Charlie Hebdo massacre - 2015-Jan-07 (3 Viewers)

OP
Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,461
    Personally I don't really care about it because I think those who made it are too stupid to be taken seriously.
    That's great. Altho they aren't stupid, they are rather insignificant.

But it doesn't change my question. Why are Muslims offended by the Cartoons?

It's not something that's inherent in human nature. So why are they?

Buy on AliExpress.com

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    That's great. Altho they aren't stupid, they are rather insignificant.

But it doesn't change my question. Why are Muslims offended by the Cartoons?

It's not something that's inherent in human nature. So why are they?
    It is because of the very high appreciation Muslims have for the Prophet. I don't know if you know this story or not. When The prophet Muhammad passed away, the whole community was so sad and full of tears when his closest friend ِAbu Bakr saw the need to gather people and tell them this sentence: "If anybody here is worshipping Muhammad, he just passed away. And for those who worship the God of Muhammad, he is alive and will not pass away ever".

This is just a story to tell you how much Muslims respect and appreciate the Prophet. When somebody comes and draws a man saying it is the prophet with a bomb on his head, do you think this is a very normal thing?

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
    If you belittle, even worse, insult, something that people hold extremely close to their heart, then don't be surprised if they're offended.

It's like the Pope said, if you intentionally insult my mother with the intention to hurt my feelings, then you can expect a punch straight back at you.

OP
    Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,465
    It is because of the very high appreciation Muslims have for the Prophet. I don't know if you know this story or not. When The prophet Muhammad passed away, the whole community was so sad and full of tears when his closest friend ِAbu Bakr saw the need to gather people and tell them this sentence: "If anybody here is worshipping Muhammad, he just passed away. And for those who worship the God of Muhammad, he is alive and will not pass away ever".

This is just a story to tell you how much Muslims respect and appreciate the Prophet. When somebody comes and draws a man saying it is the prophet with a bomb on his head, do you think this is a very normal thing?
    So in other words, you are being told to be offended.

And yes, I think it's very normal to challenge self-censorship in a Democracy.

- - - Updated - - -

If you belittle, even worse, insult, something that people hold extremely close to their heart, then don't be surprised if they're offended.

It's like the Pope said, if you intentionally insult my mother with the intention to hurt my feelings, then you can expect a punch straight back at you.
    He is a wise man, that Pope.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
    If someone tells you, please don't say or do so and so about so and so as I find it offensive, but you continually repeat those actions with the intention to insult, then you are the one with the issue.

You have little or no respect for the other person.

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009

Where's the line? You have no idea what I find insulting.

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    So in other words, you are being told to be offended.

And yes, I think it's very normal to challenge self-censorship in a Democracy.

- - - Updated - - -
    :D
    You don't believe somebody may really have an appreciation for a religious symbol in this world just because of this somebody's internal beliefs. Do you?

Mohad

The Ocean Star
    May 20, 2009
    For real?

Are you telling me that Muslims that don't care are still affected by the cartoons? (emotional viewpoint).

Perhaps you (!) should speak for yourself.
    Well yes, the prophet is a role model to follow and if someone insulted him, the same will apply to us (Muslims). How simple is that?

OP
    Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,472
    :D
    You don't believe somebody may really have an appreciation for a religious symbol in this world just because of this somebody's internal beliefs. Do you?
    I am more than aware of the psychological process behind the affection people have for their religion and I have no problem understanding them. I share a very similar affection for the Democracy altho it's down to me affection for humans and not a faith.

I simply challenge how few Muslims in here actually consider if their affections and therefore reactions to the cartoons are exaggerated by the communities, societies and countries in which Muslims live.

Just like many Westerners exaggerate their reaction when extreme Muslims commits a terrorattack.

- - - Updated - - -

Well yes, the prophet is a role model to follow and if someone insulted him, the same will apply to us (Muslims). How simple is that?
    Again speak for yourself. There are Muslims who do not get offended by the cartoons.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
    Where's the line? You have no idea what I find insulting.
    Well there are known redlines in each culture, and more nuanced ones for sub-groups within each culture. But if someone clearly tells you I find so and so offensive, please don't do it, and you continually do it, then you're flaming tensions and fires between peoples.

So for example, all jews find it offensive to belittle the holocaust, so it's now law in most countries around the world to belittle the holocaust and a lot of anti-semitic laws, due to violent European history towards the jews.

In the US, you have to be very careful about using things like the N word or you'll end up in trouble pretty quickly.

It is well known that Muslims are deeply offended by inappropriate portrayals of their Prophet, so it's fair enough if they request that offensive images are not disseminated. The treatment Muslims are currently receiving in Europe has many parralels with what the Jews copped in Nazi Germany. Offensive cartoon portrayals of Jews were widespeard in Nazi Germany - soon enough there were anti-Jewish street protests, similar to the anti-immigrant/anti-Muslim protests being held in Germany of late. We all know how it ended in Germany of course.

OP
    Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,474
    Well there are known redlines in each culture, and more nuanced ones for sub-groups within each culture. But if someone clearly tells you I find so and so offensive, please don't do it, and you continually do it, then you're flaming tensions and fires between peoples.

So for example, all jews find it offensive to belittle the holocaust, so it's now law in most countries around the world to belittle the holocaust and a lot of anti-semitic laws, due to violent European history towards the jews.

In the US, you have to be very careful about using things like the N word or you'll end up in trouble pretty quickly.

It is well known that Muslims are deeply offended by inappropriate portrayals of their Prophet, so it's fair enough if they request that offensive images are not disseminated. The treatment Muslims are currently receiving in Europe has many parralels with what the Jews copped in Nazi Germany. Offensive cartoon portrayals of Jews were widespeard in Nazi Germany - soon enough there were anti-Jewish street protests, similar to the anti-immigrant/anti-Muslim protests being held in Germany of late. We all know how it ended in Germany of course.
    You are mixing apples and oranges.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)