Chievo set for Hellas merger? (2 Viewers)

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
Chievo set for Hellas merger?
Friday 28 November, 2003

Reports suggest Chievo Verona could merge with local rivals Hellas Verona in the near future.

The two clubs share the Stadio Bentegodi, but in recent seasons little Chievo has outshone its more illustrious neighbour by staying in Serie A and qualifying for the UEFA Cup.

Hellas Verona have fallen from grace since winning the Scudetto in 1985 and are currently struggling to avoid relegation from Serie B.

It is reported that the two clubs would merge together under the name Hellas Verona, but maintain Chievo’s squad and their President Luca Campedelli.

There has been confusion over the Flying Donkeys’ own current financial situation with claims – refuted by Campedelli earlier this month – that he was looking to sell up.

Why keep only Chievo's players, surely Verona has someone they can use :undecide:

Buy on AliExpress.com

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
Wow!!!!!! thats a big surprise......I assume they would be in Series A, as that is where Chievo's squad is?

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Actually, it's a valid question, because then the Verona players would just be getting a free ticket into Serie A :rolleyes:

Aug 1, 2003
really, erik? i didn't know they have one of the fiercest rivalries, i thought it was just a normal city thing. oh well. but it'd be unfair to see some verona players suddenly be in serie a.

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
It's a city thing but personally, I think it's more fierce than Milan-Inter or Roma-Lazio.

But others completely disagree with me and say the exact opposite so...

Layce Erayce

Aug 11, 2002
thanks for the sources people.

one thing i hate about news articles is that they never have the whole story.

why would they merge? is the verona owner looking to sell? why?

Slagathor

Bedpan racing champion
Jul 25, 2001
Hellas is near bankrupt and decades away from promotion to Serie A. Yet the club is immensly popular.

Chievo is far from popular, has it's finances in order but the stadiums are beyond half empty. There's no atmosphere for this team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)