 6 from BATE last season, it took a Del wonder goal to beat them 1st time round and a point in the 2nd leg (granted, Gio skied a penalty).

Hopefully come MH games, Del-Diego are back to full fitness as well as had a lot of playing time to gel.

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
The thing that really pisses me off is the fact everybody knew that Ribery + Robben would cause us trouble. What do we do? We invite them in instead of altering the formation & playing 4-4-2. We easily neutralised them in the second half when Poulsen came in. We should have started with a 4-4-2 & then get DP in in the second half.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I know its good to be confident in our team and all, but I wouldn't rest easy. We thought we had an easy 6 from BATE last season, it took a Del wonder goal to beat them 1st time round and a point in the 2nd leg (granted, Gio skied a penalty).

Hopefully come MH games, Del-Diego are back to full fitness as well as had a lot of playing time to gel.
Actually the 2nd match against Bate was only for the record it didn`t mean anything since we have already qualified it was our 2nd team as well if I`m not mistaken so you can`t really count that
as for the 1st match I agree

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
The thing that really pisses me off is the fact everybody knew that Ribery + Robben would cause us trouble. What do we do? We invite them in instead of altering the formation & playing 4-4-2. We easily neutralised them in the second half when Poulsen came in. We should have started with a 4-4-2 & then get DP in in the second half.
Yeah we should have left our best player on the bench...
I`m not sure Diego could play the 4-4-2
I agree that our whole team should have done better in preventing Robben and Ribery especially the later one but I think that should have been done regardless of the formation Ferrara chose to field

Ali

Conditioned
Contributor
Jul 15, 2002
Our best player didn't turn up. He clearly isn't match fit. Fantastic run to cut out the Bayern counter after he lost the ball but after that he was just queit. Besides the way bayern were tearing us apart made it impossible for us to do anything but try to give support to Grosso & Grygera.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)