Charlie Hebdo massacre - 2015-Jan-07 (7 Viewers)

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
If people disagree with an editorial line they are more than welcome to look elsewhere for information. Of course that's an ideal, but in a pluralistic society it's possible.
Yeah, but more than that, they're also free to critisize or protest against the editorial line, and the editorial board of a newspaper is free to let go of a journalist writing hateful articles (within labour laws). I mean you can then again critisize or protest this decision depending on the specific circumstances, but it's not wrong per se in my opinion.

OP
Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,303
    Yeah, but more than that, they're also free to critisize or protest against the editorial line, and the editorial board of a newspaper is free to let go of a journalist writing hateful articles (within labour laws). I mean you can then again critisize or protest this decision depending on the specific circumstances, but it's not wrong per se in my opinion.
    Exactly :tup:

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
    Oct 2, 2001
    That's just hate speech.

But I wouldn't necessarily connect it with the Dieudonne case, as there it is the state itself dealing in hypocrisy. Tesson is just a whack individual, the sort of people you find in every country (in what quantity and with how large an audience strongly varies however).

Regarding the issue of free speech, I think there are two definite limits to it:
    1.) Calls for violence.
    2.) Deliberate propagation of factually wrong information with the intent of causing harm to someone.

Other than that, everything should be allowed legally. This does of coure not mean, that criticism or outrage in response to statements of others is not acceptable. How appropriate this might be depends on the specific case, but for example I do not, in principle, see a problem with let's say a journalist losing his job due to an extremely anti-muslim, antisemitic or anti-christian article or commentary of his. However, unless he violates the two boundaries stated above, he should not be apprehended legally in every way.
    :tup:

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    :tup: I share your gripe which is why I've continuously in this thread have argued why a ban against an ideology is the wrong way to go.
    You can't ban an ideology any more than you can ban a thought. It simply isn't possible. You can limit the freedom of expression when it might incite hatred.

The arrest of Dieudonné is very problematic however. As is the law in France (and Belgium too far that matter).

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    Kouachi brothers were as French as Sarkozy is. From the moment somebody is granted citizenship, nothing can/should differentiate between him/her and those who've been living there for a longer time. You don't really think that governments are giving away citizenship because those immigrants are cute. There should be a mutually respected host-guest relationship until guests truly feel home (not by forcing their culture) and hosts truly accept them (not by forcing them to give up on their identity). I don't know which side has done a poorer job of building such a relationship.
    True. If that was the reason, you'd be American now.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
    You can't ban an ideology any more than you can ban a thought. It simply isn't possible. You can limit the freedom of expression when it might incite hatred.

The arrest of Dieudonné is very problematic however. As is the law in France (and Belgium too far that matter).
    its downright stupid here tbh

- - - Updated - - -

The article says it all, 2 guys killed during a gun fight with the Belgian police and one injured.
    HLN headlined "it was like ghaza for a moment"

Massive outburst of people in the comments for beeing oblivious for the ghaza situation

OP
    Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,318
    Basically, fuck France.
    Shut up, you Hippo!

- - - Updated - - -

fuck! Now it will be difficult to enter Belgium since my name is Mohammed.
    Good luck Dildo. Perhaps calling yourself Niels would have been more appropriate!

:lol:

- - - Updated - - -
    @king Ale You are cute.

But Freedom of Speech is sexy.

Get it?

Mmmmmkay....

And yes, I'm an idiot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)