Charlie Hebdo massacre - 2015-Jan-07 (3 Viewers)

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Political correctness is becoming a problem, also when you take away religion.

What about this guy? Is his only goal to insult?
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/-sp-saudi-blogger-extracts-raif-badawi
Doesn't he claim to believe in freedom?
How can you explain this sentence for me:
I’m not in support of the Israeli occupation of any Arab country, but at the same time I do not want to replace Israel by a religious state ...
How does he consider himself a better person to decide for people how they should live? Aren't they free to live in the way they want? There is a big difference between claiming to practice freedom and in the same time attacking those who believe in religion.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009

How does he consider himself a better person to decide for people how they should live? Aren't they free to live in the way they want? There is a big difference between claiming to practice freedom and in the same time attacking those who believe in religion.
I don't care what he is saying. He's going to jail and being tortured because of his views.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Even if you believe that group is a robot factory, you need to respect it, instead of trying to teach it how you think it should be.

Right to be respected comes before the right to free speech.

OP
Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,490

You totally missed the point.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    I don't care what he is saying. He's going to jail and being tortured because of his views.
    And you care about that because he has viewpoints that you like. What do you think of those in Guantanamo? What do you think about the more than 2000 Syrians that have been tortured to death inside the jails of the regime just because of their views?

Simply, if you want to believe in something, just be consistent and talk about thousands of cases in the world, not just those who agree with your views.

OP
    Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,495
    Where is the respect for my group?

And without Freedom of Speech there is no respect for the individual.

- - - Updated - - -

And you care about that because he has viewpoints that you like. What do you think of those in Guantanamo? What do you think about the more than 2000 Syrians that have been tortured to death inside the jails of the regime just because of their views?

Simply, if you want to believe in something, just be consistent and talk about thousands of cases in the world, not just those who agree with your views.
    You clearly haven't followed him or me in this thread. It ain't Seven you are talking to.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I guess what I don't get is that there is a clear pietistic Islamic tradition of depicting the Prophet, e.g.:

http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2010/05/06/why-islam-does-not-ban-images-of-the-prophet/2383

So from an outsider's perspective, it comes off as a bit of historical revisionism and cultural conditioning (if not cultural amnesia). Culture changed that sought to outlaw what was condoned and even encouraged in Islam's past. And followers have been conditioned to feel insult ever since.

Just as when Catholic conservatives like the claim that Catholic priests have always been celibate, that was not the case until tithing and land-ownership became an economic issue for the Church. But people just recite it as if it were the absolute truth, not even examining the factual history of their own faith.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
    May 20, 2009
    Unless I am being lied to, yes.

Granted if you have the same view on Muslims as Turk have, then I might be wrong.
    I'm sure you can find some that don't care. But the other 99% do, even if they also hate terrorism.
    I don't care as well about cartoons but that doesn't mean I'm not offended, the same thing you will find on many other Muslims out there. The prophet himself faced worse than some stupid cartoons and he didn't act violently but to forgive and spread tolerance among us.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah. I don't know if people know that Hebdo is actually left-wing.
    Hardly the point. They kick everyone in the balls. Doesn't change the fact they're still pretty vulgar.

- - - Updated - - -

No one here (other than Seven) is denying that.
    Why would you twist my words, just because you cannot read properly? Hardly seems fair that I should pay for your mistakes.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    I guess what I don't get is that there is a clear pietistic Islamic tradition of depicting the Prophet, e.g.:

http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/2010/05/06/why-islam-does-not-ban-images-of-the-prophet/2383

So from an outsider's perspective, it comes off as a bit of historical revisionism and cultural conditioning (if not cultural amnesia). Culture changed that sought to outlaw what was condoned and even encouraged in Islam's past. And followers have been conditioned to feel insult ever since.

Just as when Catholic conservatives like the claim that Catholic priests have always been celibate, that was not the case until tithing and land-ownership became an economic issue for the Church. But people just recite it as if it were the absolute truth, not even examining the factual history of their own faith.
    :tup:
    A couple of years ago in my home state they dressed up a baby as Muhammed during his 'birthday' celebrations. ('If the Christians have baby Jesus, we shouldn't be left behind :D') Nobody was offended enough to kill anyone over it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)