Charlie Hebdo massacre - 2015-Jan-07 (8 Viewers)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
My honest opinion, I find it hard to believe if those cartoons are for purposes other than provocation.
Allright, since i'm very dedicated to powerlifting, from now on if i see a satirical or cynical cartoon wich has a powerlifter depicted with siringes sticking out of his glutes and an exploding face, i can totally shoot the guy who drew it.

Cause he provoked me so i have the right to kill for that.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Allright, since i'm very dedicated to powerlifting, from now on if i see a satirical or cynical cartoon wich has a powerlifter depicted with siringes sticking out of his glutes and an exploding face, i can totally shoot the guy who drew it.

Cause he provoked me so i have the right to kill for that.

That's not what she said.

IMO it is hard to refute that the cartoons were not only a prime example of bad taste, but were also meant to provoke. And the cartoons they showed after the events were even more provocative and annoying. Satire and free speech are one thing. Insulting just for the sake of insulting another.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
They should be allowed to provoke. I'm not debating that. I'm just saying that they were meant as a kick in the balls to muslims. They had no other purpose whatsoever.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
They were primarily meant as a kick in the balls to Muslims who would want to shoot them for posting those cartoons.

The art of trolling fails when the trolling no longer has its desired response. Indignation wasn't enough for Charlie Hebdo to motivate the trolling, which is why moderate Muslims really weren't their targets.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
Eric Cantona: Paris attacks shouldn’t be used against Islam

Eric Cantona, the world famous football legend of Manchester United, has made remarkable comments on the recent Charlie Hebdo attack in Paris, France.

"What I want to say is that today, what just happened [in Paris] doesn't have to be used against Islam. Fanaticism is everywhere, but it concerns just a minority of people. The rest are just simple Catholics, Buddhists, Muslims," Cantona said during an interview with Euronews promoting his new documentary film "Football and immigration – a 100 years of common history."

Speaking to Euronews, Cantona, who retired from football in 1997, said that the Muslim world as a whole should not be blamed for the current tragic events in Paris and that he is convinced Muslims around the world condemn the terrorist attack.

"It's important not to say that a Muslim is "moderate", if he's just a citizen like you or me. What does "moderate" mean anyway? Does it mean that Islam is an extremist religion? This is a latent provocation, you see? And it's very dangerous. We don't have to paint everybody with the same brush. That's the danger I think," Cantona added.

The football legend also added that people are falling into despair due to the economic crisis and bad living conditions, which could lead to involvement into extremism.

Eric Cantona is a former football player of French background, who has played for international clubs, such as Auxerre, Martigues, Marsaille, Bordeaux, Montpellier, Nimes, Leeds United and most famously Manchester United in England, where he ended his football career.

Since his retirement in 1997, the football legend has been involved in cinema and acting. Cantona has starred in films such as Elizabeth, which also starred Cate Blanchett, French Film, and Looking for Eric.

Cantona has also participated in various social awareness political activities and campaigns such as protesting the 2008 global financial crisis, supporting the homeless and signing a petition for the release of Palestinian football player, Mahmoud Sarsak, who was imprisoned for almost three years by Israel without a convinction.

http://www.dailysabah.com/europe/20...-paris-attacks-shouldnt-be-used-against-islam

--

Nice read.

OP
Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,432
    Yep.

Similar message had the cover of Charlie Hebdo after the attack.

"We forgive you" was a message to Westerners: "If we - who were attacked - can forgive, so can you" ie. don't let this create hatred towards everyday muslims. Forgiveness (love) is stronger than Hatred.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    The magazine goes against pretty much everything established when the occasion allows so

they dont discriminate. They'll go against Israel, they'll mock europe sitting back, they'll mock the french politicians etc, and they also mocked islam. In a satirical way.

Thing is, people like Rebel then forget about all this, and go like "all they do is try to provoke islam".

No they dont, they create satire, something that is evident in neccecary in western culture.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
    Jul 13, 2013

ReBeL

The Jackal
    Jan 14, 2005
    Attacking Marine Le Pen for her views on immigrants and Muslims is an indirect defence of Muslims.

Quite simple.
    Also, read this: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=847981898600146&id=847889605276042

Open letter to Pegida (Anti-Islamic organisation, mostly in Germany, they've heavily tried to utilize the attack on Charlie Hebdo to monger fear against Islam) telling them to stop their intolerant and hateful bull$#@!. Signed by one of Charlie Hebdo's cartoonists.
    Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)