Charlie Hebdo massacre - 2015-Jan-07 (6 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I didn't see the press conference. I wouldn't be surprised if those guys masturbated at all meetings.

But you had to have considered that in their own arrogance, they think they are well in the right in their actions. That within a large Western culture in this modern era (they are not publishing in Egypt), the freedom of speech trumps any perceived slight that might seem unreasonable or out of touch with modernity. Not that I agree with them, but you have to imagine that anyone telling them that drawing cartoons can be so hurtful -- especially when it's their visual language since they were children and that they aren't exactly rendering Muhammad as an evil villain or a fool -- is outright wrong and needs to "modernize" and conform to their perspective.

I'm sure those guys are still mind-fucked that anything seemingly as innocent as rendering a real, historical figure in a cartoon -- even if in a positive light -- could be so incendiary for some people. Backing down from that instinct of drawing-as-an-innocent-act would be incongruous with their beliefs. To them, they probably cannot envision a pluralistic society where reactions like that are considered reasonable -- any more than many Muslim societies today think that women's rights, gays who aren't killed for being who they are, or atheists are reasonable.
I understand your point. I even think that they are well in their right to draw these cartoons and I am just as mindfucked as them that some of their coworkers were brutally murdered over these silly drawings. But I have a big problem with their complete lack of taste. And where when could argue that the cartoons were innocent (they aren't), I think that their current behaviour shows a much darker side.

Excuses Europe, always excuses.:disagree:
Europe is, unfortunately, gravitating towards the far right. But my point is that there are no absolute rights. It's all relative.

- - - Updated - - -

We don't have limitations of freedom of speech. Seems to work for us.
You do. You call it libel.

- - - Updated - - -

Good ol defamation.
There you go :).

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
So it's never truly free, not in the sense that it comes without consequence.
Well no, because then it would conflict with other rights. You have to weigh the balance. Besides, legal issues aside, there are always consequences when you say something.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I understand your point. I even think that they are well in their right to draw these cartoons and I am just as mindfucked as them that some of their coworkers were brutally murdered over these silly drawings. But I have a big problem with their complete lack of taste. And where when could argue that the cartoons were innocent (they aren't), I think that their current behaviour shows a much darker side.
Oh, I think they're masking some of their real feelings, most definitely, and they aren't very pleasant. They are seriously taking the piss at any opportunity. That much is in their DNA.

The thing about issues regarding public liberties is that the people who force decisions about boundaries of those liberties are almost never pleasant in themselves.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh, I think they're masking some of their real feelings, most definitely, and they aren't very pleasant. They are seriously taking the piss at any opportunity. That much is in their DNA.

The thing about issues regarding public liberties is that the people who force decisions about boundaries of those liberties are almost never pleasant in themselves.
Good point. I guess that's pretty self-explanatory if you think about it.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb0_1421188146

guess it's kinda common for those who lives there. still i find it disgusting; would the world be better with the Allah oh Snackbar or without? got no doubts about.
The world would definitely be better without radical groups like those. It would also be better without ignorant people, but alas, that is the way of the world.

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
The world would definitely be better without radical groups like those. It would also be better without ignorant people, but alas, that is the way of the world.
one wonders if extremists are just a little part of something better why it get so long to get better? the people there still living in a kind of dark middle age where they don't improve or try to change anything.

Honestly every time i read/watch this kind of news i always find myself amazed how such people can criticize western civilization

OP
Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,172
    one wonders if extremists are just a little part of something better why it get so long to get better? the people there still living in a kind of dark middle age where they don't improve or try to change anything.

Honestly every time i read/watch this kind of news i always find myself amazed how such people can criticize western civilization
    Said the racist.

Salvo

J
    Dec 17, 2007
    Do you really think the infrastructure has been put in place to get them out of this sort of situation?

Maybe because for the west these regions have just been disputed pieces of land rich with resources for them to take for their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Islam doesn't make people violent, people are violent because of their political beliefs and they only way they feel they will gain power. That is influenced by a number of things.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003

Don't flatter yourself, you don't really believe that your backward country can be mentioned in the same breath as other western european countries such as Scandinavian countries, the Benelux countries, Germany, Switzerland and the UK, do you?

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    Don't flatter yourself, you don't really believe that your backward country can be mentioned in the same breath as other western european countries such as Scandinavian countries, the Benelux countries, Germany, Switzerland and the UK, do you?
    :lol: ouch

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Wow :lol:

OP
    Maddy

Maddy

Oracle of Copenhagen
    Jul 10, 2009
  • Thread Starter #1,177
    :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)