Chess puzzles to solve! (5 Viewers)

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Qf6+ and Rh7+ are correct, but f3 does not mate.

After Qf6+ black responds Rg6 threatening the Queen, and then comes your suggested Rh7+.

The king is then forced to capture the rook on h7.

After that, one move seals the deal.

(There is an alternative mate here, btw, but it doesn't mate in 3.)

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

After Qf6+ black responds Rg6 threatening the Queen, and then comes your suggested Rh7+.

:agree: i guess i rushed myself :p

- - - Updated - - -

:agree: i guess i rushed myself :p

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot about the black rook, assumed the king would move down to escape

- - - Updated - - -

Q F7 to seal the deal

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
You definitely spotted the right plan, though, and that counts for a lot in chess. "Tactics" (like this sequence of moves) are often what delivers the mate, but strategy is needed to form the plan and spot the tactics.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Qh8 is correct.

1.Qf6+ Rg6
2.Rxh7+ Kxh7
3.Qh8#

- - - Updated - - -

In this one, black is obviously completely lost, and it's not difficult to eventually reach a checkmate position. But what's the shortest sequence of moves that propels white to glory? How does white mate in 3?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007

In this one, black is obviously completely lost, and it's not difficult to eventually reach a checkmate position. But what's the shortest sequence of moves that propels white to glory? How does white mate in 3?
Hmmm

I can see a checkmate in 3, but the black king needs to make a wrong move for that to happen.

Rh1 moves to h8
Black king is forced to take the pawn in g3
Then R moves from h8 to g8
king is forced to move to h2, h3 or h4. If he doesn't move to h2, then the other R moves to h1 and it's checkmate.

Is there another way for a certain checkmate in 3?

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Hmmm

I can see a checkmate in 3, but the black king needs to make a wrong move for that to happen.

Rh1 moves to h8
Black king is forced to take the pawn in g3
Then R moves from h8 to g8
king is forced to move to h2, h3 or h4. If he doesn't move to h2, then the other R moves to h1 and it's checkmate.

Is there another way for a certain checkmate in 3?
You'd get him in the end, but not in 3, as we would have to assume he's gonna move to h2. Good try, but not the answer to the puzzle.

- - - Updated - - -

But if f1 moves to f2 king can take the R in h1.
:agree:

- - - Updated - - -

There are two alternatives for a right answer (that mates in 3), because the king can go 2 places after move 1, but I can reveal that the first move is 1.Rf4

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
I'm not kidding :D

1. Rf4

King can then either take the pawn, or take the rook on h1. But either way, it's mate in 3.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
There are two alternatives for a right answer (that mates in 3), because the king can go 2 places after move 1, but I can reveal that the first move is 1.Rf4
wouldn't the king take the h1 rook anyways if that one goes to f4? or did you mean h4?

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
wouldn't the king take the h1 rook anyways if that one goes to f4? or did you mean h4?
He can take it, he's still done for.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, yes. Got it.

I was never gonna get it, though. Letting the king take the rook on h1 was never an option for me :D
:toast:

That's why it's so tricky, cause it's counterintuitive to give up such a strong piece.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
If king doesn't take the rook, though, but the pawn on g3, it's even more sexy, and I believe also why the puzzle was made. Cause then white just castles (the position makes it clear that white hasn't castled yet, since both rooks are on the kingside).

- - - Updated - - -

so the white king moves right one and then the rook goes on h?
Answer(s)

Alternative 1:

1. Rf4 Kxh1
2. Kf2 Kh2
3. Rh4#

Alternative 2:

1. Rf4 Kxg3
2. O-O
3. Kh3 R1f3#

- - - Updated - - -

Any of you fuckers wanna play, btw? :D

www.chess.com

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
If king doesn't take the rook, though, but the pawn on g3, it's even more sexy, and I believe also why the puzzle was made. Cause then white just castles (the position makes it clear that white hasn't castled yet, since both rooks are on the kingside).
Niceeee

Give us more puzzles for now. I don't even want to think about playing. Knowing myself, the first game will lead to 6 months of full obsession.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)